Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    I have talked about this with several people on twitter and they all seem to have noticed this too. The 5s screen seems a little jumpy and laggy once in awhile. Not all the time. For example, it will happen when you exit out of a app or when you unlock your screen. All the icons kind of jump. Its like the phone doesn't know where it's suppose to be with the parallax and is catching up to where it's suppose to be. This is not a issue at all with the iPhone 5. It is just on the 5s and you will not notice it all the time. My wifes 5s does it too. I hope to see this fixed in the next software update.

    Anybody else with a 5s notice this?
  2. #2  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    19,988 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,217 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Hey, Garz. I've read here in the forum where others have mentioned the same thing. I don't have a 5S so I cant speak from personal experience. On my iPhone 5, however, the only lag I experience is animation we all get after unlocking the device. I'm not experiencing any other lag and have yet to experience any choppiness.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Hey, Garz. I've read here in the forum where others have mentioned the same thing. I don't have a 5S so I cant speak from personal experience. On my iPhone 5, however, the only lag I experience is animation we all get after unlocking the device. I'm not experiencing any other lag and have yet to experience any choppiness.
    Yeah there are no issues with the 5. I tested thoroughly on my 5 before I sold it. It wouldn't duplicate the issue. People are only seemign to have this issue on the 5s. Just hope a OS update can fix it. It makes the parallax feature not so fun.
  4. #4  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    19,988 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,217 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Yeah there are no issues with the 5. I tested thoroughly on my 5 before I sold it. It wouldn't duplicate the issue. People are only seemign to have this issue on the 5s. Just hope a OS update can fix it. It makes the parallax feature not so fun.
    I hear ya, and I'm sure that Apple will fix the issue. Hopefully, soon...
  5. #5  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Yeah there are no issues with the 5. I tested thoroughly on my 5 before I sold it. It wouldn't duplicate the issue. People are only seemign to have this issue on the 5s. Just hope a OS update can fix it. It makes the parallax feature not so fun.
    I had this issue on my 5S as well. It was annoying me to the point where I now keep this feature off until an update is found to fix it. This wasn't an issue with my old iPhone 5 also running iOS 7.


    Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:
    Garz (10-13-2013)
  6. #6  
    markhunsaker's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    481 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,141 Global Posts

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    I've seen it only when parallax is on. So I turned it off.


    Sent from my iPhone 5S
    Follow me on Instagram @therealmarkhunsaker
    Thanked by:
    Garz (10-13-2013)
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I had this issue on my 5S as well. It was annoying me to the point where I now keep this feature off until an update is found to fix it. This wasn't an issue with my old iPhone 5 also running iOS 7.


    Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah it's so weird that it did not happen on the 5 but it is on the 5s. I went to the genius bar this week and they claimed they had not heard of this issue. I showed the genius it. Took a few times to try and duplicate it but I got it to. He didn't even research it like they normally would. He said "Well I hope they fix it on the next update." smh
  8. #8  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Yeah it's so weird that it did not happen on the 5 but it is on the 5s. I went to the genius bar this week and they claimed they had not heard of this issue. I showed the genius it. Took a few times to try and duplicate it but I got it to. He didn't even research it like they normally would. He said "Well I hope they fix it on the next update." smh
    I find it odd that they would say they haven't heard of this problem since it has been posted as an issue on Apples own community website forum. Probably did hear of it before but didn't want to be bothered with this issue.


    Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I find it odd that they would say they haven't heard of this problem since it has been posted as an issue on Apples own community website forum. Probably did hear of it before but didn't want to be bothered with this issue.


    Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah I kind of felt that way. Usually the genius bar is very helpful and friendly but it was a rare bad experience.
  10. #10  
    GibMcFragger's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Mine did it also before I turned the obnoxious parallax off.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
    SeanHRCC likes this.
  11. #11  
    jmr1015's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    417 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    I believe the choppy home screen on the 5S is due to the parallax effect having issues with the faulty internal sensors of the phone... the same ones causing the inaccurate level readings.
  12. #12  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,187 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by GibMcFragger View Post
    Mine did it also before I turned the obnoxious parallax off.
    This is PRECISELY what is causing that little jump (which I have also noticed)...when parallax is off, it doesn't do it at all.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    GibMcFragger likes this.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    This is PRECISELY what is causing that little jump (which I have also noticed)...when parallax is off, it doesn't do it at all.
    But that is not the root of the problem. It doesn't do it on iPhone 5.
  14. #14  
    jmr1015's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    417 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    But that is not the root of the problem. It doesn't do it on iPhone 5.
    Because the iPhone 5 doesn't have widespread problems with the sensors that measure level and pitch. The parallax effect is directly controlled by these sensors... and many 5S owners, myself included, have sensors that are not accurate.
  15. #15  
    GibMcFragger's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmr1015 View Post
    Because the iPhone 5 doesn't have widespread problems with the sensors that measure level and pitch. The parallax effect is directly controlled by these sensors... and many 5S owners, myself included, have sensors that are not accurate.
    It's true. If you have screwy sensors, I advise you (or anyone) to head to Apple and warranty it. I did it today, and my replacement phone is night and day better. The level is dead accurate, the fingerprint reader picks up my print 100% of the time now (and faster too), and the OS is noticeably faster and smoother than my original 5s.

    Oddly, the production on the replacement I got was Sept 19th, so it isn't just a matter of newer phones being fixed, because my repl was also early production.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by GibMcFragger View Post
    It's true. If you have screwy sensors, I advise you (or anyone) to head to Apple and warranty it. I did it today, and my replacement phone is night and day better. The level is dead accurate, the fingerprint reader picks up my print 100% of the time now (and faster too), and the OS is noticeably faster and smoother than my original 5s.

    Oddly, the production on the replacement I got was Sept 19th, so it isn't just a matter of newer phones being fixed, because my repl was also early production.
    ​How did you determine the production date?
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by GibMcFragger View Post
    It's true. If you have screwy sensors, I advise you (or anyone) to head to Apple and warranty it. I did it today, and my replacement phone is night and day better. The level is dead accurate, the fingerprint reader picks up my print 100% of the time now (and faster too), and the OS is noticeably faster and smoother than my original 5s.

    Oddly, the production on the replacement I got was Sept 19th, so it isn't just a matter of newer phones being fixed, because my repl was also early production.

    Just tested my compass. It's spot on so that's not to blame for the jumpy and choppiness of my screen. Plus, my finger print scanner has been spot on so I don't see a reason to swap. I'll wait to see what software updates do.
    GibMcFragger and jmr1015 like this.
  18. #18  
    jmr1015's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    417 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Just tested my compass. It's spot on so that's not to blame for the jumpy and choppiness of my screen. Plus, my finger print scanner has been spot on so I don't see a reason to swap. I'll wait to see what software updates do.
    Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see what the next few updates bring before running back to the Apple Store again. Apple usually works out the kinks rather quickly.
  19. #19  
    GibMcFragger's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Just tested my compass. It's spot on so that's not to blame for the jumpy and choppiness of my screen. Plus, my finger print scanner has been spot on so I don't see a reason to swap. I'll wait to see what software updates do.
    Oh ok. I had more than one issue, so it was worth it to swap for me.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmr1015 View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see what the next few updates bring before running back to the Apple Store again. Apple usually works out the kinks rather quickly.
    I did test my wife's compass. It was off by 2. Mine was even. Hers that is off by 2 has a little less of the choppiness to hers. Smh.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by GibMcFragger View Post
    Oh ok. I had more than one issue, so it was worth it to swap for me.
    Understandable. I just don't like to swap unless I know for sure it's a hardware issue. I've swapped thinking it could fix something and it didn't. Then I inherited issues like dead pixels or other things and then had to swap again. Apple tracks your swaps and repairs so I only do warranty swaps if I feel like that's my only choice to resolve something or know it's not a software issue.
  22. #22  
    GibMcFragger's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Understandable. I just don't like to swap unless I know for sure it's a hardware issue. I've swapped thinking it could fix something and it didn't. Then I inherited issues like dead pixels or other things and then had to swap again. Apple tracks your swaps and repairs so I only do warranty swaps if I feel like that's my only choice to resolve something or know it's not a software issue.
    I hear you. I hate swapping also, but I can't believe the difference it made. My previous phone was hooped, lol. The most noticeable change is the fingerprint reader. It would take over a second to read my thumb on my original phone, sometimes taking 2 tries. This one is fast. If I wake the display up by clicking the home button, it's read my print and is unlocked the by the time the screen comes on.

    I am one happy man because my original 5s was about the same speed as my 5, and I wasn't that impressed with it after paying full retail for it.

    This replacement is definitely faster opening apps, etc.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
  23. #23  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,187 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    But that is not the root of the problem. It doesn't do it on iPhone 5.
    Oh definitely not the root...and since my 5S is like yours, and really doesn't have a leveling problem at all, I couldn't tell you why the jump is there when it's not on the 5. Like you said, hopefully a firmware update will rectify this "issue", really though, I don't even notice it anymore.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  24. #24  
    iVenom's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    299 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    I'm just glad I'm not the only one that has seen this. It is very quick and will just catch your eye when you go back to the main screen. Someone had a good point about the sensors maybe having a party in this. I am waiting for the next update before I go looking for a replacement, but turning off features to hide a bug is not the solution just a band aid.
  25. #25  
    spencerdl's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,833 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,483 Global Posts

    Default Re: 5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

    Thanks for the info and your awareness OP, this info brings me to another question. How often (estimate of course) does Apple send out device updates? As a potential Apple consumer this is kinda of important to me ....like my devices to run tip top ...SMILE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Iphone 5S without SIM lock?
    By iPhone4NL in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 07:33 PM
  2. LifeProof Case (Black) for iPhone 5 and 5s
    By scorpiodsu in forum Marketplace Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 07:31 AM
  3. iPhone 5s Screen Size Concerns
    By James Falconer in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 10-20-2013, 08:44 AM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions