M7 in poor coverage areas

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I read a review today that mentioned that the M7 coprocessor would help in areas of poor coverage with conserving battery life. I hadn't really seen that mentioned yet and wanted to know if any of you have experienced this? We live about a mile outside of official Sprint coverage and our batteries are constantly draining because of the weak signal. If this is true, this would be a huge factor for me.

The review basically said that the coprocessor would know when your phone was dormant for a long time so it wouldn't keep searching for a signal. It makes sense, I just hadn't seen the specifically mentioned anywhere else.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read anything about the M7 helping in batt life due to poor coverage. From what I've read the M7 senses and measures data from the gyro,accelerometer, and compass. So they A7 doesn't have to do it.
I have also read that the gyro,accelerometer, and compass are chips that would normally provide their signal to the A7 but now from my understanding provide it to the M7. The signal the gyro,accelerometer, and compass provide is integrated to the software by apps. So it seems the M7 just measures those 3 sensors that sense movement.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It's supposed to search for a signal less frequently when it notices the phone has been still for a long time like when you are sleeping.

This makes sense and the works exactly correct then thats one of the coolest features I've ever seen.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read anything about the M7 helping in batt life due to poor coverage. From what I've read the M7 senses and measures data from the gyro,accelerometer, and compass. So they A7 doesn't have to do it.
I have also read that the gyro,accelerometer, and compass are chips that would normally provide their signal to the A7 but now from my understanding provide it to the M7. The signal the gyro,accelerometer, and compass provide is integrated to the software by apps. So it seems the M7 just measures those 3 sensors that sense movement.

This is how I understood it also. That's all Apple talked about during the keynote. The review I read was the only place I had seen the M7 mentionted with poor coverage area's in mind. Hopefully, they were right. It would be huge for someone like me on the edge of service.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
i also thought the phone would not search for a wi-fi signal when you first wake it if M7 notices you are moving, like in a car or something. that will save a little battery power also, though i hardly turned off my wi-fi on my 5 when i would go out and about where there is no wi-fi signal.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just got back to another i5 today. While I was at the store I used a 5s and the compass cross hair for leveling was way off even after I calibrated it. But then again no one should ever attempt to even level a picture with a phone. It's just novelty purposes at best.
As long as the M7 functions as it should in games and maps then I'm satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got back to another i5 today. While I was at the store I used a 5s and the compass cross hair for leveling was way off even after I calibrated it. But then again no one should ever attempt to even level a picture with a phone. It's just novelty purposes at best.
As long as the M7 functions as it should in games and maps then I'm satisfied.

I A+B'd my 5S compass against the compass in my SUV and the 5S compass was dead on with it. The SUV compass doesn't display degrees. But with location services enable when the 5S compass read North so did the SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I A+B'd my 5S compass against the compass in my SUV and the 5S compass was dead on with it. The SUV compass doesn't display degrees. But with location services enable when the 5S compass read North so did the SUV.

Oh yea the compass isn't off by that much but a degrees if that. Now the level is off by a decent amount but the compass isn't off enough to bother me. Problem is that it's a chip telling the software where north it and not a magnetic instruments held in the hand. A vehicle still has a margin of error.

jrcase

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't the fact that the m7 doesn't look for towers or ping the towers as much while in a dormant state (or laying on a coffee table for a few hours) cause it to miss some calls? Or does the phone only need to ping towers when moving? If the phone slows down on the Ping rate and stays on the same tower, does the tower assume the phone has not tried to ping a different tower? Sorry if that is not clear. I just always thought a faster ping rate insured less missed calls.

Alienware_51#IM

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
Wouldn't the fact that the m7 doesn't look for towers or ping the towers as much while in a dormant state (or laying on a coffee table for a few hours) cause it to miss some calls? Or does the phone only need to ping towers when moving? If the phone slows down on the Ping rate and stays on the same tower, does the tower assume the phone has not tried to ping a different tower? Sorry if that is not clear. I just always thought a faster ping rate insured less missed calls.

The base station (cell site) controls the incoming calls through the paging channel. Therefore, calls will come through as normal, even when the phone is idling for a long period of time (granted they have service). Therefore, the M7 won't have any effect on incoming calls, text, iMessages, MMS, etc...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh yea the compass isn't off by that much but a degrees if that. Now the level is off by a decent amount but the compass isn't off enough to bother me. Problem is that it's a chip telling the software where north it and not a magnetic instruments held in the hand. A vehicle still has a margin of error.

Oh yea the car definitely has a margin of error. For this application if you were lost driving without GPS and say you just had the car compass and someone told you go North for 3 miles and there is the X highway on ramp. You would find it even if the car compass was a few degrees off. Because there's the signs. No one would or should fly a plane or sail a ship with the iPhone compass.

We also have to consider is the software relaying the correct info from the chip to us.

From what I have learned in the past few days is that the software is very critical in relaying information from the chip sensors.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Oh yea the car definitely has a margin of error. For this application if you were lost driving without GPS and say you just had the car compass and someone told you go North for 3 miles and there is the X highway on ramp. You would find it even if the car compass was a few degrees off. Because there's the signs. No one would or should fly a plane or sail a ship with the iPhone compass.

We also have to consider is the software relaying the correct info from the chip to us.

From what I have learned in the past few days is that the software is very critical in relaying information from the chip sensors.

Lol yes it's extremely important for software to work with the chip... It couldn't work otherwise lol. :) But serious yes u are correct. In fact it's very critical that what the chip feeds the software, that the software converts that into correct information. Say the chip relays a value then the software converts it into another value... There could be offsets and all kinds of other stuff that goes into what's displayed and I assume that's the problem, a calculation bug at its basic level. I expect this to he the case as this form of implementation is new to me.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner