Touch ID really inconsistent

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Touch ID has become really inconsistent after about a week. It stops working after there are fingerprints on the home button caused by using the homebutton several times. I have to wipe it clean with a cloth and then it works fine again. It's not that it's dirty or my fingers are, it just seems that fingerprints marks stop it from working. Anyone else experiencing this?

leslie haw

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmm I don't have such problems. The fingerprint ID works very well for me. There may be a few (really few) times it didn't work, but they were more because my prints were not positioned properly. The second try would work.

lush242000

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The press reviews states those issues. Things like sunscreen and lotion or eating greasy food would cause it to fail.

It's a nice feature but not one I am interested in at this day and time.

Sent from somewhere.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I can see where you would be upset and don't blame you , now i have to say that I have not heard anyone say anything about a buildup of smudges to keep the Touch ID from not working. Are you really sure that is the cause?
I read a good thread last night about the importance of position of your finger or in this thread it was thumb. Just for the heck of it please read this thread and try it. The reason is that there are some very knowledgeable members answering in this thread that would never have thought of doing this and after doing it, They were quite pleased with the results so there is never anything wrong with trying new advice and it might just solve your problem.

Here is the link to the thread in this same forum:

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5s/266441-tip-make-fingerprint-recognition-more-consistent.html

Schufly

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
First of all I really like touch ID. I have noticed that if the sensor gets smudged or funky, yes, it stops working right. Being a mechanic this creates a problem for me. I have also started to pay more attention to how I actually hold my phone and how I use it. I am also torn about the case I use because of the touch ID. I would like a more protective case. Like a Lifeproof Nuud. As I said I I am a mechanic, and I frequently(constantly)work around water. Maybe I am just still dazzled by the technology a little, because, lets face it......it's pretty frickin cool. There is nothing else out there like it that I am aware of.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That sucks you're experiencing that, I've not experienced that at all..the touch ID has been nothing BUT consistent for me, 99.999999999999999% of the times I've used it it's unlocked without issue the first try.

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
i have had the phone since the 20th and have not had any touch id issues first i don't put greasy food hands on my phone period even before we had touch id wipe my hands before touching since grease causes everything to become slippery. Not sure why folks go on about issues nothing is perfect and this thing works about 98 percent of the time that qualifies as great nothing is gonna ever be 100% accurate every day every min every second i say redo the finger print and let muscle memory set in as it has with me i pick up my phone the same way now and my thumb automatically goes to the correct position out of habit. good luck buddy but its great for me.

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, I'll take it to the Apple store to have it checked out since I can reproduce the problem fairly consistently. I've also checked diagnostic logs and none are related to Touch ID.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a few issues at first, but learned that it was user error on my part for lifting off too early during initial programming. Re-did both thumb prints and haven't had any issues.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I get the Try Again message it's pilot error. Having 2 thumb print profiles really makes a difference for me. It's smart that the software allows multiple print profiles. Could you imagine if it only allowed one profile ?

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yup, mines defective for sure. I restored my phone and now I can't even set up a finger print. The red lines appear and recede as it's telling me to press my finger down. Gonna get it replaced saturday hopefully.

Donnee

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed similar problems when I've had grease on my hands but I reckon that's not a bug, its a feature! Just needs to add a Siri voice saying "Wash your hands first damnit or you'll be cleaning the screen for the next hour"

In normal use I've only really hand it once or twice where it's not recognised my prints though so can't really complain, apart from when I tried to turn off the alarm with the wrong finger this morning and ended up having to punch in a pin code like some kind of savage

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I would say to take it in to the Apple store and have them look at it if it's that bad. Aside from a couple of anomalies my 5S has been 99% with TouchID since launch day. I have three fingers trained and I can remember only a handful of times I've gotten the "try again" message on the lock screen.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that mind wont work if my fingers are wet.

Holding a glass of water, condensation got my finger wet. It wouldnt work until I wiped my finger

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that mind wont work if my fingers are wet.

Holding a glass of water, condensation got my finger wet. It wouldnt work until I wiped my finger

I wouldn't recommend touching your home button with wet fingers anyway. This may cause problems with the new touch censor over time.

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Genius bar appointment set up for tomorrow at 4:10 PST... Really unfortunate considering I have to spend money on screen protectors again...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro