Really missing Activesync Gmail (a mini rant)

gravage

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Back when Google announced that they'd be dropping Activesync support, I was pretty upset. I even switched to Live mail for a time and it was pretty good. However, I switch phones pretty regularly and when you use an Android phone, it doesn't make sense to use anything else for mail, especially with all the great Google Now innovations.

When I restored my iPad 3, it let me keep my exchange account, probably because the device ID was already authorized on Google's servers. I was hoping when I got my iPhone 5s that it would let me keep the Activesync account from my iPhone 5 when I restored it. It didn't.

The Gmail app is great and I get my notifications right away. However, I really like iOS's mail app and would have loved to keep all of my mail in one place. IMAP simply isn't fast enough for my primary account. I have tested it and it sometimes takes 15 minutes (sometimes longer) for new mail to come in.

I'm aware of all of the workarounds (forwarding to Live or iCloud, etc), but it's just not the same. I really miss the days of Gmail Activesync support on all of my devices, especially my iOS devices.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Meh - I switched to the default Gmail setup a while ago knowing I was going to forced to stop using Exchange with my new 5S and it works fine for my needs on a 15-minute fetch schedule. And now that they added contacts sync so I don't have to add a CardDAV account I'm good to go. My work account is a Gmail backbone too so I'm all in. I can't use the Gmail app because it doesn't have a unified inbox -- there's my mini-rant if I had one...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
That's one of the reasons I went back to my iphone 5 from the 5S. Still have exchange gmail going on it. One of these days I'll have to change to something else but it's not today..

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
For anyone that needs it this badly, you can simply pay the annual fee for a Google Apps account, which does support push mail among other features. Great service!

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
With the way things are going between Apple and Google, I wonder when the services will not be combatable altogether. I know currently Google makes a lot of money off of iOS users, However at some point as android becomes more and more used, i wonder if they'll cut us off.

Etios

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Better try outlook.com, Gmail and Google are steadily fortifying their proprietary standards as they have gained massive userbase with Gmail and Android, they can afford to lose few users as it won't make a big difference now.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Back when Google announced that they'd be dropping Activesync support, I was pretty upset. I even switched to Live mail for a time and it was pretty good. However, I switch phones pretty regularly and when you use an Android phone, it doesn't make sense to use anything else for mail, especially with all the great Google Now innovations.

When I restored my iPad 3, it let me keep my exchange account, probably because the device ID was already authorized on Google's servers. I was hoping when I got my iPhone 5s that it would let me keep the Activesync account from my iPhone 5 when I restored it. It didn't.

The Gmail app is great and I get my notifications right away. However, I really like iOS's mail app and would have loved to keep all of my mail in one place. IMAP simply isn't fast enough for my primary account. I have tested it and it sometimes takes 15 minutes (sometimes longer) for new mail to come in.

I'm aware of all of the workarounds (forwarding to Live or iCloud, etc), but it's just not the same. I really miss the days of Gmail Activesync support on all of my devices, especially my iOS devices.

You can try nuevasync.com. $30 a year with a 10 day free trial. I tried it for a few days and it work great but decided to go with @outlook & @iCloud instead of paying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2