Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By JustMe'D
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 1 Post By John Yester
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 2 Post By heberman
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Default Apple Trade In Program

Hello all - Do you know if Apple will be having a trade in program to go from the 5 to 5s as they have done in the past?

Thanks in advance!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Default Re: Apple Trade In Program

Thread moved to the iPhone 5S forum.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,151 Global Posts

They bought my 4s.

Sent from somewhere.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Just FYI...the value you see on their website is NOT the accurate value you will get for your iPhone when trading it in. For sh*ts and giggles, I asked how much my 64GB 4S I was temporarily using after selling my first 5S was worth...the online service listed $225 value, but in store, the value was $170. When asked why there was such a significant difference on a phone that was literally perfect in every way, and was told "The online service is just a general guess..." (still didn't make sense to me that a general guess would be off by that much but oh well).

Don't be surprised if you get lower than the estimate, even if your phone is in mint condition. The best trade in service that I have read/heard about so far is Best Buy...their price is solid, what you see online is what you are offered in the store, as long as your iPhone is in the condition you defined in your initial value inquiry.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Oh ok - So when you trade in, it's not for free? I don't know this stuff works. Any idea of where I can find more details?

Global Posts
    15,545 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Trade in is not a equal value...

Take it as a discount....

Just like a car.. You put the principal towards the new device.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

Jaguarr40 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,061 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Thank you for the updated info. Fortunately I sold my 4S 16GB for stupid money to my neighbor which will allow my purchase of my 5S Space Gray 32 GB with Applecare + and no money out of pocket. Except for walking out of the Apple store store where there is a Zagg kiosk that i will stop to get the screen protector just like I use now, That will be my only out of pocket. I even have the same case I use now but for 5S and did not even have to buy that.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    Thank you for the updated info. Fortunately I sold my 4S 16GB for stupid money to my neighbor
    Hope your neighbor isn't on here!

Too bad they don't take S3s...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,841 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Thank you for the updated info. Fortunately I sold my 4S 16GB for stupid money to my neighbor which will allow my purchase of my 5S Space Gray 32 GB with Applecare + and no money out of pocket. Except for walking out of the Apple store store where there is a Zagg kiosk that i will stop to get the screen protector just like I use now, That will be my only out of pocket. I even have the same case I use now but for 5S and did not even have to buy that.
    Can I get there number lol
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,061 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Pager View Post
    Hope your neighbor isn't on here!

Too bad they don't take S3s...
    It's all good with him. He made the offer to me!! I just simply said well OK...
    ~JAG~

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,061 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Can I get there number lol
    I think his wife is going to bug the you know what out of him to she gets a 4S also, i will inquire in the morning and let you know.
    ~JAG~

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Honestly OP...you should try selling your iPhone before using the trade in program. It's just taking money out of your pocket...and selling the iPhone is really not that labor intensive. eBay and Craigslist are good options...eBay is running $100+ over trade in values and Craigslist is about the same. I don't know about you, but $100 is worth a trip to the UPS store or down the road to a Starbucks to sell it privately.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Oofa likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Trade in program are ****ake!

It is best to sell it yourself. Some hassle but at least i feel better than getting ripped off by these so called convenient programs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

I think his wife is going to bug the you know what out of him to she gets a 4S also, i will inquire in the morning and let you know.
    Lol - The minute they start looking at phones for her, dude will toilet-paper your house! He could have gotten a 64GB 5 for that price ( vs a 16 GB 4s)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    2,772 Global Posts

I traded in a 4s at the Apple store and used the credit to purchase the 5s. I could have sold it to a 3rd party instead for a few more bucks but it wasn't worth the hassle to me.

Quick and easy and a decent trade-in value.
    Rocket_Girl and mzengr like this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Anyone try the trade-in service at Best Buy? I heard they were giving a little more cash for iPhones.
    iMore Newbie

I actually traded my 5 64 gig in at ATT AND RECEIVED 275.00 credit. While it was fairly hassle free, I was a lil peeved to find that I could have done significantly better selling it privately. On the plus side, I returned the space gray 64 gig to ATT once apple confirmed they had a 64 gig in gold and for my trouble, paid no tax on it. Help from the right Apple business rep.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by aarontodd View Post
    I actually traded my 5 64 gig in at ATT AND RECEIVED 275.00 credit. While it was fairly hassle free, I was a lil peeved to find that I could have done significantly better selling it privately. On the plus side, I returned the space gray 64 gig to ATT once apple confirmed they had a 64 gig in gold and for my trouble, paid no tax on it. Help from the right Apple business rep.
    That's highway robbery there. They rob u with a straight face. iPhone 5 64gb is easily worth over $500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    I traded in a 4s at the Apple store and used the credit to purchase the 5s. I could have sold it to a 3rd party instead for a few more bucks but it wasn't worth the hassle to me.

Quick and easy and a decent trade-in value.
    Few more bucks ≠ $100+ dollars. I don't care how much money you have going into the purchase, the difference between trade in and private market is staggering.
    iMore Beginner

I traded yesterday my 4S 16gb for a 5S at the apple store for 178$. I sold all my older phones on the local classifieds with no problems whatsoever, however, this time with the release of the 5C and 5S I wasn't able to sell it with price reduced to 200$. I've got tired of waiting and negotiating and just did the trade.. (Still have my 5 - might keep it as a backup) .
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Here's something to think about when you're considering a trade in or sale of your iPhone 4S or newer...the iPod Touch starts at $229 for the 16GB model, and interestingly enough, it's almost like an exact combo of the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5, sharing features from both devices to create an iPod. $229...for the entry level iPod, that doesn't include a cellular antenna, and shares some features that are over 2 years old now.

Now...when you go to trade in your iPhone 4S or 5 for the hilarious offers they are giving...I hope you really think about what you're doing, and what you're giving away. Top value requires a MINT condition device, would you be willing to give a mint condition car up for dealership trade in if selling your car was as easy as selling the iPhone? I didn't think so.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,098 Global Posts

Good thread. I think the theme and advice here is "be wise with your money".

Out of curiosity, I just checked Gazelle. For a 64GB 4S in good condition, they quote $170, and $180 for flawless.

I wonder if the Apple tradein program has any bearing on market conditions or tradein values? Best Buy seems to be bucking that trend somewhat from what's been shared in this thread.

In either case, I'm hanging on to my 4S as a backup phone.
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 7

I looked at all the trade in programs and since I had such a great experience with Gazelle last year I went with them this year. If I agreed to sell my iPhone 4S white 64 on AT&T before 9/20 they would give me $220. I have until 10/15/13 to send in my 4S to keep this offer. After the 5S release prices for trade ins did begin to go down.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    790 Global Posts

Default Apple Trade In Program

Beat buy offers great prices at the moment. I got $345 for my iPhone 5 because if it's excellent condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
    Last edited by evorc; 10-06-2013 at 03:05 PM.