Lock/Power button

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
So I noticed my Lock/Power button on top of the phone seems very close to flush with the frame. Is this just the way the button is on the 5S? Or is mine smashed in too far? I also notice the feel of the "click" is somewhat mushy... not as firm or pronounced as the button on my girlfriends iPhone 5.

So far it functions fine... but it just seems off to me. Anyone else experience this? Should I just live with it? Or try and swap it out for a different one?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You would have to ask your self how much effort you have placed so far into making it yours? I mean with all your setting and such. If everything works fine and operates as you expect it to, Try not to compare it with your Gfs. Remember you have a year warranty and if something happens you are going to be covered. The long and short of it, it is your decision but I would let it be.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
So I noticed my Lock/Power button on top of the phone seems very close to flush with the frame. Is this just the way the button is on the 5S? Or is mine smashed in too far? I also notice the feel of the "click" is somewhat mushy... not as firm or pronounced as the button on my girlfriends iPhone 5.

So far it functions fine... but it just seems off to me. Anyone else experience this? Should I just live with it? Or try and swap it out for a different one?

My lock/power button stopped working this past Friday. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with it prior but when I went to turn my phone off it was nearly flush and wouldn't move. I took it to Apple on Saturday and exchanged it.

I wouldn't worry right now if it still works.

Brady KEITH

Banned
Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
you went so far as to post about it. so, swap it...no doubt. the anxiety of a mushy/flush power button will be worth the effort of "making it yours" again. (quote courtesy of Jaguarr40...qft).

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
You would have to ask your self how much effort you have placed so far into making it yours? I mean with all your setting and such. If everything works fine and operates as you expect it to, Try not to compare it with your Gfs. Remember you have a year warranty and if something happens you are going to be covered. The long and short of it, it is your decision but I would let it be.

Nothing that can't be restored from Backup... and even if I set up as new, it wouldn't be all that bad.

But I see your point. Everything does work as I expected, other than the mushy Power/Lock button.

My lock/power button stopped working this past Friday. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with it prior but when I went to turn my phone off it was nearly flush and wouldn't move. I took it to Apple on Saturday and exchanged it.

I wouldn't worry right now if it still works.

Hmm... kinda makes me want to run to the Apple store right now... but again, good point: If it's working, I guess I could just let it be.

you went so far as to post about it. so, swap it...no doubt. the anxiety of a mushy/flush power button will be worth the effort of "making it yours" again. (quote courtesy of Jaguarr40...qft).

I'm fighting that gut feeling to want it replaced. I have fairly bad OCD, and it bothers me to no end, but I really have been trying to let stuff go that more "normal" people wouldn't sweat... that's more the reason I'm asking what to do. My OCD is one of the reasons I find myself using most Apple products. Apple's build quality is usually good enough to keep me happy.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That would bother me too actually. I had a 4 a few years back where the home button seemed to sink a bit too far into the phone (you could really notice the edge around the button physically), and it no longer clicked. It drove me crazy, even though it did still work.

If it seems off to you, set up a genius apointment and have them take a look at it.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Nothing that can't be restored from Backup... and even if I set up as new, it wouldn't be all that bad.

But I see your point. Everything does work as I expected, other than the mushy Power/Lock button.

Hmm... kinda makes me want to run to the Apple store right now... but again, good point: If it's working, I guess I could just let it be.

I'm fighting that gut feeling to want it replaced. I have fairly bad OCD, and it bothers me to no end, but I really have been trying to let stuff go that more "normal" people wouldn't sweat... that's more the reason I'm asking what to do. My OCD is one of the reasons I find myself using most Apple products. Apple's build quality is usually good enough to keep me happy.

Yea if you have OCD you should definitely take it to Apple and let them look at it. It hasn't been 2 weeks yet so they'll either fix it or replace it. You'll feel better!!!!

WhiteRa

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
When shaking the device, it makes a distinct rattling sound near the lock/power button area.
My power/lock button and the mute button seems a bit loose.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
That would bother me too actually. I had a 4 a few years back where the home button seemed to sink a bit too far into the phone (you could really notice the edge around the button physically), and it no longer clicked. It drove me crazy, even though it did still work.

If it seems off to you, set up a genius apointment and have them take a look at it.

I think that is probably my best course of action.

Yea if you have OCD you should definitely take it to Apple and let them look at it. It hasn't been 2 weeks yet so they'll either fix it or replace it. You'll feel better!!!!

Yeah, it hasn't even been two days, let alone two weeks. I ordered it and picked it up Tuesday afternoon.

When shaking the device, it makes a distinct rattling sound near the lock/power button area.
My power/lock button and the mute button seems a bit loose.

Mine does this as well. A very distinct metallic rattle from the Lock/Power button, if I shake the phone, or set the phone down, or pick it up. I can get the sound by placing my finger extremely gently against the button and wiggling it about a bit.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

You will be OK , Just hang in there and let it go. Now enjoy your phone and let that be the link to take over what you are feeling. :)

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys sure it's your power button rattling? The camera internals rattle when you shake the phone (it's normal), so that may be what you are hearing.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys sure it's your power button rattling? The camera internals rattle when you shake the phone (it's normal), so that may be what you are hearing.

I used to hear that camera rattle on my 4s but not on my 5s. I read in a post about the lock button being kind of flush with the top of the 5s. I think mine is like that but it seems fine to me. It does take a little effort to press the lock button when I have the Apple Leather case on. That doesn't bother me either.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Went to the Apple Store this afternoon. After inspecting my phone, they decided to replace it. The new one's lock button is the appropriate height and the clicking action is firm and level. It is however, just as "loose" feeling and rattles just as much as the last one. I can live with that, as it is most likely normal.

I also took the opportunity to add AppleCare+ to the iPhone... so I can breathe a little easier until my next upgrade.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
It was a smart move to take it to Apple. The power buttons tend to act up after awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I used to hear that camera rattle on my 4s but not on my 5s. I read in a post about the lock button being kind of flush with the top of the 5s. I think mine is like that but it seems fine to me. It does take a little effort to press the lock button when I have the Apple Leather case on. That doesn't bother me either.

Mine sits quite low also. Harder to press than the one on my 5 was.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2