Unexpected unlocked iPhone 5s

SteveP

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I purchased an iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray (GSM) AT&T model at full price of US$849. I had hoped that unlocked phones would be available but was told not yet. I figured that with the 30 day return policy I could exchange it when unlocked models were available.

Out of curiosity I decided to use Check IMEI - IMEI.info to see if it confirms that my phone is indeed locked. The web site surprised me by saying the phone was unlocked. I then got the bright idea to test this by using a T-Mobile SIM which I did not have. I ended up at SIM Card details from T-Mobile and found that T-Mobile would send me a Pay As You Go SIM for 0.99?, $1.05 with tax. I put it in my phone a little while ago and it happily displayed the T-Mobile logo up in the corner.

Since I am doing some international travel in November and December this is great news.

SteveP

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I purchased an iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray (GSM) AT&T model at full price of US$849. I had hoped that unlocked phones would be available but was told not yet. I figured that with the 30 day return policy I could exchange it when unlocked models were available.

Out of curiosity I decided to use Check IMEI - IMEI.info to see if it confirms that my phone is indeed locked. The web site surprised me by saying the phone was unlocked. I then got the bright idea to test this by using a T-Mobile SIM which I did not have. I ended up at SIM Card details from T-Mobile and found that T-Mobile would send me a Pay As You Go SIM for 0.99?, $1.05 with tax. I put it in my phone a little while ago and it happily displayed the T-Mobile logo up in the corner.

Since I am doing some international travel in November and December this is great news.

SteveP

Cool good to know that the AT&T model is also unlocked.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
AT&T model usually is always unlocked long as you don't activate it on AT&T. Once you activate it, it's locked to them. I've been using T-Mobile with the iPhone since the 2G. I've owned every model, and it's been the same. Glad to know they haven't changed.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've read as long as you purchase the AT&T model at full price from an Apple store, then it's unlocked.

That's what Apple Store reps told me too back in June when I was thinking about getting an iPhone 5.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
bought my at&t full price at best buy and it's unlocked as well

good to know though

had to check that website, wasn't sure what it would pull up as

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've read as long as you purchase the AT&T model at full price from an Apple store, then it's unlocked.
This is pretty much the case.

I paid full retail yesterday for one that was for AT&T but knew damn well it wouldn't be locked. Connected to iTunes with my AT&T sim, and boom, it was unlocked.