So what's the consensus on the chipping/scratches issue?

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Really the only thing I'm interested in knowing about the 5S is how it fares well physically over time. My current black iPhone 5, just 6 months old has plenty of scratches despite the utmost care. The iPhone 5 scratches issue was discovered I think just a few days after release. So how's the issue with the 5S, especially the space grey colour?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Really the only thing I'm interested in knowing about the 5S is how it fares well physically over time. My current black iPhone 5, just 6 months old has plenty of scratches despite the utmost care. The iPhone 5 scratches issue was discovered I think just a few days after release. So how's the issue with the 5S, especially the space grey colour?

Any device that is NOT carried in a protective covering of some sort will eventually show signs of wear & tear, and the iPhone 5S will be no different. Accidents happen. Drops happen. Spills happen. Know what I mean?

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
That's not true at all. My iPhone 4S, which I had for over a year was 100% scratch free and I never, ever placed it in any cover. The issue with the black iPhone 5 was pretty well documented I think. It wasn't 'normal' behaviour.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's not true at all. My iPhone 4S, which I had for over a year was 100% scratch free and I never, ever placed it in any cover. The issue with the black iPhone 5 was pretty well documented I think. It wasn't 'normal' behaviour.

Okay, let me rephrase: There is a darn good chance that a person's iPhone 5S will eventually get scraped, scratched and dinged if it is not handled carefully and / or not protected with a case or sleeve of some sort, especially with people who are accident prone. How's that?

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I have to disagree, carried my 4s in my front pocket always with no cover. It got scratches, with me being OCD.
Carried ip5 in a case, it's 100% perfect condition.
iP5s went in a case right out of the box.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak specifically about the 5s because I can't seem to get my hands on one quite yet.....but.......the black iPhone 5 had a known issue with easily scratching so I don't think this is such an unreasonable question.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The space grey doesn't seem to have the scratching and chipping issues the slate black iPhone 5 had. At this point about 10 days after launch there were lots of reports of scratching (even on new phones right out of the box) on the iPhone 5. This time around with the 5S there haven't been any reports like that.

I think this is a big reason why Apple went to the lighter gray instead of the anodization that made the aluminum that slate color. The darker shade showed more scratches.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My buddy has a black slate 5 that looks pretty bad. Always kept in a case. Seems like the black finish wore off faster than anticipated. Now as far as the 5s Space Grey I have no idea if the Grey metal is colored or natural where as if it's scratched it shows a lighter color underneath.

When the 5 came out I was hyped about because black is my go to color. I didn't get a 5 because I got the 4s 3 months before the 5 came out. All the stories about chipping turned me off from black slate. It's obvious that's why Apple discontinued the color. Only time will tell how these new colors hold up.

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
The issue with the iPhone 5 wasn't normal wear and tear. The issue was that it was extremely prone to scratches, scuffs and dents even when in a case or in the box it was shipped in. So far the 5S hasn't exhibited this issue due to the new color choices which allow for a harder anodizing. Also some colors cause the material it's added to to become softer which was probably the case with the iPhone 5.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Same here, if you took care of your device and never placed it in your pocket beside your keys no way your device will be scratched, my 4S is almost 1.5 years old now and not a single scratch, it's just like new. However I will put a case on my 5S because this is my new baby and I need to take care of it the first few days when I am still so excited about it.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

Etios

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The black iphone 5 was prone to scuffs, scratches etc, heck some phones came scuffed out of the box itself. That is the reason Apple has made a lighter shade space grey for iphone 5S, so just wait for few weeks for new users feedback.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

Are you using a case? I've always believed in using cases. No use spending a fortune on a device if you don't protect it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Dude the slate iPhone 5 is so prone to scratching that putting it IN or OUT a case will scratch its edges.

My first slate 5 got all scratched up in a case.

Replacement version was tougher, though I then scratched it a bit by dropping it on pavement.

The 5ses seem tougher. But we'll see. The Apple cases are easier on them, too.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There is no chipping/scratching issue on the 5S.

My brother has a slate colored iPhone 5...was put in a case the day he bought it, and it is flawless today (ZERO scratches).

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
been using my white iPhone 5 for months and months with no case

looks as good as it did when i first got it out of the box

it all depends on the person and what you do with it

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have no scratches or blemishes of any kind on my iPhone 5s. I had a single small scratch on my black/slate iPhone 5. It’s a combination of taking care of the device and great luck, IMHO. Though it’s widely stated that black is one of the more difficult colors to anodize, and I suspect that the fragility of the black phone contributed in large part to the chips, scuffs and scratches. By moving away from the black, in favor of the grey-er color, I think Apple has also separated itself from the scratching and chipping issues on the new phone.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Well they did eventually manage to correct the scratching of the black color, because black is the most difficult color to anodize, but the black iPhone 5s released later in the year did not suffer from those scratches as much as the launch day ones. So the Space Grey should be no problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods