Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kristen Cousineau
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Kristen Cousineau's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Question Need someone's opinion please. :/

    Here's the situation:

    -I am with Virgin Mobile. I have a contract- started 3 months ago.
    -I have an early upgrade fee of $50.00 that should technically be $450.00
    -It is a glitch in the system and the supervisor told me to take advantage of it.
    -They do not know when it will change.

    My question:

    Should I..

    1) Keep my best buy reservation, get the $50 off promotion, and buy the iPhone 5s when it comes in, go on contract and be happy?

    2) Go and buy the phone right away at Virgin Mobile store, go on contract and be on the reserve list?

    -By choosing option 1, I run the risk of losing the discounted upgrade fee (glitch)

    -If I go with option 2, I don't have to worry and I am secure. But no $50 discount.

    Need to know what the best plan of action would be. What would you do? Thanks to whomever responds.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Need someone's opinion please. :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Cousineau View Post
    Here's the situation:

    -I am with Virgin Mobile. I have a contract- started 3 months ago.
    -I have an early upgrade fee of $50.00 that should technically be $450.00
    -It is a glitch in the system and the supervisor told me to take advantage of it.
    -They do not know when it will change.

    My question:

    Should I..

    1) Keep my best buy reservation, get the $50 off promotion, and buy the iPhone 5s when it comes in, go on contract and be happy?

    2) Go and buy the phone right away at Virgin Mobile store, go on contract and be on the reserve list?

    -By choosing option 1, I run the risk of losing the discounted upgrade fee (glitch)

    -If I go with option 2, I don't have to worry and I am secure. But no $50 discount.

    Need to know what the best plan of action would be. What would you do? Thanks to whomever responds.
    Seems to me like you've already decided on Option 2, therefore, go with what is in YOUR best interest.
  3. #3  
    Rocket_Girl's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need someone's opinion please. :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Cousineau View Post
    Here's the situation:

    -I am with Virgin Mobile. I have a contract- started 3 months ago.
    -I have an early upgrade fee of $50.00 that should technically be $450.00
    -It is a glitch in the system and the supervisor told me to take advantage of it.
    -They do not know when it will change.

    My question:

    Should I..

    1) Keep my best buy reservation, get the $50 off promotion, and buy the iPhone 5s when it comes in, go on contract and be happy?

    2) Go and buy the phone right away at Virgin Mobile store, go on contract and be on the reserve list?

    -By choosing option 1, I run the risk of losing the discounted upgrade fee (glitch)

    -If I go with option 2, I don't have to worry and I am secure. But no $50 discount.

    Need to know what the best plan of action would be. What would you do? Thanks to whomever responds.
    ^^Agree. Hard to put a price on peace of mind: it can be worth more than any dollar value you could attach!

    From your post, it does sound like you are leaning toward the peace of mind option. Also, by passing on the glitch, you're not losing money you had- you're passing on a theoretical windfall.

    The other thing about a glitch is: more glitches. Could get fixed while you are waiting, such that they come back and charge you once you pick up& activate your phone: activation is the point where they have you again at their mercy. Or could appear on your first monthly bill - a glitch in when they charge you rather than how much.

    the glitch - and the windfall - are only theoretical (and while you are waiting, so is your phone!) Meaning that you could wait for indefinite length of time, then still wind up paying the full $450 fee. Talk about a lose-lose!

    I may have just convinced myself of what I would do if I were in your shoes!
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Kristen Cousineau's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need someone's opinion please. :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Girl View Post
    ^^Agree. Hard to put a price on peace of mind: it can be worth more than any dollar value you could attach!

    From your post, it does sound like you are leaning toward the peace of mind option. Also, by passing on the glitch, you're not losing money you had- you're passing on a theoretical windfall.

    The other thing about a glitch is: more glitches. Could get fixed while you are waiting, such that they come back and charge you once you pick up& activate your phone: activation is the point where they have you again at their mercy. Or could appear on your first monthly bill - a glitch in when they charge you rather than how much.

    the glitch - and the windfall - are only theoretical (and while you are waiting, so is your phone!) Meaning that you could wait for indefinite length of time, then still wind up paying the full $450 fee. Talk about a lose-lose!

    I may have just convinced myself of what I would do if I were in your shoes!
    Lol thanks. Option 2 it is. And yes it's possible they might find the error. But in that case I will just have to go and beat then up. Lol jk I would protest it of course. It's not my fault that they had an error right. Thanks for le input.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Rocket_Girl likes this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    Kristen Cousineau's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need someone's opinion please. :/

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Seems to me like you've already decided on Option 2, therefore, go with what is in YOUR best interest.
    Thanks and yes. Option 2 it is


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  6. #6  
    jsntrenkler's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,652 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,977 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need someone's opinion please. :/

    I have had that happen before over the years with AT&T, I once went to get a partial upgrade which should have been $449 out of pocket and it rang in at $199, I told the rep that wasn't right and he said "whatever it rings in as we sell it as" in your situation I would do the same thing. That is if you are happy with the service that you receive from Virgin Mobile.

Similar Threads

  1. Can someone explain the "usage" stats?
    By jdhooghe in forum iPhone 5
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-02-2013, 09:36 PM
  2. iOS crashes a LOT, restarts phone!!!! Please Help
    By ritwik verma in forum iOS 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 06:14 PM
  3. Please help me! :(
    By Joseph Wang in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 09:59 AM
  4. please help me
    By dilanbarawi in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 10:44 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 09:17 PM

Posting Permissions