Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 81
Like Tree53Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default My Verizon iPhone 5S works on AT&T:

    I picked up my new Verizon Silver 64GB iPhone 5S yesterday afternoon to use with my AT&T service. I have been reading many conflicting posts on other forums as to whether or not it was really unlocked, including a blog where a guy tried to activate with a AT&T sim and could not get it to work. However Apples website lists it's compatibility with the LTE network frequencies here and since I was paying full retail anyway, I decided it was better to get the Verizon 5S which should work on AT&T and T-Mobile as well.... When I got it home, I moved the AT&T sim from my iPhone 5 to my Verizon iPhone 5S and it only showed a few dots with the LTE logo. However, after going through the activation process it then displayed the AT&T symbol as well as LTE. It has been working great on AT&T's LTE and 4G network as seen in my speed test screenshots below. I'm sure it will work with my secondary T-Mobile prepaid service as well when I can get a Nano T-Mobile SIM card..... For all those paying full retail for the 5S I would recommend looking at the Verizon model first, since it is already unlocked right out of the box.

    Here are some pictures of my Verizon 5S on AT&T's network along with a LTE and a 4G speed test:



















    This is a screenshot showing that both Voice and Data work together on AT&T with Verizon's iPhone 5S





    Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 09-29-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Chris Parsons (10-11-2013), DaPhoneking (09-30-2013), EmceeGeek (09-29-2013), JustMe'D (09-28-2013), LCW (10-06-2013), Mr.Willie (09-29-2013), nikkisharif (09-29-2013), rayz336 (12-07-2013), Rocket_Girl (09-28-2013), swarlos (09-28-2013)
    Heisenberg, LCW, kch50428 and 9 others like this.
  2. #2  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    22,741 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,976 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Nice!....Thank you for the confirmation and proof. It is appreciated, my friend...
    Thanked by:
    Eileen89 (09-28-2013)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Nice!....Thank you for the confirmation and proof. It is appreciated, my friend...
    You are welcome. I was hoping that by posting my experience it will help others out who still aren't sure if or how well the Verizon 5S would work on another carriers network. I like the fact that Verizon keeps their iPhone 5S unlocked out of the box. This way if I ever decide to switch to them in the future I won't have to purchase another 5S.
    Thanked by:
    offdahglass (09-30-2013), Rocket_Girl (09-29-2013)
    ame, nikkisharif, JustMe'D and 1 others like this.
  4. #4  
    M.Rizk's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,151 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    You are welcome. I was hoping that by posting my experience it will help others out who still aren't sure if or how well the Verizon 5S would work on another carriers network. I like the fact that Verizon keeps their iPhone 5S unlocked out of the box. This way if I ever decide to switch to them in the future I won't have to purchase another 5S.
    Believe me, their eyes are filled with tears of blood after unlocking their devices. They just need to do it for the sake of their agreement with FCC for the additional LTE frequency.
    Thanked by:
    Seabassthegreat (10-01-2013)
  5. #5  
    neurodave's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    204 Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    This!

    It must burn to allow that, Lol.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Believe me, their eyes are filled with tears of blood after unlocking their devices. They just need to do it for the sake of their agreement with FCC for the additional LTE frequency.
    Absolutely, I definitely thought the same thing when I was looking into why Verizon would unlock theirs and other carriers don't out of the box unless the customer paid full retail.
  7. #7  
    B1ue_B1aze's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    107 Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Hmm, maybe I should have picked up this model. I got the T-Mobile model to use with AT&T, and it works perfectly. Having the ability to use with Verizon may have been nice although I don't plan on switching to them since they limit their prepaid plans to 3G.
  8. #8  
    Dog5000's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    604 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,209 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Definitely good share. While Verizon works so well for us overall, it's nice to know there are options if things change.
    Eileen89 and nikkisharif like this.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    Definitely good share. While Verizon works so well for us overall, it's nice to know there are options if things change.
    I've thought about trying Verizon out again to see if their LTE coverage has improved at my house, but right now my service with AT&T is awesome and I don't want to give up my grandfathered $25 data plan. I think it's good to have the Verizon 5S just in case things change in the future like you said.
  10. #10  
    swarlos's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,913 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.2

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I've thought about trying Verizon out again to see if their LTE coverage has improved at my house, but right now my service with AT&T is awesome and I don't want to give up my grandfathered $25 data plan. I think it's good to have the Verizon 5S just in case things change in the future like you said.
    That's the model I got! Except I got the 32GB silver 😃.

    I was a happy camper to find out when I popped in my dad's AT&T sim in I got LTE! Thinking of going to Aio Wireless since I would like to be back on GSM and since I'm not getting a break on my Verizon bill by paying full retail and being month to month now.


    Carried by a raven from The Wall.
    Eileen89 and nikkisharif like this.
  11. #11  
    jsntrenkler's Avatar

    Posts
    2,323 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,641 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    I purchased the AT&T model for full retail, and went online to AT&T support chat and had them unlock it. Works well with my Tmobile sim. I get same level of coverage in my area for literally half the cost. Happy camper over here, looking forward to seeing more 5s verizon models show up over the year. Gonna have to pick one up just in case.
    jsntrenkler
    Mobile Gear: Retina Macbook Pro 13 / iPad Air / iPhone 5S / Pebble Smartwatch
    Community Rules & Guidelines
    Rocket_Girl and laerdh like this.
  12. #12  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    4,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,584 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Glad to see this. I remember the unlocked iPhone 5 on Verizon only getting HSPA+ for AT&T. So nice to see it getting LTE now. Does the Verizon model simply just support more bands on the 5S?
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Mini with Retina
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Glad to see this. I remember the unlocked iPhone 5 on Verizon only getting HSPA+ for AT&T. So nice to see it getting LTE now. Does the Verizon model simply just support more bands on the 5S?
    Yes it does. The AT&T and T-Mobile unlocked 5S also support more LTE bands. However, neither one will work on Verizon's CDMA network, which is why I think the Verizon model is a better deal for people like myself who paid full retail for their unlocked iPhone 5S's.


    Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    I edited my first post to include a screenshot showing that both Voice and Data do work together with AT&T using Verizon's iPhone 5S... This was another question I saw being asked a lot so I thought I would test it out and post the results in case anyone wanted to know if this worked or not.


    Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    Thanked by:
    Rocket_Girl (09-29-2013)
    nikkisharif and charlyee like this.
  15. #15  
    rdubmu's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,066 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Does it support tmobiles hspa+ network and LTE network?

    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    Does it support tmobiles hspa+ network and LTE network?
    Yes, it does support both of these frequencies.
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu (09-30-2013)
    rdubmu likes this.
  17. #17  
    M.Rizk's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,151 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S works on AT&T:

    Just to make it clear. The Verizon 5S is the AT&T model also T-Mobile. They are all only one model. The only difference is that a non Verizon 5S won't work over Verizon because Verizon doesn't feel like inviting you to their luxurious party where expensive data plans will be served.


    Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (09-29-2013), rdubmu (09-30-2013)
    LCW, Rocket_Girl, rdubmu and 1 others like this.
  18. #18  
    swarlos's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,913 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.2

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I edited my first post to include a screenshot showing that both Voice and Data do work together with AT&T using Verizon's iPhone 5S... This was another question I saw being asked a lot so I thought I would test it out and post the results in case anyone wanted to know if this worked or not.


    Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    Irish in that screenshot you're connected to wifi you can do voice and data on Verizon if you're connected to wifi LOL.


    Carried by a raven from the Wall.
    Thanked by:
    Eileen89 (09-29-2013)
    Peligro911 and M.Rizk like this.
  19. #19  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    4,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,584 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by swarlos View Post
    Irish in that screenshot you're connected to wifi you can do voice and data on Verizon if you're connected to wifi LOL.


    Carried by a raven from the Wall.
    Yeah. I was going to point that out as well. Try it with wifi off, please, Irish. I'm curious as well.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Mini with Retina
    Thanked by:
    Eileen89 (09-29-2013)
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S works on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Just to make it clear. The Verizon 5S is the AT&T model also T-Mobile. They are all only one model. The only difference is that a non Verizon 5S won't work over Verizon because Verizon doesn't feel like inviting you to their luxurious party where expensive data plans will be served.
    On Verizon's GSM side, yes. I don't think the AT&T or T-Mobile 5S supports CDMA in order to work with that side of Verizon's network.
  21. #21  
    EmceeGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    2,258 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,329 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    I was wondering how your battery consumption is? I have the T-Mobile (unlocked) model, and they are my carrier but the battery life is as bad as the iPhone 5 battery was on T-Mobile. The unlocked AT&T version of the iPhone 5 battery usage was the same as it has been for years with me but as soon as Apple made the TMo specific version I thought it was the dual-bands burning through the battery. Now I'm wondering if its just TMo's frequency? My unlocked i5 was running TMo's 4G or HSPA+ but no LTE capability. I still don't use LTE because 4G murders my battery. Everyone can get a full day BUT us, it seems. Do any of you think the Verizon model would be better or do you think it works the same as what they advertise as the TMo unlocked i5S?
    64GB iPhone 6+ 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by swarlos View Post
    Irish in that screenshot you're connected to wifi you can do voice and data on Verizon if you're connected to wifi LOL.


    Carried by a raven from the Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah. I was going to point that out as well. Try it with wifi off, please, Irish. I'm curious as well.
    Good catch guys, thanks! I updated my screenshot above. Tried it again, this time double checking that WiFi was actually off. Voice & Data definitely work on AT&T's 4G network. Since it works with AT&T using Verizon's own iPhone, I don't see why it don't work for Verizon's customers. It's the same iPhone....


    Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (09-29-2013), nikkisharif (09-29-2013), Rocket_Girl (09-29-2013), swarlos (09-29-2013)
    MRSBROWN2006 likes this.
  23. #23  
    M.Rizk's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,151 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by EmceeGeek View Post
    I was wondering how your battery consumption is? I have the T-Mobile (unlocked) model, and they are my carrier but the battery life is as bad as the iPhone 5 battery was on T-Mobile. The unlocked AT&T version of the iPhone 5 battery usage was the same as it has been for years with me but as soon as Apple made the TMo specific version I thought it was the dual-bands burning through the battery. Now I'm wondering if its just TMo's frequency? My unlocked i5 was running TMo's 4G or HSPA+ but no LTE capability. I still don't use LTE because 4G murders my battery. Everyone can get a full day BUT us, it seems. Do any of you think the Verizon model would be better or do you think it works the same as what they advertise as the TMo unlocked i5S?
    I don't think the iPhone 5S supports 1700 MHZ (T-Mobile 3G AWS). It still only supports 1900 MHZ for 3G, so this device is not special for T-Mobile, it is the same as the AT&T model and Verizon. People it's all one phone no difference! Even the T-Mobile also the AT&T one both support Verizon CDMA it is just Verizon that won't allow you in as they want you to purchase the device of their stores.


    Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    EmceeGeek (09-29-2013)
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,013 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by EmceeGeek View Post
    I was wondering how your battery consumption is? I have the T-Mobile (unlocked) model, and they are my carrier but the battery life is as bad as the iPhone 5 battery was on T-Mobile. The unlocked AT&T version of the iPhone 5 battery usage was the same as it has been for years with me but as soon as Apple made the TMo specific version I thought it was the dual-bands burning through the battery. Now I'm wondering if its just TMo's frequency? My unlocked i5 was running TMo's 4G or HSPA+ but no LTE capability. I still don't use LTE because 4G murders my battery. Everyone can get a full day BUT us, it seems. Do any of you think the Verizon model would be better or do you think it works the same as what they advertise as the TMo unlocked i5S?
    My battery life so far is awesome. I'll post a screenshot here. The battery life on the 5S is definitely better than my backup AT&T unlocked iPhone 5. I'm getting about 2 to 3 hours more usage.... I wouldn't say the Verizon model is any better than the unlocked T-Mobile 5S. It's just that they won't run on Verizon's CDMA side which is a problem if someone ever wanted to switch to Verizon from AT&T or T-Mobile.


    Battery life so far looks like this:






    Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    Thanked by:
    EmceeGeek (09-29-2013)
    nikkisharif likes this.
  25. #25  
    EmceeGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    2,258 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,329 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default Re: My Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T:

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    I don't think the iPhone 5S supports 1700 MHZ (T-Mobile 3G AWS). It still only supports 1900 MHZ for 3G, so this device is not special for T-Mobile, it is the same as the AT&T model and Verizon. People it's all one phone no difference! Even the T-Mobile also the AT&T one both support Verizon CDMA it is just Verizon that won't allow you in as they want you to purchase the device of their stores.
    Okay, just had to see if they really were all the same. I see now that AT&T just runs better than TMo on the iPhone. Our battery time doesn't come close to 8 hours on a full charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    My battery life so far is awesome. I'll post a screenshot here. The battery life on the 5S is definitely better than my backup AT&T unlocked iPhone 5. I'm getting about 2 to 3 hours more usage.... I wouldn't say the Verizon model is any better than the unlocked T-Mobile 5S. It's just that they won't run on Verizon's CDMA side which is a problem if someone ever wanted to switch to Verizon from AT&T or T-Mobile.
    Looks like this will just be a problem for TMo users. It would be nice to be able to get at least 8 hours on a full charge again. I just knew the 5S would change things, thats why I was so excited about it coming out. Oh well, thanks guys!

    Thanks for letting us know the Verizon model does work for us GSM users, might come in handy down the road.
    64GB iPhone 6+ 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    Eileen89 likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Garmin & Navigon Apps on sale thru 13-October
    By kch50428 in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 02:37 PM
  2. Contact Pictures on iPhone 5s
    By gazoo2010 in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 08:16 AM
  3. Can I delete playlists from iTunes on my iPhone 5?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 12:05 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 04:08 PM
  5. New iPhone 5 and syncing to iTunes
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions