Loud home button

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
So I got my gold 5S this week and noticed that when I press the home button there is a loud audible click. I never noticed this on any of my previous iphones, ipod touches, or ipads. Would you all say this is common with the new button or a problem in manufacturing?

Donnee

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say mine's particularly loud, it's more of a clunk than a hollow click, but it'll probably quieten down with use. We have a 4s in the house that's just coming up on 2 years old, the button feels like mush and barely makes a sound so I guess if you're comparing to something like that it will sound really loud.

tater0388

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
On release day I got a 16gb space gray and the home button sounded and clicked like any other iPhone I've had. I took the 16 back and got a 32gb and noticed the firm loud click of the home button. Thought I was just being crazy.

1beat1melody

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
This is a relief to hear. Back when the 4S came out, my girlfriend's white iPhone had a click to the home button, but my black one was more of a soft mush. I've always envied the click, I'm excited to get my 5S and click away!

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
My iP5S home button definitely feels and sounds different than previous iPhone home buttons. I assume it has to do with adding the Touch ID hardware and is normal... and I kind of like how it feels anyway...

itsmemuffins

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Mine does this too as did my previous 5. I don't like it, I much prefer no sound like on my iPad 3. I have discovered a work around. When I need to use the hone button without the need for the scanner, I use the tip of my finger. That way the button makes no noise.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I like the way the new home button feels. As long as it's not falling out or anything, I don't mind a little clicking sound.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
my 5s is identical to my 5 is identical to my iPad mini. Never noticed. It's a button, it clicks... As buttons do.

Read somewhere the other day (probably in another thread here) something along the lines of this: these devices do SO much, SO well that we get to notice the niggling little things- because the really amazing thing is that all the rest of it works at all, let alone that it works so well. So well we hardly notice the massive scale of what goes right when one of the little things goes wrong.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
One thing that I do like is that it is always centered when I push it, there were a couple of iPhones that I have had over the years that the home button kind of felt like it wanted fall to the side a little when I pushed it. With the home button being slightly recessed I think it would have been awesome to make it function like a capacity button. Tap and go ;-)

DmitriSLCA

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I've got this problem on my iPhone 5s Space Gray. The home button seems to be making a loud clicking noise on the way up. Compared it with two other 5s phones: one other Space Gray - the clicking noise is not as loud and more uniform on the way down and up - and another Silver - also has a fairly loud clicking noise, but on the way down, not up. Accordingly, it appears that all 5s phones are different, not uniform. The loud clicking noise on the way up is annoying the living hell out of me. It's a Sprint phone; I also visited a Sprint store, and the staff memeber there was not able to tell the difference between my 5s Space Gray and another 5s he had on display. As a result, I have a tendency to think this is more likely a flaw/oversight in the phone design, not a "normal" feature of 5s like some have commented earlier on this forum.

Has anyone had a positive experience bringing their 5s to an Apple store and exchanging it to get rid of the issue for good? Or do they all click? I'm starting to really consider a visit to the Apple store.

Pete Lao

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I like the way the new home button feels. As long as it's not falling out or anything, I don't mind a little clicking sound.

Not sure if everyone is experiencing the same clicking sound. Of course there is a click to the home button that wasn't apparent on my iphone 4. However I once randomly got a really chunky, plastic'y feeling click which is what I believe the OP is speaking of.

There was also more resistance to the press.

I found some cases on YouTube that demonstrate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73