iPhone 5s Battery Life?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was able to gauge my battery life today while I was working in Baltimore. 3PM Battery 100% Did some texting instagraming all on LTE. Brightness was full. On stand by for a few hours.

Sat my phone on a music stand to read a PDF set list for the gig set to never lock for 1 hour and 45min full brightness. wifi was on but not connected at 11:30- 11:45 pm Battery was at 50%.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I was able to gauge my battery life today while I was working in Baltimore. 3PM Battery 100% Did some texting instagraming all on LTE. Brightness was full. On stand by for a few hours.

Sat my phone on a music stand to read a PDF set list for the gig set to never lock for 1 hour and 45min full brightness. wifi was on but not connected at 11:30- 11:45 pm Battery was at 50%.

That's pretty good man. Did you restore your phone from back up? I'm getting pretty horrible battery life check it out. I got this today
egyrejyh.jpg
I downloaded a 2 gig file in 3G and it did eat my battery a bit. But still I'm not getting the battery apple said I'm supposed to get.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty good man. Did you restore your phone from back up? I'm getting pretty horrible battery life check it out. I got this today http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/28/egyrejyh.jpg.
I downloaded a 2 gig file in 3G and it did eat my battery a bit. But still I'm not getting the battery apple said I'm supposed to get.

I did restore from a backup of my 4S that I traded in. I was working on the 15th floor of the Baltimore Hyatt Regency at the LTE coverage was great up there. 4 "dots" all the way

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Mmm. I guess the reception on the phone has something to do with battery performance ?

Yes of course, the stronger the coverage the less power the phone wastes looking for coverage. So if you live in an area that has 5 bars you will always expect a perfect battery life.

Things can get even worse when the iPhone keeps looking for both 3G and LTE when the coverage is lost due to a black spot. That's why I wish Apple returns the "2G only feature".

Maybe in the past I would just jailbreak my device to add a feature like 2G only if available, but now I don't feel like jailbreaking. I am afraid some bad add ons on a jailbreak can get access to the Finger ID.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes of course, the stronger the coverage the less power the phone wastes looking for coverage. So if you live in an area that has 5 bars you will always expect a perfect battery life.

Things can get even worse when the iPhone keeps looking for both 3G and LTE when the coverage is lost due to a black spot. That's why I wish Apple returns the "2G only feature".

Maybe in the past I would just jailbreak my device to add a feature like 2G only if available, but now I don't feel like jailbreaking. I am afraid some bad add ons on a jailbreak can get access to the Finger ID.

Where I stay, the reception is very bad. But at my girlfriends place the reception has improved and I have good reception but battery life is still horrible.
I get full coverage but I don't get 8 hours.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Where I stay, the reception is very bad. But at my girlfriends place the reception has improved and I have good reception but battery life is still horrible.
I get full coverage but I don't get 8 hours.

Yes, I didn't really mean you will get the full 8 hours said by Apple. Coverage is one of the many factors affecting the battery life, but it is also considered a battery killer. One other battery killer is the screen brightness.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I didn't really mean you will get the full 8 hours said by Apple. Coverage is one of the many factors affecting the battery life, but it is also considered a battery killer. One other battery killer is the screen brightness.

My iPhone is set to auto brightness. I noticed when the phone is in direct sunlight the auto brightness pushes to the maximum. That could be a big reason. I'm thinking maybe I'll turn it off.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone is set to auto brightness. I noticed when the phone is in direct sunlight the auto brightness pushes to the maximum. That could be a big reason. I'm thinking maybe I'll turn it off.

Don't, it is actually better to have it on than turning it off. Just make sure the brightness toggle is in the center or lower, not higher.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Battery life depends on what you are doing on the phone. The standard test Apple and others use is simply web browsing. Laptop tests are yet same way. So of you are doing something else more multiple things battery life would be expected to be worse than the manufacturer quoted amount.

Cellular signal strength matters too as does screen brightness.

Mmm. Okay. I get what you are saying. I'll do a test and just browse the internet and do nothing else. I always make sure things are switched off that I don't use.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Mmm ok. With all those things off its like not having the complete features of an iPhone :-/.
If that's the way of saving battery so be it. I use the weather only in the morning , I use wi Fi but turn it off when I don't use it. Stocks are off. But still not so great battery life. I don't have 4G yet cause of my carrier. Push mail for every 30 minutes.
I also close all my apps from the multitasking all the time. Brightness is set at automatic.
I also did a test to see how much battery I loose on stand by. The phone was 100% at night. I feel asleep then woke at 8am and it was 96%.
Previously it would of drained 14%. After updating to iOS 7.0.2 battery life is a little bit better from those statistics.
Well I don't need "the complete features of an iPhone" to always be turned on. They're there when I need them and then I turn them right back off. I can look out the window to see the weather, so I have no need for a weather app. I almost never use Wifi, unless I have to, I never use Bluetooth, other than when I was on vacation and wanted to sync my fitbit. I have my brightness down at like 20-25% and then autobrightness on. But for me, turning airplane mode on at night is a HUGE battery saver. Anyone that really needs us overnight can get hold of us on another phone number, so my phone is turned to Airplane Mode on purpose. And it makes a world of difference. I have Gmail on Fetch 15 minutes, Google Apps is set for push, Outlook is Push and iCloud Mail is push but I don't use that much.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
there are many people who are having this issue in iPhone 5s,may be OS7 update has to do something with this

That's exactly what happens every year and it turns out it's the battery itself. But since I am getting the iPhone 5S, I will be positive this year and say it's an OS issue :D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think this is awesome for the first charge with my new 5S. The 10 1/2 hours was half on LTE and half on WiFi, emails, texting, Safari & Tapatalk, and listening to music.

azy7e2ys.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
On a fairly typical day I will get 5-6 hours on iOS 7 on a 4S for now. I mention the 4S so that when i receive my new 5S in a few weeks I will compare and repost.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW