Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

Default 5S only has 1 GB RAM DDR3?

based on info from gsmarena, it says only 1 GB RAM DDR3? that's the same RAM as the 5 (although 5 uses DDR2)

Apple iPhone 5s - Full phone specifications

I would have thought at least 2 GB RAM, while other phones are at least 2 GB RAM.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: 5S only has 1 GB RAM DDR3?

Quote Originally Posted by gameson View Post
    based on info from gsmarena, it says only 1 GB RAM DDR3? that's the same RAM as the 5 (although 5 uses DDR2)

I would have thought at least 2 GB RAM, while other phones are at least 2 GB RAM.
    Exactly what kind of grief is this "limitation" causing you? What is it that you are trying to do that you can’t because of this lack of memory?
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (09-26-2013)
    M.Rizk and Chetan Takyar like this.

Global Posts
    11,896 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Exactly what kind of grief is this "limitation" causing you?
    When comparing spec sheets with denizens of other platforms it causes feelings of inadequacy... ??

Specs don't matter as much when hardware and software are engineered for one another....
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (09-26-2013), nokia4life (09-26-2013), soodmanhar (09-26-2013)

Global Posts
    6,371 Global Posts
    iOS Version

IOS7 was designed to run on the i4 with 512mb of ram so I don't see why they would need more than a gig.

I've seen phones with 2GB of Ram run slower than my i5. It's all about Management of resources

Sent from my iPhone 5
    iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    kch50428, iEd and jmr1015 like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

Until we actually see a need for 2 GB of RAM, I wouldn't worry to much about it.
    Other operating systems can play the spec war all they want.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Specs don't matter as much when hardware and software are engineered for one another....
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    It's all about Management of resources
    ^^^These

Same reason the iPhones can get away with using dinky 1400 and 1500mAh batteries and still last longer than "other" handsets with 50 to 100% larger batteries. Software optimization goes a long way in using what hardware the device has, more efficiently.

Look at it this way: The iPhone 5S only has a 1.3gHZ dual core processor and only 1gb of RAM... yet, when you put it up against devices that come loaded for bear, like the 2.2gHZ quad core 2gb RAM LG G2, or the 1.9gHZ quad core 2gb RAM Galaxy S4, the iPhone 5S bests them both in benchmarks across the board.

*Disclaimer: I am not saying that benchmarks matter. I believe end user experience is far more important... and in that regard, I don't believe Apple has ever trailed a competitor, no matter what the benchmarks say.
    Last edited by jmr1015; 09-26-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    Thanked by:
    trandz (09-26-2013)
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gameson View Post

Well it is also on dual core when all those "other" phones are running quad cores, yet it benchmarks as better than pretty much all of those devices with quad core and 2gb of ram. IOS doesn't need all that extra ram and cores.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

All that extra ram on android phones is to run the extra malware.....lol
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,676 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jmr1015 View Post
    ^^^These

Same reason the iPhones can get away with using dinky 1400 and 1500mAh batteries and still last longer than "other" handsets with 50 to 100% larger batteries. Software optimization goes a long way in using what hardware the device has, more efficiently.

Look at it this way: The iPhone 5S only has a 1.3gHZ dual core processor and only 1gb of RAM... yet, when you put it up against devices that come loaded for bear, like the 2.2gHZ quad core 2gb RAM LG G2, or the 1.9gHZ quad core 2gb RAM Galaxy S4, the iPhone 5S bests them both in benchmarks across the board.

*Disclaimer: I am not saying that benchmarks matter. I believe end user experience is far more important... and in that regard, I don't believe Apple has ever trailed a competitor, no matter what the benchmarks say.
    The A7 scores so high because it actually is really that powerful. Benchmarks don't show software optimisations as much, I think.

Think about the fact that the iPhone version of the A7 is comparable to *Intel's* baytrail. Imagine how powerful the A7X will be. Not in optimisation but in raw performance.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,676 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by tomklyn View Post
    All that extra ram on android phones is to run the extra malware.....lol
    Ummm, no.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,676 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Well it is also on dual core when all those "other" phones are running quad cores, yet it benchmarks as better than pretty much all of those devices with quad core and 2gb of ram. IOS doesn't need all that extra ram and cores.
    I would argue iOS 7 DOES need it.

Global Posts
    7,070 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    I would argue iOS 7 DOES need it.
    Well then state your case
    mac2013 likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Ummm, no.
    Couldn't help myself had many bad times with android phones
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

It needs it so I can have every app I own open at once ... Just because I want to... Lol
    LazyStarGazer likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,676 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Well then state your case
    Unlimited safari tabs. Infinity blade 3. If I have those two apps running together and open a third app, safari and IB3 are of course removed from memory. I don't wanna constantly have safari reload and I certainly don't wanna wait for IB3 to reload(it takes a a decent amount of time, and I have the 5) plus the fact that more RAM will just help to keep more apps running for longer, and that's important to me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using iMore Forums mobile app
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,676 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by tomklyn View Post
    Couldn't help myself had many bad times with android phones
    Fair enough, doesn't mean most Android phones have the issue. Samsung phones are definitely the exception here.

Global Posts
    7,070 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Unlimited safari tabs. Infinity blade 3. If I have those two apps running together and open a third app, safari and IB3 are of course removed from memory. I don't wanna constantly have safari reload and I certainly don't wanna wait for IB3 to reload(it takes a a decent amount of time, and I have the 5) plus the fact that more RAM will just help to keep more apps running for longer, and that's important to me.

Fair enough. You're not really talking about multitasking though, but how many apps can be suspended at once (not running but still on RAM) without being forced to close. More RAM would help here, yes, but more RAM would not help any individual app run better.

Thanks for the input.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (09-27-2013), mac2013 (09-27-2013)
    mac2013 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,676 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Fair enough. You're not really talking about multitasking though, but how many apps can be suspended at once (not running but still on RAM) without being forced to close. More RAM would help here, yes, but more RAM would not help any individual app run better.

Thanks for the input.
    Oh yeah. I never said more RAM was needed for an individual app. However I would love the additional RAM for more apps in multitasking. I'm pretty sure that iOS 7 doesnt suspend apps. Its a compromise between iOS 6 and Android 4.0 and up. I think Apple was smart here.

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

iPhone 5S needs more RAM to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more screen size to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more widgets to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more innovation to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more _______ to be relevant.

...is it just me, or does it seem weird that for a device that "needs" so much to stay relevant to other phones, it sure does sell more than other phones do despite it all.

Deep Thoughts...by Jack Handy.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (09-27-2013), Donnee (09-27-2013), GibMcFragger (09-27-2013), mzengr (09-27-2013)

Global Posts
    7,070 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Oh yeah. I never said more RAM was needed for an individual app. However I would love the additional RAM for more apps in multitasking. I'm pretty sure that iOS 7 doesnt suspend apps. Its a compromise between iOS 6 and Android 4.0 and up. I think Apple was smart here.

It does suspend apps. Unless the developer has used certain APIs for background processing, any app which is not currently being used is suspended. Allowable background processes include audio, location services, VoIP, the new background download such as articles for an RSS reader, etc. Suspended apps remain in RAM until the RAM is needed for an open app. They appear to not be suspended if the developer has done it right because they resume almost immediately. But a suspended app is not actually doing any processing.
    iEd likes this.

Global Posts
    7,070 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    iPhone 5S needs more RAM to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more screen size to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more widgets to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more innovation to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more _______ to be relevant.

...is it just me, or does it seem weird that for a device that "needs" so much to stay relevant to other phones, it sure does sell more than other phones do despite it all.

Deep Thoughts...by Jack Handy.
    Yep the 9 million people who purchased a new phone over the weekend must really think it is lacking something…
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (09-27-2013)
    iEd likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Yep the 9 million people who purchased a new phone over the weekend must really think it is lacking something…
    Or, according to many Android loyalists...those millions of people just don't really understand what they want, and buy the iPhone because it's an iPhone.

As the amazing Steven Tyler sang...it's the "Same ol' song and dance..." with so many that hold a critical opinion of the device. There's no way it could be successful because it's a great smart phone, that just doesn't add up because it doesn't equate to their own personal opinion of it.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    iOS Version

From what I've read, Apple provides the essential memory needed for the user to run iOS effectively. I was assuming extra memory would be wasted.
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

like someone said earlier, more RAM means more apps are able to be opened without getting its memory removed. So when I 'suspend' that game, and go to another app, then when I go back to that game, I do not have to start from the beginning.

More RAM would definitely allow more apps to be open and without taking away the memory that one app is using. I hope the 6 would have 2 GB RAM.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    568 Global Posts

I would always want more but I think it runs fantastic despite the seeming low #. I don't want my battery to go faster and I don't want to pay more to get.

However, when Apple some day decides they can up the memory to a # they can brag about they will claim it's the best thing that ever happened to mobile.

I would not trade my iphone for one with more money on paper when it doesn't function as well overall. Perhaps the conservative management is not a problem at all but actually benefiting me greatly. When they can up the memory considering battery and price they will. In the meantime this is the best overall solution for me.

Games should be designed better to not take so long to resume.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast