5S only has 1 GB RAM DDR3?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Exactly what kind of grief is this "limitation" causing you?
When comparing spec sheets with denizens of other platforms it causes feelings of inadequacy... ?? :D

Specs don't matter as much when hardware and software are engineered for one another....

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
IOS7 was designed to run on the i4 with 512mb of ram so I don't see why they would need more than a gig.

I've seen phones with 2GB of Ram run slower than my i5. It's all about Management of resources

Sent from my iPhone 5

Bias reduX

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Until we actually see a need for 2 GB of RAM, I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Other operating systems can play the spec war all they want.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Specs don't matter as much when hardware and software are engineered for one another....

It's all about Management of resources

^^^These

Same reason the iPhones can get away with using dinky 1400 and 1500mAh batteries and still last longer than "other" handsets with 50 to 100% larger batteries. Software optimization goes a long way in using what hardware the device has, more efficiently.

Look at it this way: The iPhone 5S only has a 1.3gHZ dual core processor and only 1gb of RAM... yet, when you put it up against devices that come loaded for bear, like the 2.2gHZ quad core 2gb RAM LG G2, or the 1.9gHZ quad core 2gb RAM Galaxy S4, the iPhone 5S bests them both in benchmarks across the board.

*Disclaimer: I am not saying that benchmarks matter. I believe end user experience is far more important... and in that regard, I don't believe Apple has ever trailed a competitor, no matter what the benchmarks say.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
based on info from gsmarena, it says only 1 GB RAM DDR3? that's the same RAM as the 5 (although 5 uses DDR2)

Apple iPhone 5s - Full phone specifications

I would have thought at least 2 GB RAM, while other phones are at least 2 GB RAM.

Well it is also on dual core when all those "other" phones are running quad cores, yet it benchmarks as better than pretty much all of those devices with quad core and 2gb of ram. IOS doesn't need all that extra ram and cores.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
^^^These

Same reason the iPhones can get away with using dinky 1400 and 1500mAh batteries and still last longer than "other" handsets with 50 to 100% larger batteries. Software optimization goes a long way in using what hardware the device has, more efficiently.

Look at it this way: The iPhone 5S only has a 1.3gHZ dual core processor and only 1gb of RAM... yet, when you put it up against devices that come loaded for bear, like the 2.2gHZ quad core 2gb RAM LG G2, or the 1.9gHZ quad core 2gb RAM Galaxy S4, the iPhone 5S bests them both in benchmarks across the board.

*Disclaimer: I am not saying that benchmarks matter. I believe end user experience is far more important... and in that regard, I don't believe Apple has ever trailed a competitor, no matter what the benchmarks say.

The A7 scores so high because it actually is really that powerful. Benchmarks don't show software optimisations as much, I think.

Think about the fact that the iPhone version of the A7 is comparable to *Intel's* baytrail. Imagine how powerful the A7X will be. Not in optimisation but in raw performance.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Well then state your case

Unlimited safari tabs. Infinity blade 3. If I have those two apps running together and open a third app, safari and IB3 are of course removed from memory. I don't wanna constantly have safari reload and I certainly don't wanna wait for IB3 to reload(it takes a a decent amount of time, and I have the 5) plus the fact that more RAM will just help to keep more apps running for longer, and that's important to me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using iMore Forums mobile app

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough. You're not really talking about multitasking though, but how many apps can be suspended at once (not running but still on RAM) without being forced to close. More RAM would help here, yes, but more RAM would not help any individual app run better.

Thanks for the input.

Oh yeah. I never said more RAM was needed for an individual app. However I would love the additional RAM for more apps in multitasking. I'm pretty sure that iOS 7 doesnt suspend apps. Its a compromise between iOS 6 and Android 4.0 and up. I think Apple was smart here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 5S needs more RAM to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more screen size to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more widgets to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more innovation to be relevant.

iPhone 5S needs more _______ to be relevant.

...is it just me, or does it seem weird that for a device that "needs" so much to stay relevant to other phones, it sure does sell more than other phones do despite it all.

Deep Thoughts...by Jack Handy.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep the 9 million people who purchased a new phone over the weekend must really think it is lacking something…

Or, according to many Android loyalists...those millions of people just don't really understand what they want, and buy the iPhone because it's an iPhone.

As the amazing Steven Tyler sang...it's the "Same ol' song and dance..." with so many that hold a critical opinion of the device. There's no way it could be successful because it's a great smart phone, that just doesn't add up because it doesn't equate to their own personal opinion of it.

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read, Apple provides the essential memory needed for the user to run iOS effectively. I was assuming extra memory would be wasted.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
like someone said earlier, more RAM means more apps are able to be opened without getting its memory removed. So when I 'suspend' that game, and go to another app, then when I go back to that game, I do not have to start from the beginning.

More RAM would definitely allow more apps to be open and without taking away the memory that one app is using. I hope the 6 would have 2 GB RAM.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox