Icloud restore time

Burnhamm

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I restored my iphone 5s from an icloud back up on Sunday to get all my stuff off of my 4s. My question is how long should it take? Also, when does it restore, only when plugged in and on wifi?. It appears as though I have all my photos and apps. Should I just cancel the restore? Thanks for the help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I restored my iphone 5s from an icloud back up on Sunday to get all my stuff off of my 4s.
Okay
My question is how long should it take?
That depends on how much data you have. There is no definitive restore time.
Also, when does it restore, only when plugged in and on wifi?.
If your device has enough battery charge, you can restore your device, but it is recommended that you are pugged in to an external power source. Furthermore, you do not have to be connected to Wi-Fi to "restore" your device (iCloud), however, depending on how much data is being restored, it may be economically to your advantage to use a Wi-Fi connection. I mean, I have no idea how what kind of data plan you have with your wireless carrier or its penalties if you exceed the allotted data amount.
It appears as though I have all my photos and apps. Should I just cancel the restore? Thanks for the help.
I recommend that you just be patient and let the restore finish.

Burnhamm

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. If I go into icloud under settings it says I have 2.0 GB. I only have a 2 GB data plan but I haven't received any emails saying I have reached 50% of my data or anything like that. Also, I haven't noticed my phone being drained more then usual after a day at work. I just didn't know if roughly 3 days was extremely long for a restore or if there was some kind of problem going on. When I'm at home I'm on wifi if that helps at all.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
3 days? Heck, no. You should be fully restored within an hour, and I'm being generous. Let me back up and review:

1. You got an iPhone 5S, plugged it in to iTunes and restored from a backup that was made on your iPhone 4S or you opted to restore from iCloud.

If via iCloud, it can be a while depending on the amount of data it is restoring, but not 3 days. iTunes is quicker, and I can up and running in a matter of minutes. Having said that, I usually restore as new to prevent incidents like this. Have you gone through every screen and setting to see if the phone works as it should? If so, and if it seems okay to you, turn off the phone, wait 30 seconds and then turn it back on. Your backup may indeed be complete, but just need a reboot to clear itself.

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
After three failed attempts since launch day, I went to the apple store to let them do it. The issue is that the wifi I was accessing was not strong enough to do the downloading properly. Just go to apple and use their connection to get it done. Only took me an hour after arrival. I had no option to use cellular data. And os update also requires wifi.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

hawkeyeredsox

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue...my phone has been restoring from backup since 5 PM and it's 9 now. It looks like all that is my camera roll and one app, called "How to Cook Everything" which I never use and have tried to delete but it won't go away. Should I stop the restore or just continue to be patient? Thanks in advance!

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue...my phone has been restoring from backup since 5 PM and it's 9 now. It looks like all that is my camera roll and one app, called "How to Cook Everything" which I never use and have tried to delete but it won't go away. Should I stop the restore or just continue to be patient? Thanks in advance!

I just left mine alone and went to the Apple Store. Could be an iOS7 issue too, I guess. I have done backup/restores from 4s to 5, and no problems. Better safe than sorry. Shoutout to the apple flagship store in NyC! You guys rock, and I still made it to work in LI on time!

hawkeyeredsox

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I just left mine alone and went to the Apple Store. Could be an iOS7 issue too, I guess. I have done backup/restores from 4s to 5, and no problems. Better safe than sorry. Shoutout to the apple flagship store in NyC! You guys rock, and I still made it to work in LI on time!

Unfortunately the closest apple store to me is 2 hours away...gotta love living in Iowa :) I'm just going to leave it be overnight and hope for the best. :)

rlevy2

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I restored from backup on Sunday night, and it's now Tuesday night. I'm still getting the "restoring from icloud backup" message on the lock screen. But, everything seems to be running fine on the iphone, and I haven't noticed that I"m missing anything. Why is it still saying that message?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro