Rattling power button?

Jdane07

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I haven't owned an iPhone since the 4s, so not sure if this is just a common thing, but my power button feels loose to the point where it rattles.

I thought at first the problem was something with the camera as I would shake the phone and hear a very noticeable rattle toward the top of the phone. I then noticed the power button was kinda loose and when I put my finger over it and held it in place, the rattle disappears when the phone is shaken.

Is this common, or a minor fault with my build?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
This is actually a commong thing (problem). I have searched iMore myself because my power button rattles, but it functions properly. Thats why I havent taken it in to Apple and used my AppleCare+ towards it, which expires for me 11/04/2013.

I did a quick search of the threads here on iMore, just to give you an idea of people that experience this.
http://forums.imore.com/search.php?searchid=1101452

Its up to you if you want to swap out your device, or if you want to live with it. Mine literally just started rattling within the past month and I don't even know why. I havent dropped my device, but i guess it just happens OR maybe mine has always rattled but i never notice till a month ago when i ditched my case altogether.

This is one of the threads I read about the rattling where quite a few chose to just leave it be, as well as the Apple Geniuses' stating that this is 'normal'
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5/242755-who-has-rattling-power-button.html

Last edited:

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
My 5 did it and mine and my wife's 5S do it. Seemed common on the demo units in the apple store too. Some just are more loose than others. If it bothers you take it in to get looked at, but its likely if you get another it will do it too

tater0388

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That is strange. Out of all my iPhones I've never seen this. I even pulled them all out and checked. I must be lucky lol.

Danny Olivo

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had it one my 5 and now my 5s. Even told the guy at the apple store when I bought it at launch . He went and got two more phones and they both did the same thing. It's just the way their made. You would think Apple wouldn't put out such flawed products, you expect it to be solid build. That being said, doesn't bother me enough to go without an iphone. I guess that's what their banking on, and they are right.

Bias reduX

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had 3 iPhone 5's (replacements), they have all had a loose power button.
My 5S also does it.

I sent my phone in to a repair center and they said this was normal and sent it back.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had 3 iPhone 5's (replacements), they have all had a loose power button.
My 5S also does it.

I sent my phone in to a repair center and they said this was normal and sent it back.

I don't know about it being "normal", however, I don't think it's a problem either. My first Black 4S did it, and it still worked perfectly till the day that I sold it. That said, this comes up with every iPhone that comes out. If all the iPhones did this it wouldn't even get a second thought... Even though Apple gave it back, you'll still have it under warranty for a year just in case it stopped working, so don't let it stop you from enjoying your new 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Power button on my friend's gold 5S was extremely loose so he took it in and got it swapped.. They didn't give him any trouble.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro