iPhone 5S replacement a refurbished or new???

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I know. Not worried. Just want to avoid sprint at all cause cuz most likely they will tell me to go to apple store across the street or they won't have inventory. The only hassle is taking the time to get the phone swapped regardless I know I'm in good hands with apple. This is my 4th iPhone. Every time I've had any issues I always go to this same apple store with great results. I'm scheduled for this upcoming Friday at 9:10 am. Keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yeah I agree you will waste more time dealing with carriers.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I agree you will waste more time dealing with carriers.

U know how stupid you sound. So let me see. We are in November and iphone 5s Hype is over. U walk in to your Carrier and let say you buy the 64gb at 399 with upgrade fee. Two day later your phone is Defected. So you would go to the apple store to get exchange for A Refurbish iphone. (Bc the housing is new. But that it.) then to go back and get exchange it and that is Your right. So you 399 and upgrade for a Refurbish model.

I was in the Genius Bar and some guy bought a iphone to get it replace and the guy said he just got it last night. And Genius Employee had a Confuse face and said why not just exchange at the store.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Don't you get a year to get a replacement for a defective device due to Apple's one-year warranty?

Yes, but its a limited warranty. As long as its not jailbroken, water damaged or damaged by the user in which the phone has physical damage like from being dropped, they should replace it no problem.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
However, there is an argument that since the 5S is new, a refurbished should be new as well. But the 5S uses some parts which is the same as the 5, so Apple could still make a batch of 5S for replacement purpose using parts from used iphone 5.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
U know how stupid you sound. So let me see. We are in November and iphone 5s Hype is over. U walk in to your Carrier and let say you buy the 64gb at 399 with upgrade fee. Two day later your phone is Defected. So you would go to the apple store to get exchange for A Refurbish iphone. (Bc the housing is new. But that it.) then to go back and get exchange it and that is Your right. So you 399 and upgrade for a Refurbish model.

I was in the Genius Bar and some guy bought a iphone to get it replace and the guy said he just got it last night. And Genius Employee had a Confuse face and said why not just exchange at the store.

Wow. If the refurb fairy lived in the back of every Apple store, they wouldn't need the Geniuses!

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow. If the refurb fairy lived in the back of every Apple store, they wouldn't need the Geniuses!

U don't understand. The point is why would you take a week old item for Warranty exchange when you have every right to get exchange at the store and it will be brand new and run the chance of being Refurbish

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
U don't understand. The point is why would you take a week old item for Warranty exchange when you have every right to get exchange at the store and it will be brand new and run the chance of being Refurbish

I do understand. Been there, done it, with release of the 5. There are no refurbs yet. They can't make the new ones fast enough - they're hardly chop- shopping parts from old 5s into casings for 5s' . The replacement units at release time are new units in different boxes.

Be careful telling others they're stupid or they don't understand. As you spend more time, you'll notice that's not how we roll around here.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree. No need to be calling anyone stupid. Stop taking it personal. I'm not dumb either. What you failed to realize is that I rather go to apple store since they offer better service and what not. So if I noticed that they do replace the phone on the spot with a NEW one it's a win situation for me. Now if by any chance it's a REFURBISHED unit then I won't take it. I will walk myself across the street into the sprint store where I bought it and deal with those fools. If by any chance they aren't willing to swap it out then I will return the phone. Wonder if they would still impose a $35 restocking fee? In any case I would then walk back to the apple store to get a 5S...that's if they even would have one in stock. Here in Miami the 5S is sold out everywhere. So you see that by going to apple first in hopes of getting a NEW unit I would be saving a lot of run arounds? And I would enjoy the scenery and atmosphere of the great apple store =] Carrier stores are boring.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree. No need to be calling anyone stupid. Stop taking it personal. I'm not dumb either. What you failed to realize is that I rather go to apple store since they offer better service and what not. So if I noticed that they do replace the phone on the spot with a NEW one it's a win situation for me. Now if by any chance it's a REFURBISHED unit then I won't take it. I will walk myself across the street into the sprint store where I bought it and deal with those fools. If by any chance they aren't willing to swap it out then I will return the phone. Wonder if they would still impose a $35 restocking fee? In any case I would then walk back to the apple store to get a 5S...that's if they even would have one in stock. Here in Miami the 5S is sold out everywhere. So you see that by going to apple first in hopes of getting a NEW unit I would be saving a lot of run arounds? And I would enjoy the scenery and atmosphere of the great apple store =] Carrier stores are boring.

I didn't mean to call him stupid. I want to see his reply sound stupid. But it up to. Just remember since the 5S is new, a refurbished should be new as well. But the 5S uses some parts which is the same as the 5, so Apple could still make a batch of 5S for replacement purpose using parts from used iphone 5.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean to call him stupid. I want to see his reply sound stupid. But it up to. Just remember since the 5S is new, a refurbished should be new as well. But the 5S uses some parts which is the same as the 5, so Apple could still make a batch of 5S for replacement purpose using parts from used iphone 5.

You may not have meant to but you did. So relax and go with the flow around here.

The replacement you would get as a warranty exchange would be brand new, because the phone literally came out on Friday. There's no way they'd have turned around refurbs in under a week. They set aside a set number of new units specifically for exchanges in these cases. And he wouldn't likely be charged at Apple for this replacement, where he likely would be at Sprint.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I was indeed right about going to sprint. After dropping off my twins this morning at school I drove to the sprint store. I first asked if they had any new 5S in stock they said no. Then I showed them what was wrong with phone and they simply either you return it and pay the $35 restocking fee and then go buy the phone with upgrade somewhere else. Or go across the street to the apple store and have them swap it for a NEW one. I was going to just return but in my area they aren't any 5S available. Last night I scheduled an appt at the Genius Bar for Friday at 9am. Will keep you posted. I knew I wouldn't do crap at the sprint store. I know apple store will take care of me like always.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
You may not have meant to but you did. So relax and go with the flow around here.

The replacement you would get as a warranty exchange would be brand new, because the phone literally came out on Friday. There's no way they'd have turned around refurbs in under a week. They set aside a set number of new units specifically for exchanges in these cases. And he wouldn't likely be charged at Apple for this replacement, where he likely would be at Sprint.

You are correct. $35 restocking fee. At apple store absolutely nothing. Even if apple tells they have to order a NEW replacement phone and they will inform me when it's ready for pick up I don't mind because honestly I rather deal with apple. Once my wife's 32gb gold one comes in the mail I will check the phone thoroughly. I'm not mad nor disappointed. I always get the latest iPhone on release day and never have had issues with them until this one. It's no biggie. At the end of the day is a phone and material items are replaceable. Thanx to everyone for your inputs.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with the actual apple store that I will be going to Friday morning at 9am. After I explained the situation the lady was courteous enough to say "on behalf of Apple I would like to apologize for this inconvenience" She said she hasn't heard any cases like mine and that's normal to have a defective phone. She explained to me that at the moment they do have inventory for my phone. They do not have any refurbished at this moment and won't for a couple of weeks or so. They are getting new inventory daily. Basically what's going to happen on Friday is if they have my phone in stock they will give me a new one and if they don't they will order me one and email me once it's ready for pick up. I explained to her what was told to me by the sprint store across the street. She said no worries here at apple we will defiantly take care of you. She said don't worry we know your phone is new and you want a new as a replacement and indeed you will get a new one not refurbished. You see people that's why Apple is such a great company. Top notch customer service. They really stand behind their products. She went ahead and looked up my appointment and flagged it down. She notated that a new sprint 16gb space grey would be needed to do my exchange. She gave me her name and told me to see her Friday morning when I go inside as she will be working that shift. I'm looking forward to this upcoming Friday yet again :)

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Who are you calling stupid? LOL calm down tough guy, no need to take this personal. Looking at your grammar based on your replies, I wouldn't be so quick in calling someone stupid ;). What you just tried to explain made no sense at all.

Last edited:

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from the apple store. Had scheduled appointment since Monday for today at 9am. At first genius took the phone to the back and apparently had fixed it...im like no its the same. Then he took out his 5s and told me look it does it on mine too...im like no it doesn't. Then he said well the screen may seem thicker because of the screen protector im like ok so what...that's not normal. Then I saw a guy with a 5s next to me doing an exchange on his ipad. I had asked him to let me borrow his phone and guess what his phone didn't have this issue. So I look at the genius and im like look not trying to be OCD or pain in the pass but honestly I rather not be here wasting my time. Just give me a new phone and that's it. So he goes to the back and gives me a brand new inside a retail box iphone 5s. Said it was the last one available today. So 10 mins later I walked out with a new iphone 5s.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Glad you took care of it. Sorry to hear that the original person you spoke with wasn't taking care of you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro