iphone 5 compared to Iphone 5S

ferniesp

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I have Verizon as my carrier. Okay, I played with the new iphone any to be quite honest, it's really not that big of a deal compared to the 5. Browsing the web I saw no difference at all. Yes, the camera is a bit better but most people wont know the difference. Who else feels this way?

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I actually find this impressive as usual. You know I sold my 5 I got at launch last year and got me the 5s on launch day. Honestly this phone feels better and different. Even the outer casing is better which is why we haven't seen or heard of anyone complaining about scratching easily. Internally it is faster and better make no mistake about that. I'm on sprint and in Miami sprint LTE got heavily deployed in the past 6 months. In spots I didn't have great LTE service with the 5 now with the 5s I do. I'm picking up more LTE and constant LTE connection with the 5S. And battery wise I'm getting better battery too. To me the 5S is a better phone and upgrade regardless of what others say. I'm highly satisfied and thankful again for what apple has done with the 5S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded and gave my 5 to my wife. With utilizing the UI and playing with stock apps and some downloaded ones (Facebook , Twitter, Instagram) I found that it opened all those apps in the same amount of time. I could tell no difference with usability. Yes the 5s is faster but in day to day operations it feels identical.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded and gave my 5 to my wife. With utilizing the UI and playing with stock apps and some downloaded ones (Facebook , Twitter, Instagram) I found that it opened all those apps in the same amount of time. I could tell no difference with usability. Yes the 5s is faster but in day to day operations it feels identical.

I think when apps are made for 64 bit you will see and notice the difference but I agree for day to user no difference it's just the geek in all of us having to have the best latest and greatest and knowing what those specs mean for the upcoming future.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My 5 has better signal strength than 5s-full strength on the 5... 3 of 5 on the 5s( before and after updating 5s to 7.01. One in left hand, one in right. What's that about?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My 5 has better signal strength than 5s-full strength on the 5... 3 of 5 on the 5s( before and after updating 5s to 7.01. One in left hand, one in right. What's that about?

Hard to say maybe all those LTE bands conflicting ? Might get better with updates or maybe the signal bar meter is just off caliber

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I have Verizon as my carrier. Okay, I played with the new iphone any to be quite honest, it's really not that big of a deal compared to the 5. Browsing the web I saw no difference at all. Yes, the camera is a bit better but most people wont know the difference. Who else feels this way?

That's a good thing!
If you don't need it or want it... now you can comfortably wait and upgrade when iPhone 6 comes out.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think when apps are made for 64 bit you will see and notice the difference but I agree for day to user no difference it's just the geek in all of us having to have the best latest and greatest and knowing what those specs mean for the upcoming future.

Thing is, I won't have this phone in the future (11 months til next iphone) when the specs really mean something. I took my 64gb 5S back and went back to my 64gb 5. Not worth paying full price for if you have a 5 IMO. If I had an upgrade, it'd be a nobrainer, you always use upgrades asap.

I've already learned you buy for now, not what might happen in the future. I'll most likely get an ipad or mac (or both) later this year.

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
You have to really be into techy stuff in order to really see or feel a difference between the 5 and the 5s. I don't believe most people are that tech savvy to notice any difference. For the average Joe, that isn't into the whole "I simply must have a gold iPhone" thing, I think the 5 is more than enough to impress you and keep you satisfied without draining your wallet. If you have an upgrade and a 5s will not cost you an arm and a leg, of course go with the latest.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been testing cameras side-by-side, 5 vs. 5s. I am a photographer (for fun, not for pay!)- the one thing I do *daily* (beyond standard iPhone stuff) is take photos. More often than not, they are low light: at dawn, at dusk...etc. The difference is (believe it or not) feels worth the big spend for me. Also, the space gray is gorgeous in its sleek-yet-not-total-blackness.

Thanks to Apple's amazing customer service, I have 30 days to decide (I mostly already decided). I'll sell the 5 still on AppleCare- and use next upgrade for next round. My carrier thoughtfully replaced a bum 5 in Feb (which was great) - yet also thoughtfully extended my contract until Feb 2015 (vs Sep 2014), which was not so great. At the time, after a week w/ no working phone, I was glad to have new-out-of-retail box (no a service replacement), and willing to take the black they had vs the white they couldn't get to work properly.

This will keep me till then. Another 1-2 years could see some interesting developments in carrier and/ or contract options, so I'll just wait and see. In two years, the tech world could change - yet in two years or ten, space gray will still be a timeless beauty.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

To you it's not that big of a deal...that's your opinion. The phone is an upgrade all around in my opinion.

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Thing is, I won't have this phone in the future (11 months til next iphone) when the specs really mean something. I took my 64gb 5S back and went back to my 64gb 5. Not worth paying full price for if you have a 5 IMO. If I had an upgrade, it'd be a nobrainer, you always use upgrades asap.

I've already learned you buy for now, not what might happen in the future. I'll most likely get an ipad or mac (or both) later this year.

I originally was going to get a 5s, but after reading reviews and such; I will get either a new unreleased mini or macbook. I'm really loving iOS.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Last night I took my black iPhone 5 and put it side by side with my iPhone 5S.
I did the following tests :

1)Wi Fi test to see which phone is faster with web pages, App Store, email, iTunes etc.
miraculously the iPhone 5 won at times and the 5S Drew or was at par. Oh and by the way I closed all running applications and cleared safari from any cookies and data.
Conclusion: the 5S and iPhone 5 are the SAME in terms of safaris and loading data.

2. Camera test. I took heaps of photos and that's were I noticed a difference with how fast the phone took the photo and stores it. It must be the new A7
processor.
Conclusion : iPhone 5S takes better photos faster than the 5

3. Opening applications.
I noticed when opening apps that didn't require any power the phones were at par. But with apps like infinity blade 3 , the iPhone 5S won a few seconds before the 5
Conclusion: with regular apps there is no difference, but with applications that demand power the 5S wins.

Conclusion : the iPhone 5S is the refined iPhone 5

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I had a meal with a friend who has a 5 and wasn't sure about getting the 5S. She's now absolutely trading her 5 for a 5s. She was shocked at the speed difference.

ADGrant

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
I think the fingerprint reader alone is worth upgrading for. As far as performance, the 5 was already fast enough for most apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR