Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Karenkcoulter
  • 1 Post By ame
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts

Default Unlocking Sprint 5S for use on other US carriers?

Hey everyone,

So I was wondering if anyone out there has tried/can try this. The Sprint model of the 5S (A1453) contains all GSM, CDMA, & LTE bands for all the US carriers, but I'm not sure if that's somehow disabled in firmware. That is, if I got it unlocked, would I be able to pop in a Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile SIM and have it work with voice/data? Thanks in advance!
    Current iOS Devices: iPhone 5S (A1533 GSM), iPad Mini, AppleTV (2nd Gen)
    Past iOS Devices: iPhone 5 (A1428/9), iPhone 4S (Sprint & Verizon), iPad (3rd Gen), iPad 2, iPad, iPod Touch (2nd & 4th Gen)

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Unlocking Sprint 5S for use on other US carriers?

Not Verizon... Verizon will not activate any device that was not OEMed for them specifically... and Verizon's voice network is legacy CDMA... all devices fall back to that for voice... LTE is data only.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtmjr90 View Post
    Hey everyone,

So I was wondering if anyone out there has tried/can try this. The Sprint model of the 5S (A1453) contains all GSM, CDMA, & LTE bands for all the US carriers, but I'm not sure if that's somehow disabled in firmware. That is, if I got it unlocked, would I be able to pop in a Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile SIM and have it work with voice/data? Thanks in advance!
    Nope. It's Sprint-only.
    "Balls!" said the Queen, "if I had them I'd be King!"
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Not Verizon... Verizon will not activate any device that was not OEMed for them specifically... and Verizon's voice network is legacy CDMA... all devices fall back to that for voice... LTE is data only.
    I wonder if it would work for data only using an already provisioned Verizon SIM. It would be inconvenient for most people I guess, but I do all my texting through Google Voice & Hangouts and could do my (very few calls) though something like Talkatone or even Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Nope. It's Sprint-only.
    Hm, I can see why it might not work on Verizon since they can regulate the devices on their network. But it would be...interesting...to find out that Sprint would go so far as to artificially block other US GSM carriers through firmware, even on an unlocked device. That would be especially disgusting.
    Past iOS Devices: iPhone 5 (A1428/9), iPhone 4S (Sprint & Verizon), iPad (3rd Gen), iPad 2, iPad, iPod Touch (2nd & 4th Gen)

Global Posts
    7,032 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

I wonder if it would work for data only using an already provisioned Verizon SIM. It would be inconvenient for most people I guess, but I do all my texting through Google Voice & Hangouts and could do my (very few calls) though something like Talkatone or even Skype.

Hm, I can see why it might not work on Verizon since they can regulate the devices on their network. But it would be...interesting...to find out that Sprint would go so far as to artificially block other US GSM carriers through firmware, even on an unlocked device. That would be especially disgusting.
    You have to request a GSM/LTE unlock from Sprint. Anecdotal reports say they are very stingy about giving them out. (Verizon used to be no better but they had to unlock all devices for GSM/LTE as part of a deal with the government to get more spectrum.)
    Thanked by:
    Lupita Rodriguez (01-26-2014)
    kch50428 likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    You have to request a GSM/LTE unlock from Sprint. Anecdotal reports say they are very stingy about giving them out. (Verizon used to be no better but they had to unlock all devices for GSM/LTE as part of a deal with the government to get more spectrum.)
    Yeah, I used to be on Sprint (and Verizon & AT&T) and I've gone through hell trying to get phones unlocked. That said, I wonder if I buy full retail if Sprint would have any justifiable reason not to unlock my device. The Apple Store near me only had gold 5S's in the AT&T model available (I'm on T-Mo), but I got AT&T to unlock it for me because I bought full retail. I think the carriers might be feeling a little bit of pressure given the government/FCC's push towards making unlocking not only easier, but a right of any cell phone owner.
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts

From what I understand from my husband working in telcom, Sprint and Verizon are particular about how their phones are manufactured, on purpose, to work around those other technologies. So the phone itself might come with the option for a GSM/unlock to work on ATT or Tmo, but Sprint and Verizon want their phones made so that they will only work on their networks. "Artificial block" or otherwise, they make it a point that you're locked to them with that device. Even their CDMA networks are slightly different on purpose.

Global Posts
    7,032 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

From what I understand from my husband working in telcom, Sprint and Verizon are particular about how their phones are manufactured, on purpose, to work around those other technologies. So the phone itself might come with the option for a GSM/unlock to work on ATT or Tmo, but Sprint and Verizon want their phones made so that they will only work on their networks. "Artificial block" or otherwise, they make it a point that you're locked to them with that device. Even their CDMA networks are slightly different on purpose.
    Not true for Verizon for GSM/LTE though. They made an agreement with the government to leave that part unlocked in order to get more spectrum.
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Not true for Verizon for GSM/LTE though. They made an agreement with the government to leave that part unlocked in order to get more spectrum.
    Interesting. That might have been related to disaster relief efforts with them being the major carrier on the eastern seaboard.

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Interesting. That might have been related to disaster relief efforts with them being the major carrier on the eastern seaboard.
    It was a condition for FCC licensing the huge amounts of 700mhz spectrum Verizon has available to it.
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts

Right but didn't they dump a lot of it to ATT, in part to alleviate part of that condition? That's just my understanding, I didn't ask the husband who is sleeping peacefully. Mostly because I don't want the 4 hour explanation.
    kch50428 likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Hi friends, I write to you from overseas)))) Tell me how to be me. Bought the phone without a contract iphone 5s, but lock your Sprint ****er. How can I be how to unlock it for use in my country? Can somebody help?

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Ubicum View Post
    Hi friends, I write to you from overseas))))
    Hi, and welcome to iMore....
    Tell me how to be me.
    Sorry, but only YOU can be YOU.
    Bought the phone without a contract iphone 5s, but lock your Sprint ****er. How can I be how to unlock it for use in my country? Can somebody help?
    As stated above in post #5, you have to request an unlock from Sprint. Unlocking GSM capable devices
    iMore Nanite

hi sir,
    I search on google and not find real service to unlock factory iPhone locked on Verizon or Sprint USA network. This is not easy service. And for CDMA imei know that not is possible to be unlocked factore 100 percent. This is possible to work only via R-Sim 9. hope help.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

iMore Pro

Global Posts
    869 Global Posts

Quick question is there a wAy to unlock my jailbreak iphone 5s to any carrier i have AT&T

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

AT&T will unlock it for you provided you meet their conditions...
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

The GSM portion of Verizon phones are unlocked out of the box, iPhone 5S included. An FCC requirement they agreed to when they divested spectrum years ago.

As for Sprint, they lock out domestic GSM frequencies/carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile) from their phones. Their unlock method works via an OTA (Over The Air) method while the phone is registered on their network and will work on/with international networks and SIMS.

Hope this helps.