5s/5c with iOS7...battery life improvement?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Ok...has anybody here had a new 5s long enough to see how much better (if any) the battery life is on the new phone with the pre-installed iOS7 than it is on the 5 with the iOS7 upgrade from yesterday?

My 5's battery life has begun to blow hard after the upgrade...and the "restore to new phone" and reset via iTunes yesterday. I mean, I am going from 100% charge right off the charger in the morning before work, to 60% by lunch time!! Heck, I used to have 50% or better left at the end of a 12-hour workday with the same amount of use. Apple is touting improved battery life with the new 5s/5c. If it's true, I'll spend the money on an upgrade today...if there is no improvement, I won't.

Thanks for the help! :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The battery life is going to be better there is no doubt about it. The batter in the 5c and 5s is bigger than the one that was in the iPhone 5. The 5 had a 1440 mAh compared to 1507 (5c) and 1570(5s). As you can see that is a very big difference. The OS learns your habits and so even testing on iPhone 5 the first couple of days my battery life would suck and then it would just be better. Just keep using it and charging it. If after a week or so if it still sucks take it in to an Apple store.

As an IT admin I know the things that affect battery while other people just think that it's the hardware that has a problem. As an example it's hard to explain that having xx number of emails with push enabled will drain the battery because it is frequently checking for emails over the internet.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My 5 got very good by the end on iOS 7, but was running betas all summer.

5s has only just stopped restoring, so I guess I'll see over the weekend... :)

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
My 5 got very good by the end on iOS 7, but was running betas all summer.

5s has only just stopped restoring, so I guess I'll see over the weekend... :)

Let us know, would you? Frankly, I'm pretty happy with my 5 but will upgrade if the 5s has less drain w/OS7.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The battery life is going to be better there is no doubt about it. The batter in the 5c and 5s is bigger than the one that was in the iPhone 5. The 5 had a 1440 mAh compared to 1507 (5c) and 1570(5s). As you can see that is a very big difference. The OS learns your habits and so even testing on iPhone 5 the first couple of days my battery life would suck and then it would just be better. Just keep using it and charging it. If after a week or so if it still sucks take it in to an Apple store.

As an IT admin I know the things that affect battery while other people just think that it's the hardware that has a problem. As an example it's hard to explain that having xx number of emails with push enabled will drain the battery because it is frequently checking for emails over the internet.

Not necessarily true. The 64 bit processor isnt as efficient as the one in the iphone 5 so many reviews are saying it is getting the same battery life as the iphone 5. Every year the same thing happens when people upgrade they use it more and are like my battery is dying quicker.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Not necessarily true. The 64 bit processor isnt as efficient as the one in the iphone 5 so many reviews are saying it is getting the same battery life as the iphone 5. Every year the same thing happens when people upgrade they use it more and are like my battery is dying quicker.

yeah put the post together so fast forgot to post that with the beefier processor and the M7 using some power the battery life should be about the same. Definitely not worst though.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why my battery life is hideous. I have all the settings that I use turned on. Bluetooth off, wi off. Photo stream off. But still in not even reaching 7 hours usage. I get 6 max. With 1 day stand by.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why my battery life is hideous. I have all the settings that I use turned on. Bluetooth off, wi off. Photo stream off. But still in not even reaching 7 hours usage. I get 6 max. With 1 day stand by.

With the size of the battery that is used in this phone, I think you are achieving what should be expected. Remember too that above all else, the level of brightness you keep your screen set at will have the most impact on the battery. Given the many threads regarding this same topic for the iphone 5, 6 hours usage seems right.

Several tests have been done comparing the iphone 5 and iphone 5S side by side for battery life and they have determined that the iphone 5S achieves about 5 minutes better battery life lol. I keep a charger at my desk at work, in my car, and several at home so I have no complaints.

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had it since launch, and haven't noticed any difference between my old 5 and my new 5s. Likely this is because yes, the 5s has a bigger battery but it has more drain on it due to the new tech inside.

jackholl92

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know I think it's increased a bunch and then since I've had it the last couple of days it's gotten better
vehu9ysa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Battery life is better on the 5s than it is on the 5. A 10% bigger battery doesn't hurt either.

adamhildenbrand

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Let us know, would you? Frankly, I'm pretty happy with my 5 but will upgrade if the 5s has less drain w/OS7.

Mine will charge fast, but it dies so so quickly. I took my phone off the charger at 7 this morning and it was already on 60 percent by 9 AM with very little use.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my 5s since 9-24 and the Batt life seems great so far. I go all day like 8 hours with moderate use mostly on wifi. I keep location services off unless I need it and screen brightness at about 50%.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I am not getting the same battery life on the 5s as I did on the 5. I do notice the it drops very fast from a full charge but it still lasts all day as did the 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2