Stupid iCloud Q

opeycunningham

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Keeping iPhone 5 (second phone line) backing up to cloud; can I update 5S using same backup? In other words 2 essentially identical copies? Or is that just idiotic.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure one device will even be able to see a backup not made from the device as being available to use...

opeycunningham

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was wondering ... Assuming you can "restore" a new device using an "old" backup ... Can you still keep the original/old device (current i5)?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure one device will even be able to see a backup not made from the device as being available to use...

Yeah, I'm wrong... what was I thinkin'... possible in iTunes - not sure about iCloud though... does one get to select from available backups when restoring via iCloud?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Keeping iPhone 5 (second phone line) backing up to cloud; can I update 5S using same backup? In other words 2 essentially identical copies? Or is that just idiotic.

Each device will maintain it's own back up independently. You will be able to restore either of them with either of the back up files. The only thing you have to do is "name" each one something different in iTunes, which really just helps you keep track of devices. The location of the backup file does not matter.

When you restore an iPhone the last option is to choose the backup file or setup as new. When you get to that iTunes will give you a list of all backups available locally and in iCloud that are associated with your iTunes ID.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's what's going to happen to people with a couple of devices, tho: you're going to run up against capacity issues.

I restored my 5s with my backup from my 5, creating the two distinct backups, and my iCloud usage went to 4.9 GB.

So I finally had to bite the bullet and pay for some extra iCloud storage space.

C'est la vie.

(Alternatively can stop backing up the older device to iCloud, I suppose...)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2