Sprint LTE limitations

xman1102

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
First, I'll be honest in saying I hate Sprints coverage we have here in Denver.

If not for unlimited data and a good employee discount, I would be using another provider moons ago.

For those that don't or do know, Sprint is currently deploying Network Vision (their new LTE service) across the country and currently working on it in Colorado. I'm told by the end of the year, first of next, most of Denver should be well covered.

So, my concern with the 5s is that it doesn't use band 41, which is what Sprint is installing in Colorado now for LTE. The 5s is 24 and 25 (or 25 and 26, can't remember). The new phones releasing for Sprint in the near future will support all these bands and get great coverage. Something the 5s can't. Apparently they are installing the bands the 5s will use, but not until after 41 is completed later this year.

So my concern now is buying the 5s. I'm all but ready to switch from android to ios, but the lack of LTE service concerns me. I'm not in a position to switch carriers, so that isn't an option.

Any current Sprint users or experts want to chime in?

Sent from me phone

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

If not for unlimited data and a good employee discount, I would be using another provider moons ago.

For those that don't or do know, Sprint is currently deploying Network Vision (their new LTE service) across the country and currently working on it in Colorado. I'm told by the end of the year, first of next, most of Denver should be well covered.

So, my concern with the 5s is that it doesn't use band 41, which is what Sprint is installing in Colorado now for LTE. The 5s is 24 and 25 (or 25 and 26, can't remember). The new phones releasing for Sprint in the near future will support all these bands and get great coverage. Something the 5s can't. Apparently they are installing the bands the 5s will use, but not until after 41 is completed later this year.

So my concern now is buying the 5s. I'm all but ready to switch from android to ios, but the lack of LTE service concerns me. I'm not in a position to switch carriers, so that isn't an option.

Sent from me phone

Question you need to ask yourself is if you are able to deal with the current 3G performance. Colorado is scheduled to have all network upgrades completed by 7/2014. If you can't change carriers, then the only option is to wait and get a phone that supports the 2600Mhz bands for LTE. I've been dealing with painful 3G speeds since I got the 4S, and can't wait to use LTE when I pickup my 5s on Friday.

xman1102

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Denver 3g is painfully slow. I have the Galaxy S3 and some spots around town are "ok" and others are almost not usable.

I was all but ready for the 5s but now I'm not sure if I should save my upgrade.

Was really looking forward to having itunes to play my 33gb+ library since android has nothing even close to comparable.

Sent from me phone

xman1102

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
To buy, or not to buy. That is the question.

Probably shouldn't, but damn I have been set on it for weeks.

Sent from me phone

Shawn255

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I live in PA and couldn't take it anymore Sprint keeps saying we where going to get LTE.2 years with 0.04 data speed I'm switching to Verizon.Sprint keeps saying the towers are working fine but I we haven't had any usable data in our area for 2 years.

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Denver 3g is painfully slow. I have the Galaxy S3 and some spots around town are "ok" and others are almost not usable.

I can't say whether you will definitely see improved speeds, but Network Vision is designed to increase the backhaul bandwidth as well. This means (at least in theory!) you should see improved speeds on 3G as well. In addition, more users will be enjoying the LTE connections, they will not be connecting on 3G which should free up some bandwidth there again.

But yeah, I'd have to think pretty hard about getting a 5S with no LTE coverage. As it is where I am in South SF Bay Area, data coverage is pretty spotty (3G + LTE)

xman1102

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'm really wanting the 5s! Anyone out there with a 5s in Denver with Sprint?

Wondering about some real life experiences so far.

Wanting to pull the trigger again!

Google Music has been killing me this week!

Sent from me phone

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Although I don't live in the US, my case is a bit similar. My carrier doesn't even offer LTE yet not on any frequency. However, the competitor carrier does at crazy prices over 800 MHZ and 2600 MHZ, yet I will still get the T-Mobile Unlocked version which doesn't support LTE on the competitor carrier but will on my current carrier which is months away from launching LTE.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
We live in St. Louis, but live in a poor coverage area. My wife got the iPhone 5 C this week and has had much better coverage than we previously had. In areas with spotty coverage in the past she was able to get a decent signal and areas where we normally roam seem to be stronger also. Even though we were still roaming. So far I would say the signal strength of the iPhone is much better than my android galaxy S2 or her iPhone 4. I can't find the 5s stock anywhere around me, so I don't have any experience specifically with with it's antenna but it should be the exact same.

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site

Sent from me phone

I'm a bit confused by your statement about the different bands sprint is installing on their lte for Colorado. Are you saying that Sprints current LTE deployment supports different bands? As in, the sprint LTE that I enjoy on my iPhone 5 in Springfield, MO won't be supported on my iPhone 5 if I visit Colorado?

On a side note. I would urge you to be patient with sprint. I have been a customer since 2004 and sprints 3G has been painfully slow in the more recent years, but now that they are and have been deploying LTE rapidly in Springfield, MO I am extremely glad I stuck it out with them. I have been getting great speeds over the 30Mbps mark and with uploads over 8Mbps. I am enjoying having these speeds with unlimited, non-throttled data. The new my way unlimited plans are great as well with unlimited voice and text. Just hang in there a bit longer. Truly unlimited is worth it. I think the SoftBank deal that happened recently with sprint will be producing great results for any sprint customer sooner than later!

Last edited:

xman1102

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been a customer with Sprint alot longer than 2004 and my patience is done.

Promise after promise after promise has been a failure or letdown.

If Denver gets the new Network Vision by next summer I'll be completely and utterly shocked.

Sent from me phone

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2