iPhone 5S A1533 One device or two?

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Guys I am really confused. I can see on Apple website that the A1533 will come in both CDMA and GSM, but since both devices have the same model number does this mean there is only one device having both CDMA and GSM as the iPhone 4S, or they come in two different versions but Apple just decided to give them the same model number.

Also I got two other questions, I live in Qatar, the only carrier offering 4G here is a carrier called ooredoo it uses Bands 20 and 7 for LTE (That's 2,600 MHZ and 800 MHZ). The US iPhone 5S A1533 offers support to Bands 19 and 20 (800 MHZ and 800 DD) but not band 7 (2,600 MHZ) does this mean the iPhone 5S will work be able to work on ooredoo 4G normally where Bands 20 and 19 are offered?

The last question is, I have a mailing address in the US provided by an international courier I trust. If I use Apple website to order the off-contract iPhone 5S (A1533), it does come unlocked right? (And will I pay NY taxes as my mailing address is in NY, if yes is there anyway I can get it of the US without paying taxes just as on Amazon when buying PS3 games for example?)

Thanks in advance.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Ah, the VAT, of course.

Paying unlocked prices, I'd still pay the difference for LTE... But different strokes for different folks.

But back to main topic -- unless you have a CDMA carrier overseas that flashes their software, or unless you want to be able to get Verizon prepaid when you're Stateside, don't worry about the A1533 model differences, provided that you have an unlocked model.

EDIT: but am not answering your other question re LTE.

When it's two different bands, it's usually one of them up and the other down, no?

Or are they supplemental, as with Rogers in Canada -- usual LTE coverage is Bands 4 & 17 (one up, one down), but now there's also a Band 7 LTE network.

Aren't these things fun! (A1533 has bands 19&20, as you say.)

Any overseas-traveling LTE mavens lurking around this forum?

Last edited:

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes I understand the case with LTE is difficult. Most carriers were using the same UMTS frequencies I don't know why suddenly each carrier decided to use a special frequency for LTE.

Regarding CDMA, I am glad it is only software locked, because I do come to the US at least once a year for a short holiday so I might use a prepaid Verizon a day (I usually use a Roaming Plan)

Thanks for helping me, I guess I will need to contact someone who actually understands how 4G LTE works at my carrier (their customer service are horrible, they are clueless and always tell their opinions not facts)

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes I understand the case with LTE is difficult. Most carriers were using the same UMTS frequencies I don't know why suddenly each carrier decided to use a special frequency for LTE.

Regarding CDMA, I am glad it is only software locked, because I do come to the US at least once a year for a short holiday so I might use a prepaid Verizon a day (I usually use a Roaming Plan)

Thanks for helping me, I guess I will need to contact someone who actually understands how 4G LTE works at my carrier (their customer service are horrible, they are clueless and always tell their opinions not facts)

Oh, if you want to use Verizon prepaid, then make sure you get a Verizon A1533. They're strict about that. (I use a TMobile $3/day plan when I'm in the US, but they have gaps in their coverage. (Much improved lately tho.))

So it'll work with them, and have same functionality overseas as an AT&T A1533.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77