"Under spec'd"

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I love how android fans are now becoming huge fans of under spec'd devices, specifically the Moto X. It just goes to prove that just because a device doesn't have a quad or octa-core processor and other high-end specs doesnt mean that it's a crappy devices. The spec war is stupid in my opinion. Apple has, in recent years at least, always had "under spec'd" devices. It's all about how the company utilizes the internals to their advantage. I have the 4S currently and even when that came out it was extremely under spec'd compared to other smartphones. The combination of the internal specs and OS is so important. Apple is proof that you don't need high end specs to create an amazing phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Under spec'd? I'm not sure I agree. To me, an under spec'd device is one that cannot properly run the apps that are made for it or a device that is underpowered to use the features associated with it. That is not the iPhone, in my opinion. ... ;)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
IMHO that is not even a 3GS going back that far while i bit slower of course, Design and chip to someone who is still using a phone like this and can accept the OS it is limited to still has a good phone. Of course IP 4 and above there is not even an argument with me.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Under spec'd? I'm not sure I agree. To me, an under spec'd device is one that cannot properly run the apps that are made for it or a device that is underpowered to use the features associated with it. That is not the iPhone, in my opinion. ... ;)

By under spec'd I meant, compared to other phones it only has a dual-core processor that is usually under clocked, smaller screen etc. Compared to the specs of, let's say the HTC One or GS4, on paper the iPhone 5S is under spec'd. My point was that regardless of the processor and other things of that nature, it all really boils down to how the manufacturer builds the OS coupled with the hardware. Also, I do not believe that specs matter. Sure, saying you have an octal-core phone sounds cool, but really it doesn't make the phone any better. It's about how the manufacturers build the hardware around their OS. There are people out there that only want a quad-core processor or 10+MP camera because they believe that that stuff actually makes the phone better. I'm not saying the iPhone is under spec'd by any means, I believe that Apple makes amazing devices and the reason for that is because they pay attention and build their hardware to suit their OS. I was trying to point out that most people look at the specs and base their decisions off of that and whether the phone is good or not. I just find it funny that those people who were praising quad core phones and such are now praising a phone that they used to believe was under spec'd. Look at most of the threads over at AC. They are always bragging about how much of a difference their quad-core processors make or how their phone had more MP's than someone else's. They are more worried about the specs of their phones.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
By under spec'd I meant, compared to other phones it only has a dual-core processor that is usually under clocked, smaller screen etc. Compared to the specs of, let's say the HTC One or GS4, on paper the iPhone 5S is under spec'd. My point was that regardless of the processor and other things of that nature, it all really boils down to how the manufacturer builds the OS coupled with the hardware. Also, I do not believe that specs matter. Sure, saying you have an octal-core phone sounds cool, but really it doesn't make the phone any better. It's about how the manufacturers build the hardware around their OS. There are people out there that only want a quad-core processor or 10+MP camera because they believe that that stuff actually makes the phone better. I'm not saying the iPhone is under spec'd by any means, I believe that Apple makes amazing devices and the reason for that is because they pay attention and build their hardware to suit their OS. I was trying to point out that most people look at the specs and base their decisions off of that and whether the phone is good or not. I just find it funny that those people who were praising quad core phones and such are now praising a phone that they used to believe was under spec'd. Look at most of the threads over at AC. They are always bragging about how much of a difference their quad-core processors make or how their phone had more MP's than someone else's. They are more worried about the specs of their phones.

Oh okay. I understand. Thanks. ;)