iPhone 5s preview: 64-bit Apple A7 chipset with twice the speed, OpenGL ES 3.0, and more!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5s preview: 64-bit Apple A7 chipset with twice the speed, OpenGL ES 3.0, and more!

In the KeyNote coming out with announcement day I read many different opinions here from wonderful and stoked ( I would be one of them) to people being very dissapointed in what they heard about the new 5S. I personally cannot wait to pick up my new 'Space Gray' so in reading this article I got even more excited to learn many things i did not know before. Many people say that the A7 chip does not mean anything but in my opinion SOC ( System on a chip) as it is called is not just what makes the 5S. It is the sum of everything put together with the new A7 that is going to blow this phone out of the water along with of course the new OS 7 operating system.
I would suggest you grab something cold to drink and really read this entire well written article about the inside of what in my opinion is going to make the 5S such a great phone and then voice your opinion in the 5S forum. Thank you everyone..

iPhone 5s preview: 64-bit Apple A7 chipset with twice the speed, OpenGL ES 3.0, and more! | iMore

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
64-bits may not be relevant to a majority at this time, but it will at some point. Thanks for sharing the article...:)

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So in theory games could have better physics running on the A7 chip.

My main question is is the A7 a dual core or quad core or maybe even a triple core.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
64-bits may not be relevant to a majority at this time, but it will at some point. Thanks for sharing the article...:)
You are most welcome and I believe the key is relevant eventually down the road and then again I know there are too many creative people here that will find where the 64 Bit will work for them right away and give examples on how and what application it worked for them and I don't mean APP as in Apps from the app store but another application for the speed of the chip and what the 64 bit was made for.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You are most welcome and I believe the key is relevant eventually down the road and then again I know there are too many creative people here that will find where the 64 Bit will work for them right away and give examples on how and what application it worked for them and I don't mean APP as in Apps from the app store but another application for the speed of the chip and what the 64 bit was made for.

Yes sir. There's no doubt about it.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I believe in the A7 and the quest for desktop class software.

When you connect your iPhone to a TV or large monitor, you realize that all the content is no different than a console would have. It is in stunning 1080p.

Initially what we all thought was that A7 and 64 were going to have immediate results such as the ability to run apps in the background like play YouTube videos.

Those technologies must be unlocked and the developers have the keys. Thats the cutting edge.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm one still waiting to see the relevancy of the 64bit chip set on this device...I had an unpopular opinion when the device came out that it was mainly a "spec on paper" bragging right (as things sit for now), and I still feel that way, but would be willing to eat my words if they release something that solidly supports the need for such a high powered chip.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm one still waiting to see the relevancy of the 64bit chip set on this device...I had an unpopular opinion when the device came out that it was mainly a "spec on paper" bragging right (as things sit for now), and I still feel that way, but would be willing to eat my words if they release something that solidly supports the need for such a high powered chip.

You'll See it in about a year when most apps will take advantage of the A7.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using Tapatalk.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You'll See it in about a year when most apps will take advantage of the A7.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using Tapatalk.

Around the time the new iPhone is released...which, unfortunately, won't speak well for the 5S (as people will kind of forget about it in light of a new release).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it depends on what you are doing with it and what apps you use. For instance the devs of this app have said in interviews that there is already a lot of stuff added to the app, that was only possible with the 64-bit processor.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/01/ybuzu5an.jpg

Infinity Blade III has better graphics, more textures, etc when it is running 64-bit.

But yes for your average todo app, 64-bit isn't going to add much.

Reading about that vJay app (since you mentioned it) actually kind of makes me optimistic, as I didn't know so much development went into such. Thanks for the link!

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on what you are doing with it and what apps you use. For instance the devs of this app have said in interviews that there is already a lot of stuff added to the app, that was only possible with the 64-bit processor.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/01/ybuzu5an.jpg

Infinity Blade III has better graphics, more textures, etc when it is running 64-bit.

But yes for your average todo app, 64-bit isn't going to add much.

It's useful for me cause I like to buy tech that will last for a while before I buy something new. I got the 4S cause I knew it would last though my 3 year contract (Bell Canada) before I needed an upgrade. But with 64-bit, my 4S is now outdated so I need to upgrade now but the 5S will last for 3 years cause now that's the device most developers will be optimizing apps for.

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, whatever this processor is, it's no gimmick. The difference in frame rate is astronomical when the 5S and 5 are compared using optimised games. There's no lag in the 5S when I play Arkham Origins and it seems that the game lags during every move on the 5.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk