Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 18 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default iPhone 5S Naked or in a case?

I can't believe someone hasn't asked yet. So who is rolling naked and who is going with a case?

Every iPhone I have ever owned has been in a case from day 1. Starting with my 4 I got heavy duty cases. Otterbox Defender on my 4 and Lifeproof on my 5. This time though I'm going with a different strategy. I have always been jealous of people I see with their iPhones without a case. I only get to enjoy the beauty of mine when I take it out to clean it.

So this time my strategy is get Applecare + and I have already ordered my Zagg body armor. It covers the screen, back and sides to protect it from fingerprints and smudges. Then if I drop the phone and crack the screen or spill liquid on it I just take it in for a replacement. The funny part is I will have my Zagg stuff before I've even ordered my phone lol.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Newbie

Default Re: Naked or in a case?

I'm using the bodyguardz pure screen protector on my 5 with a speck case, I'm really liking the apple leather cases though, I'm thinking of going with a spigen thin glass screen protector and a leather case. But I do see the appeal of naked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Ipheuria likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    I can't believe someone hasn't asked yet. So who is rolling naked and who is going with a case?

Every iPhone I have ever owned has been in a case from day 1. Starting with my 4 I got heavy duty cases. Otterbox Defender on my 4 and Lifeproof on my 5. This time though I'm going with a different strategy. I have always been jealous of people I see with their iPhones without a case. I only get to enjoy the beauty of mine when I take it out to clean it.

So this time my strategy is get Applecare + and I have already ordered my Zagg body armor. It covers the screen, back and sides to protect it from fingerprints and smudges. Then if I drop the phone and crack the screen or spill liquid on it I just take it in for a replacement. The funny part is I will have my Zagg stuff before I've even ordered my phone lol.
    I'm using a case mate.
    In buying my iPhone 5s 64 gig out right. So I might as well take good care of it

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2 pro
    Ipheuria likes this.

Global Posts
    15,745 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Rock it with out a case.

​Yes it a minor investment. But enjoy it on how Apple intended it to be.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    Rock it with out a case.

You got a point. But if your like me who buys there phone outright then buying a case is manditory

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2 pro
    Thanked by:
    JoyfulHeart35 (09-21-2013)
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,448 Global Posts

I *NEVER* roll naked. NEVER. I put screen protectors on immediately, and a Speck on immediately. I already have my candyshell for the 5S (I might have bought one well in advance because I might have planned on a 5 a while back and then held out...)
    "Balls!" said the Queen, "if I had them I'd be King!"
    Alli and DarlaMack like this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,753 Global Posts

I bought proclip mounts that work with cases. So it's too much of a hassle to take the case off all the time. Feels better with a case on anyway and the screen is all that matters.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    iMore Newbie

I am still on my first iPhone which is the 4s. I bought it outright nearly two years ago and since then I have had around six different cases on it. None of them have lasted longer than a week. I love the feel of it without a case and I cannot cope with any screen protectors as they just don't feel right. So if I buy the 5s it will have to go naked.
    Pre ordered: Slate Grey iPad Air 2 64gb.

Black 32gb iPad 3.

White (never going white again) 16gb (Never going 16gb again) Ipad2

Black 32gb iPhone 5s

Black 16gb iPhone 4s

2@ ATV3 using Plex.
    nokia4life likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,960 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

For the first time in my iPhone life, I'm considering buying one of the cases when I get the phone...and mainly because I'm afraid the shock of a major drop could cause some havoc on that fingerprint scanning system (given it has several small pieces working all together right on the exterior of the phone). Haven't made a decision 100% just yet, but I think I'm going to buy the black Apple case that they showed in the keynote.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Ipheuria likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by v6mikey View Post
    I am still on my first iPhone which is the 4s. I bought it outright nearly two years ago and since then I have had around six different cases on it. None of them have lasted longer than a week. I love the feel of it without a case and I cannot cope with any screen protectors as they just don't feel right. So if I buy the 5s it will have to go naked.
    I've always had the same problem with screen protectors up until I got one of the tempered glass protectors . These things are awesome. No finger stick, orange peel, easy scratching . Just like going without a protector with the exception of the home button which is a little tough to get to with the bodyguardz as it is a bit thicker than others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Global Posts
    7,206 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

No case, no screen protectors.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts

I agree with Sean; if I were going to pick up a 5s, I probably would rock with a case just because of the new technology incorporated in the phone. I woulnd't want to disrupt the fingerprint scanner and possibly lock myself out of the phone!

I have a Ballistics case for my 5, but it comes on and off. Most of the time I don't use it; I LOVE the look and feel of my black 5 without the case. I have never broken ANY phone I have ever had until my 4s a few months ago, which is why I purchased a case for my 5.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have several cases that I switch around with. I agree with those who say that the naked phone is preferable. It is a great work of visual art that is a shame to cover up. However, I cannot control accidental drops (as they are accidents) and the dog-gone thing is so thin I can barely pick it up from a hard flat surface. And that makes it even easier to drop. That being said, mine goes naked on the weekends when I am just sitting around the house or watching a movie with the family.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts

Yea I will throw my case on when I go out, not just to protect it but also to set it apart from other phones in a public place.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

I just ordered the Otterbox Defender for the 5s. I always like to have the greatest amount of protection on my phone.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by jkel777 View Post
    I just ordered the Otterbox Defender for the 5s. I always like to have the greatest amount of protection on my phone.
    when you get it let me know how they handle the Touch ID sensor. I'm intrigued how they will cover it but have it still be functional.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    No case, no screen protectors.
    my OCD would never let me use it bareback lol
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by jmburke1982 View Post
    I agree with Sean; if I were going to pick up a 5s, I probably would rock with a case just because of the new technology incorporated in the phone. I woulnd't want to disrupt the fingerprint scanner and possibly lock myself out of the phone!

I have a Ballistics case for my 5, but it comes on and off. Most of the time I don't use it; I LOVE the look and feel of my black 5 without the case. I have never broken ANY phone I have ever had until my 4s a few months ago, which is why I purchased a case for my 5.
    Just like App store purchases I think there will still be an option to use the passcode to unlock. If you have Applecare+ you could replace the phone.
    iMore Beginner

I'm going for a clear case. I'm scared of dropping my phone.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    when you get it let me know how they handle the Touch ID sensor. I'm intrigued how they will cover it but have it still be functional.
    Will do! Hopefully it'll arrive before the the 5s. I think what they've done is have a screen protector covering the entire front of the phone and a circular cutout for the home button. No more rubber covering it.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Plan on keeping mine no case just like my last 3. Only one small scratch in my 4 screen.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    842 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I normally carry all of my iphones with a case they are too nice to put in a case got the apple care so i am going naked for the first few weeks then i plan on going with the element special ops shell at its expensive but i have them before and it still feels good and doesn't look like everyone else's
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    Rock it with out a case.

If Apple really intended for it to be used without a case, why did they show off their cases for it at the Announcement?

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    bahandi likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts

I always have tons of cases but I really want to show off my pretty gold phone so I am thinking of going naked.
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

iPhone 6 64gb space grey . iPad air 64gb LTE silver . iPad mini 16gb LTE black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

If I get the 5S, the first thing I'll do before even setting it up will be to apply a screen protector and a Speck case.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 18 1234 ... LastLast