missinformation

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
reading comments on various blogs and reports in response to the new iphone 5S, almost all of the commenters seems to think the 64 bit CPU is just a gimmick even though thats not true, and/or that apple is conspiring with the NSA to store all our fingerprints, and/or that the fingerprint feature won't work because android tried it in a 3 year old phone, and/or that the 5S is doesn't have a better camera because its still 8 megapixels, and/or that the new phone is just the same as the old one, etc.

what gets me is how easy it is to get the correct info about the phone. this is driving me nuts. Its one thing when people make an educated choice not to get an iphone. its another when they just make stuff up.

I don't begrudge people who want a phone with NFC support, or a bigger screen, or other function or feature iphone lacks and not choosing an iphone. if those are features people want and another company has a phone that better suits their needs, I get that. I think its wrong for people who aren't interested in those features to begrudge their choice. same was with apple haters who do that to us.

but the people who hate the iphone for reasons that are flat out bogus nonsense, this really annoys me. Where is this stuff even coming from?

it'd be like me not wanting a lumia because it is designed to shock me everytime I come to imore, and also records me and send that to ballmer, as opposed to legit reasons like lacking apps I want and not liking the windows GUI, or not wanting a samsung because it beams gamma radiation and homing signals for drone strikes, instead of legit reasons like android having poor security, and being clunky.

what do you think?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think many of us share your feelings...;)....but there will always be naysayers.

Stevenojobs

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Everytime you see a hater, remember that it's always the best that is the most critices, if iPhone wasn't the best, people wouldn't care hating it !

Tell them that and they start to bite after ahaha

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There is some logic to the naysayers though...the 64bit chip set is going to really not be all that noticeable with the amount of RAM the iPhone is currently equipped with, because the phone itself probably won't ever be pushing anything that really makes that new chip set shine. Gaming will be fast, but it's already fast...in the end though, most of the features when it comes to these new phone builds are things that 90% of the consumers that buy them will never see in action, I mean 1GB of RAM is something we could see on the leading computers only a matter of about 5-6 years ago, and now it's a minimal standard on a smart phone.

Honestly, I haven't experienced any laggy performance or slow down on my iPhone doing anything since the iPhone 4S...even playing graphic heavy games on it like infinity blade (since that seems to be their "go to" game for showing off new hardware).

I'm stoked the iPhone has the 64bit chip, it makes it stand out in midst of a slew of great phones on the market because of it...but I don't think it's going to be some jaw dropping function to people, because the iPhone already runs so great as it is.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
If you just check email, and browse facebook and watch youtube and play candy crush or whatever, you probably won't notice much. but for those of us who take videos and upload them to youtube or whatever that takes forever it seems. now with iOS7 adopted to 64 bit it'll take half as long. maybe 2 minutes instead of 4 to process the video. or if we play in imovie, etc. not to mention things like the 120 fps videos and other features that are no doubt made possible by the new CPU. Then graphic intense games. the point being its not just a gimmick as the haters claim. Even if the basic users who just play candy crush and post on facebook and pinterest won't notice, its still not a gimmick because for those of us who want the extra power will see a difference when we use apps that require that extra computing power. (like video editing) You'll probably see new apps come out too that can do new and neat stuff with the extra power.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you just check email, and browse facebook and watch youtube and play candy crush or whatever, you probably won't notice much. but for those of us who take videos and upload them to youtube or whatever that takes forever it seems. now with iOS7 adopted to 64 bit it'll take half as long. maybe 2 minutes instead of 4 to process the video. or if we play in imovie, etc. not to mention things like the 120 fps videos and other features that are no doubt made possible by the new CPU. Then graphic intense games. the point being its not just a gimmick as the haters claim. Even if the basic users who just play candy crush and post on facebook and pinterest won't notice, its still not a gimmick because for those of us who want the extra power will see a difference when we use apps that require that extra computing power. (like video editing) You'll probably see new apps come out too that can do new and neat stuff with the extra power.

No one is going to do legitimate video editing on the iPhone...it's just not setup to do it outside of using iMovie, which on the iPhone is pretty much a gimmick.

Also, video processing, as it sits, is not a lengthy process...where you run into the speed bump is network processing for uploading, which the chip set is NOT going to help at all.

I'm not here to say there's no purpose to the heavy duty chip, but I will say that thus far, nothing done on the iPhone has called for it regardless of what kind of work you're doing on it...I understand the phone's fingerprint identification system does pull on the processing power a good bit, and for that, I'm sure it was a properly setup system, but what you mentioned above are not going to drag even the A6 down enough to make it slow down out of the optimal performance levels.

Hopefully we'll actually see some things that require this kind of internal spec over the next year. I use automotive analogies many times, in this case it's a lot like your high end exotics...the Porsche 911 for instance, for the last decade it's had more horsepower than would ever be used, even in track days most cases, but every generation gets more. More power is awesome when you're competitive with other things on the market, but I honestly think the 64bit chip was a "chest bump" (for now) more than a useful function (that is of course with me not really understanding just how essential it was to the fingerprint reading system).

bitshifter1001

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Going to a 64-bit architecture in the iPhone really has nothing to do with the amount of memory it can address. It's pretty safe to assume the iP5s doesn't have greater than 4GB of RAM. What the iP5s does gain by going 64-bit is the ability to do 64-bit computations in fewer clock cycles.

Fewer clock cycles? Huh?
Let me provide an analogy. Sudo make me a sandwich! Both 32-bit and 64-bit processors can eat a sandwich of 128 bits in size. The 64-bit processor can eat the sandwich faster because it can take bites that are twice as big. The performance gain is only seen when the sandwich size is greater that 32 bits.

What are some possible examples of 64-bit computations?
I think the most obvious one is encryption. Apple mentioned that the Touch ID data is stored in a secure enclave. Second, probably on the fly video encoding. Especially since the iP5s can do 120 fps 720p. I feel that it is safe to deduce these encryption / encoding /decoding instructions will greatly benefit from 64-bit operations.

I would like to point out that since I have no idea about the A7 internals I can surmise based on previous knowledge of x86_64 architecture.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Going to a 64-bit architecture in the iPhone really has nothing to do with the amount of memory it can address. It's pretty safe to assume the iP5s doesn't have greater than 4GB of RAM. What the iP5s does gain by going 64-bit is the ability to do 64-bit computations in fewer clock cycles.

Fewer clock cycles? Huh?
Let me provide an analogy. Sudo make me a sandwich! Both 32-bit and 64-bit processors can eat a sandwich of 128 bits in size. The 64-bit processor can eat the sandwich faster because it can take bites that are twice as big. The performance gain is only seen when the sandwich size is greater that 32 bits.

What are some possible examples of 64-bit computations?
I think the most obvious one is encryption. Apple mentioned that the Touch ID data is stored in a secure enclave. Second, probably on the fly video encoding. Especially since the iP5s can do 120 fps 720p. I feel that it is safe to deduce these encryption / encoding /decoding instructions will greatly benefit from 64-bit operations.

I would like to point out that since I have no idea about the A7 internals I can surmise based on previous knowledge of x86_64 architecture.

The iPhone 5S will NOT have 4GB or RAM, lol.

bitshifter1001

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 5S will NOT have 4GB or RAM, lol.

Agreed. It probably has the same amount as the original iP5.

Going to a 64-bit architecture in the iPhone really has nothing to do with the amount of memory it can address. It's pretty safe to assume the iP5s doesn't have greater than 4GB of RAM.

Perhaps this wasn't clear. I was trying to address the common and recently widespread misconception that the only benefit of going to 64-bits was to address memory greater than 4 GB.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. It probably has the same amount as the original iP5.

Perhaps this wasn't clear. I was trying to address the common and recently widespread misconception that the only benefit of going to 64-bits was to address memory greater than 4 GB.

Gotcha, that makes sense...yeah, reading it initially, I felt you were implying the iPhone 5 was going to have up to 4GB of RAM. Thanks for the clarification.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal