Official Waiting in line for an iPhone 5s Thread!

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm willing to do the crazy line thing to get the 5S on launch day... How do I figure out how early I should go? Overnight? Super early on the 20th? I definitely want to go to an Apple store. I have lots of options (DC area),but I'll probably go to one of two. One is inside a mall, and the other has a street-front. What do malls usually do - kick you out overnight? How do I figure all this out??

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm willing to do the crazy line thing to get the 5S on launch day... How do I figure out how early I should go? Overnight? Super early on the 20th? I definitely want to go to an Apple store. I have lots of options (DC area),but I'll probably go to one of two. One is inside a mall, and the other has a street-front. What do malls usually do - kick you out overnight? How do I figure all this out??

Well since you're in a Metro area I would go as early as possible.

Last year I went with my friend to our Mall location, we arrived at 2am and there was about 45 people in front of us. We waited outside the mall entrance by the Apple Store until about 7am when they let us in. By about the time we got in the mall there was over 150 people behind us. It was great to cause they had donuts for us.

What I would recommend is driving by the location you want to wait at just to scout it out to see how many people are lining up. I would recommend going by between 6-7pm.

Good luck I'm probably going to wait in line with a couple friends again.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! That's helpful. Do you know if the line started inside before the mall closed, and was then moved outside? I'm trying to envision this. I'm still hoping to find a friend to go with me, but most of my friends who have iPhones don't seem to be eligible for an upgrade. And my husband will be watching our little boys! :-D

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! That's helpful. Do you know if the line started inside before the mall closed, and was then moved outside? I'm trying to envision this. I'm still hoping to find a friend to go with me, but most of my friends who have iPhones don't seem to be eligible for an upgrade. And my husband will be watching our little boys! :-D

Not sure if the line got moved cause it was already outside when we got there. But I assume it started outside so they didn't have a bunch of people standing in the mall block store fronts and such.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
If you're in the DC area and planning on going to Tyson's Corner, the line usually starts outside. Last year I got in line about 11pm and there were 15 - 20 in front of me. It ended up being really chilly so eventually in the wee hours of the morning mall security let us in, being very careful that we all stayed in our places. But the year before we were outside until the mall opened at 5 or 6 am.

Thanks! I'm in am Montgomery County, so I'm trying to decide between the Montgomery Mall and Bethesda stores.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The news did a story about people already lining up outside Apple stores and WSP stores all over the country. I love my iPhone but not enough to spend a week and some change outside in the sweltering heat of summer.

Celandine

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Why not buy online through you're carrier and pick it up in-store? Sounds like a more sensible solution then missing a day of work and spending what could be hours waiting in line outside. It's not a rollercoaster fcol! :tongue:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Why not buy online through you're carrier and pick it up in-store? Sounds like a more sensible solution then missing a day of work and spending what could be hours waiting in line outside. It's not a rollercoaster fcol! :tongue:

That's not always a solution for some. I work near a Verizon store but don't live near one. I didn't work near one, I'd have to take off work and have it shipped home and be able to sign for it.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Why wait in line at all? The way some people talk it sounds like they believe Apple will stop making the 5S after the initial batch run. I guess I don't understand the preoccupation with being one of the first to get a new iPhone. :confused:

Sent from somewhere

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Why wait in line at all? The way some people talk it sounds like they believe Apple will stop making the 5S after the initial batch run. I guess I don't understand the preoccupation with being one of the first to get a new iPhone. :confused:

Sent from somewhere

I agree, and I have never waited in line for a product launch. Although, I would think it would be exciting to do so! For as impulsive as I can be (wanting something ASAP and not wanting to wait), with the launch of a new iPhone, or something else I want, I surprisingly haven't had an urge to camp out.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Sent from somewhere

People want it now. I have waited in line for a few things, namely Garth Brooks tickets eons ago, but I'm not camping out in front of a store for a week for a phone but if that's your thing, more power to you.

stlcheer

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to camp out at my local AT&T store. I plan to get there around 6am. I'm sure the line will be long but I don't want to be there all night.

mpham2

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I drive by three att stores on my way home from work. If I see one that looks like no line I will stop and get one. If not I will go later the next week.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
malls have many entrances, what would be the best entrance to wait by? lol food court entrance? i will be also waiting in line so id like to know lol, im taking my laptop and lawn chairs as well, lol just so i can preorder the iphone 5s and pick up next day. if i get the order in for next day pick up ill go home and come back the next day to pick it up lol if not, then i didnt lose anything and i keep my place in line.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
malls have many entrances, what would be the best entrance to wait by? lol food court entrance? i will be also waiting in line so id like to know lol, im taking my laptop and lawn chairs as well, lol just so i can preorder the iphone 5s and pick up next day. if i get the order in for next day pick up ill go home and come back the next day to pick it up lol if not, then i didnt lose anything and i keep my place in line.

Most malls have designated doors for this kind of stuff. The Arrowhead mall uses the entrance on the north side of the mall near the movie theaters... you could call the Apple store and ask them...

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
thanks fausty definitely will :) do they generally give out bracelets with designated colors to show your getting a phone or is it a run, and get there first type basis.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
thanks fausty definitely will :) do they generally give out bracelets with designated colors to show your getting a phone or is it a run, and get there first type basis.

No bracelets. Just line up and join the party... the Apple employees will be there around 6:00 and they interact with the crowd... and have water and food (powerbars, or similar)... it truly is a party. Total strangers hanging out and having fun together...

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I am not gonna get myself a 5s since I just got the 5 last year.. But the next iPhone that come out which is probably the 6th.. I want to get it in launch date either line up or pre order.. And if I go line up at the store I would most likely go the night before