Who is jumping ship from BlackBerry or Android TO Apple now with today's Announcement?

Who Is Jumping Ship TO Apple from BlackBerry or Android?

• YES - Leaving BlackBerry

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • YES - Leaving Android

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • NO - Staying Where I Am

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Not Sure What I Am Going To Do Yet

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
First Sean, He has a valid point. Similar to those who are locked into the Apple Ecosystem with Macbook Pro's, Ipads, Iphone etc, it is far easier for them to buy another Iphone and sync it all up with their current system than to download additional apps and a lot of twinkling to get it set up efficiently. It is understandable how he loves how the system is all integrated with all the Google services, after all it is one of the largest service providers and it just creates a simple integration. Secondly there is nothing wrong with a predictive keyboard, personally I am not a fan of swiftkey or anything similar, I prefer the stock nexus keyboard but that is my choice. I never got the hang of the iphone keyboard or its simplicity.

Some people prefer a device which allows great customisation to some extend, people have different views. As you can tell Neonworm prefers customising his phone to the experience he wants, you have to respect that. Jumping down his throat on the issue just causes more conflict between the OS crows.

Jaguar, as an Ambassador, surely you would know to respect people's opinions on what device they use and how they are liking it. He clearly isn't bashing the device but is saying he prefers other devices for the aspects they have and the ecosystem he is currently in.

In my own opinion, I view the iPhones are greatly overpriced for what they are. Over here I cannot justify spending $1000 on a phone which has the same specs and features for the most part as a $300 Nexus. That is my opinion and I am sure most will disagree. I think it is fair that you will have to respect others opinions, android has their postives and it is why they have a 70% market share besides catering for the lower and upper segments of the market.
Jaguar, as an Ambassador, surely you would know to respect people's opinions on what device they use and how they are liking it. He clearly isn't bashing the device but is saying he prefers other devices for the aspects they have and the ecosystem he is currently in.
I could not agree more and as my words were read by you trust me that I 100% agree to allow anyone voice their opinion and just because I said he will always be Android, by no means am I knocking him. With that said, once again I want this to stay friendly as it was a poll and nothing else. Thank you for bringing it out though.

This also is by no means a knock on you and not meant to take it this way but I find in interesting that you very last statement to me about $300.00 Nexus Android phones etc. that this was your first post here as opposed to the 1240 at AC. None the less you are entitled as the rest of us and I appreciate you having a voice.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
The major reason I'm ditching my HTC One GPe is the fact that it's had so many screen issues. I'm on my third one already, and am going to send it back for a refund once I get the 5s. The beauty of Apple products is that there are virtually no hardware issues (most of the time) due to the quality control. I don't know if it's bad luck or HTC's horrific quality control, but I've had three One's with dead pixels and dust under the screen.

Also, Apple's customer service is second to none. If I ever have a problem with my 5s, I can just take a short drive to the Apple retail store and have then fix the issue on the spot. That's not such a luxury with Android phones (for the most part), especially one's coming straight from Google, since they don't have any retail stores. That way, I don't have to deal with ridiculous authorization charges on my credit card just to get a replacement phone.

Second, I sort of miss iOS and the iPhone hardware after being on Android for so long. It'll be a breath of fresh air to use the 5s.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Android. I just dislike some of the manufacturer's quality control. In fact, I'll probably still be picking up a Nexus 5 whenever it comes out. That way I can have the best of Apple and the best of Google!

npunk42

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
My parents are 86 years old. They got iPhones recently. They work well for them. They dont txt or email much, they browse now and then. Im impressed that they figured it out, they visit genius bar from time to time. They call me "one of those crackberry fanatics". Im glad they have iphones, but it isnt the right device for me. Im staying where Im at.

Fairclough

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Npunk, 100% Agree it is easy to use which is why so many flock to it and because its seen also fashionable. It doesn't suit all, particularly the little tinkers out there, I was looking at the Blackberry as they have a nice build too, waiting for the OS to mature a bit same with windows but they are doing good stuff for how long they have been in the touch screen game.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Who is jumping ship from BlackBerry or Android TO Apple now with today's Anno...

I was impressed enough from the ios7 conference to buy an iPhone off a buddy when my blackberry broke. If not then I'd most likely switch to the 5s as my next phone because of the ecosystem rather than the hw and sw specs.

It was inevitable.

Sent from my Gameboy Color

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I actually dumped my iPhone 5 for a Q10 and now I'm typing this on a Samsung galaxy S4 :) still have another one of my Q's so I may be keeping it as a back up. As for the iPhone it's been long gone. perhaps I'll pick one up when my upgrade comes in a few months but as of right now I like where I'm at.

Sent from where the wild things are.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Who is jumping ship from BlackBerry or Android TO Apple now with today's Anno...

I'm not sure why anyone would stay with Blackberry at this point. It's like riding a casket into a grave.

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Npunk, 100% Agree it is easy to use which is why so many flock to it and because its seen also fashionable. It doesn't suit all, particularly the little tinkers out there, I was looking at the Blackberry as they have a nice build too, waiting for the OS to mature a bit same with windows but they are doing good stuff for how long they have been in the touch screen game.

"Which is why so many FLOCK to it"? Seriously, why do people mention one simple thing about iDevice and make that the overall reason why Apple outsells just about all of other devices? Yes, iOS is incredibly easy to use even with plethora of features added on over the life I owned an iPhone - this is something that other manufacturers are struggling to do to this day. BUT there are so, so, so much more core reasons why people are "flocking" (like sheep, right?) to iOS. How about apple store and real face to face support on demand, how about +95% updated devices virtually instantly, how about design (regardless for lack of gigantic screen sizes) people still buy it. And I can put money on the fact that i5S/C will outsell its predecessor and all other brands low and high (obviously where iPhones are sold). Regarding the keyboard, why do android/bb/etc users act like iOS keyboard is just like the crappy one that comes stock on their devices? I mean, you guys pay extra money to correct this issue, for crying out loud. You do realize that the keyboard has predictive, habit learning, can be programmed to fill in a paragraph with a few letter input, and support for all those features in other languages (it corrects my spelling while typing in Russian for example).

Your attempts to make iOS or I devices insignificant by your choice of words is pitiful at best. Good luck.

mjs416

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I always follow the news on Android phones too, reading about the newest functions, features and releases, but i have no intention of buying any of the devices really, just not my thing, and I don't go to the other forums to tell them about it, lol...but here's the thing, the items you listed in your post are things you weren't going to see on the iPhone release today...you know it, and I know it...the WORLD knows it. And here's the kicker...your post history shows you're quick to jump to the defense of your precious Android devices...on an iPhone forum.

Trust me, there wasn't much "assuming" about it...you spell it out clearly with your posts, and it just seems funny that instead of listing off what you weren't thrilled about with the iPhone announcement today, you listed a bunch of Android features you love and said "I'm sticking with Android"...I guess i was just mainly thanking you for pointing out the obvious, lol.

Thanks.

Posters like you are why these forums suck and why no one who is not an Apple fanboy posts on them anymore. Argue with people why their opinion is not valid? Seriously? Thanks. But no thanks.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
As many know I said I said I wouldn't upgrade to the the 5S but......

The M7 can track when you are driving or walking and adjusts Apple or Google maps(when Google updates it to take advantage of it) to either mode. Plus you've got it knowing when you are sleeping so it pings the network a whole lot less. The dual flash with the software can produce over 1000 colour and intensity levels. Plus you have basically an 8 ultra pixel camera with HD Slo Mo video and normal video recorded at 120FPS.slo mo is at 60 FPS. The die size and the nm process is smaller therefore it is more efficient and the battery capacity has gotten a slight boost. On top of all that the GPU takes full advantage of the 64 bit computing opportunity a d graphics really look stunning.

Fingerprint scanner is sorta gimmicky right now but it has huge potential.

Yeah if I have to I will sell both my iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 to finance the 5S.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
"Which is why so many FLOCK to it"? Seriously, why do people mention one simple thing about iDevice and make that the overall reason why Apple outsells just about all of other devices? Yes, iOS is incredibly easy to use even with plethora of features added on over the life I owned an iPhone - this is something that other manufacturers are struggling to do to this day. BUT there are so, so, so much more core reasons why people are "flocking" (like sheep, right?) to iOS. How about apple store and real face to face support on demand, how about +95% updated devices virtually instantly, how about design (regardless for lack of gigantic screen sizes) people still buy it. And I can put money on the fact that i5S/C will outsell its predecessor and all other brands low and high (obviously where iPhones are sold). Regarding the keyboard, why do android/bb/etc users act like iOS keyboard is just like the crappy one that comes stock on their devices? I mean, you guys pay extra money to correct this issue, for crying out loud. You do realize that the keyboard has predictive, habit learning, can be programmed to fill in a paragraph with a few letter input, and support for all those features in other languages (it corrects my spelling while typing in Russian for example).

Your attempts to make iOS or I devices insignificant by your choice of words is pitiful at best. Good luck.

I know Fairclough he wasn't bashing Apple or Apple users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Innovation isn't the same as gimmicks/specs. Innovation is adding something no one else has used, or changing the direction of the entire industry.

Apple do set their stall out as the major innovator in mobile phones and with the creation of the all touch screen, that was true. Also the highly intuitive software was innovative. Siri is good too, but the degree of innovation could fairly be said to be slipping. You can't blame folks for pointing out that Apple are no longer as innovative as they claim... A finger print scanner isn't innovation as it has been done elsewhere. A 64bit chip could be, but it isn't [to me at least] as glaringly innovative as touch screen was and will take time for it to show its glory.

spiff_p239

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who is jumping ship from BlackBerry or Android TO Apple now with today's Anno...

While I like what they showed with iOS7, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I will leave my Moto X behind. The funny thing is that what might stop me is the ergonomics of the phone and the home button. I really don't like all of the right angles on the phone and wish that they had gone to a capacitive home button. My Moto X feels much better in the hand and fits a much larger screen into a device that is roughly the same size as the iPhone 5/5s. I just really hate how Android can't really handle my Outlook.com e-mail addresses very well. Despite the small amount of disappointment I have regarding the iPhone 5s (we all knew what to expect as it is more of an update this year, let's be realistic), I'm about 60% in favor of picking one up.

PJLips

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Who is jumping ship from BlackBerry or Android TO Apple now with today's Anno...

I'm staying with BlackBerry. I'm using a Z10 right now.

I'm not trying to bash Apple here (I've had both the iPhone 4 and 4S), but their latest products haven't wowed me, and there are features missing that I do have on my BlackBerry. I really like the Hub, the blinking LED when I have a new notification, the browser supports Flash, there is a file manager, support for SD cards, true multitasking (I love being able to play a YouTube music video, minimising the player and continuing to work on my phone without the music stopping), and ofcourse that glorious keyboard.

I'm not a big app user, so the ecosystem isn't very important to me. All the apps I need are available on my Z10 (including a sideloaded Instagram app).

I'm aware of BBRY's predicament, and if BlackBerry were to go bust, I'd switch to Windows Phone permanently, I'm already using a HTC 8X as my backup Phone.

npunk42

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure why anyone would stay with Blackberry at this point. It's like riding a casket into a grave.
Why? It works well. Im self employed, I conduct most of my business on my Blackberry. To paraphrase The Grateful Dead, I may be going to my grave with a Blackberry, but at least Im enjoying the ride, babe, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Anyway I didn't come here to spar over phones. For the benefit of my parents, I'll peruse these forums and pass along any interesting insights.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Posters like you are why these forums suck and why no one who is not an Apple fanboy posts on them anymore. Argue with people why their opinion is not valid? Seriously? Thanks. But no thanks.

I never said his opinion was invalid...and there's plenty of people who regularly post on this forum who are far from Apple fanboy's.

Don't let the door hit ya, as they say.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
First Sean, He has a valid point. Similar to those who are locked into the Apple Ecosystem with Macbook Pro's, Ipads, Iphone etc, it is far easier for them to buy another Iphone and sync it all up with their current system than to download additional apps and a lot of twinkling to get it set up efficiently. It is understandable how he loves how the system is all integrated with all the Google services, after all it is one of the largest service providers and it just creates a simple integration. Secondly there is nothing wrong with a predictive keyboard, personally I am not a fan of swiftkey or anything similar, I prefer the stock nexus keyboard but that is my choice. I never got the hang of the iphone keyboard or its simplicity.

I wasn't ever questioning his points...he does have a valid point, and one I fully agree with...when you're invested into an eco-system, it makes it very tough to leave said system for a brand new one that you're not as invested in (if at all). I also never said anything negative about the keyboard...I personally don't care for it, but if that's what he likes, that's what he likes. And of course it's understandable that he prefers google integration...it's a very useful set of tools (thankfully, the iPhone has some integration, which makes life easier as well).

You kind of COMPLETELY missed the point of my post...but I'll clarify it for you...I pointed out that based on his historic posts, and the options he said he prioritized high enough to list off on here, that he had no intention of moving over to the iPhone, and was simply pointing out his staying where he was just to do so...a "captain obvious" moment if you will. I respect his preference...we all have them, no one's better than the other. The thread was not directed towards a person like him...it'd be like me going to the counter at Taco Bell and when asked what I would like, saying "I have a plate of spaghetti from across the street, I like pasta and prefer things like meat sauce and garlic."

Some people prefer a device which allows great customisation to some extend, people have different views. As you can tell Neonworm prefers customising his phone to the experience he wants, you have to respect that. Jumping down his throat on the issue just causes more conflict between the OS crows.

Again, the warrants on what he prefers on his Android phone were never questioned, and yes, I fully understand that people prefer different things...and do respect such. I never jumped down his throat about his preferences, in fact, I never jumped down his throat at all...I simply pointed out an observation about his response to this specific thread.

Where did this thread ask anyone to point out what they like about other smart phones or operating systems? From what I read above, it asked who was jumping ship to the new iPhone from another device. My initial comment was civil, and it was truthful, because it was plainly obvious that the guy wasn't going to be jumping sides regardless of what was shown, unless of course for some reason Apple released the Galaxy S 4 with an Apple logo on the back, in which case, I would have been wrong (lol).

In my own opinion, I view the iPhones are greatly overpriced for what they are. Over here I cannot justify spending $1000 on a phone which has the same specs and features for the most part as a $300 Nexus. That is my opinion and I am sure most will disagree. I think it is fair that you will have to respect others opinions, android has their postives and it is why they have a 70% market share besides catering for the lower and upper segments of the market.

I have full respect of other people's opinions...when they are presented in the right place. I have no problem with this guy's opinion in this thread, but also felt it was kind of obvious, so i pointed it out. To retort to the last part of your post though...Android controls 70% of the market because they have the Android OS on more phones than anyone would care to count...when you start comparing specific brackets of phones (mainly top end since that is where the iPhone competes), the story because vastly different.

uzmarvel

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

I wanted to buy iphone for my wife but she fell in love with BB z10. Me myself love how BB is business oriented. Whenever I need apps that are not available I just convert from android and that's it.

After seeing iPhone 5S today my wife said only meh, I have many friends that use iphone though (for it's camera and elegant look).

cgr1971

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site

I have 2 z10's, 1 work and 1 personal. I like the size better. It gets better reception than my iPhone 5 did. Has better call quality. It interacts much better with my bluetooth headset. It's much easier to type on for me. I don't really use apps, just talk, /text/whatsapp/BBM, surf the web, and it can be used as a wifi hotspot without paying extra and I plan on getting a iPad Mini to surf on instead of my phone.

Having said that, you are correct, it feels like I'm on a sled ride down a steep hill.

I'm currently looking for an iPhone 5 still running iOS 6.1.2 so I can Jailbreak it and use it as a hotspot. I will give the 5 a second try as my personal phone. From talking to others, the call quality and bluetooth issues may have been just my phone. Everyone I talk to says the 5's are very clear. When using my bluetooth headset, everyone said I sounded like I was in a tunnel.

jerseykirby

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

My daughter was amazed at the new colors of the 5c so I will be getting one for her and selling her S3, I may pick up a 5S for myself and drop my HTC One just to switch back and forth. I like Apple, I enjoy my iPad and the real issue is I am a tech junkie and just want to have them all haha. My "needs/wants" differ from day to day so I tend to change a lot as is. It wasn't a wow moment, I expected a lot of what was presented to us yesterday but still these are very dependable devices and they do meet my daily needs so I will be intrigued to pick one up.