5S -- Will it have simultaneous voice and data with Verizon?

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Just wondered if anyone knew whether or not you could be on the phone and the internet at the same time...

I have Verizon as a carrier -- and for some reason when I switched to iPhone last year from Motorola Droid -- I lost the ability to do both...

I've REALLY MISSED not being able to do both and FREQUENTLY have to hang up, check something, then call back whomever I'm speaking with...

THANKS!!!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Not until Verizon deploys Voice over LTE - which may be sometime in 2014... until then - the only way to talk & surf on Verizon is to be on wifi for data because the phones only have the capability to have data via LTE or 3G/CDMA or voice - not both simultaneously.

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Keith for the SUPERFAST response...

Did the Motorola Droid worked because it was 4g and not lte???

Also -- when/if Verizon DOES allow both over LTE -- is that something that will automatically work even with my current iPhone 5???

Or would I need a software upgrade or a hardware upgrade???

Thanks again...

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Not until Verizon deploys Voice over LTE - which may be sometime in 2014... until then - the only way to talk & surf on Verizon is to be on wifi for data because the phones only have the capability to have data via LTE or 3G/CDMA or voice - not both simultaneously.

Partially true. While not available over 3G, phones such as S3, S4, HTC One, Note series, etc. have the ability, on Verizon, over LTE. As far as I know the iPhone is the only LTE capable device that cannot use voice over LTE.

Edit: unless you were referring only to iPhones to begin with.

Edit again: Keith expanded on this.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
At least on Verizon - 4G and LTE are the same thing... some Verizon devices have essentially two radios in them - one LTE for data, and another for CDMA voice + EVDO/3G data and could do voice & data at the same time... and some devices have radios that can do CDMA voice & EVDO/3G data at the same time... Apple decided that battery performance was more important than having two radios & antennae... and most long-time verizon customers that truly needed simultaneous voice & data while mobile were aware of CDMA's limitations and had a solution for mobile data that didn't involve their phones... like netbooks in the past, or data cards for laptops... and more recently - iPads, or other tablets.

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again for such a QUICK response...

I was aware of the limitation when I bought the iPhone last year -- but was hoping that it would change sooner rather than later since I travel 25-28 days per month...

I really don't have an alternative internet source, since I'm grand fathered in on the "unlimited" data for the phone only -- so -- I guess I'll just deal with it, until another phone comes out -- or Verizon fixes the problem...

EVEN WITH this limitation -- the iPhone is SO MUCH BETTER than the old Motorola Droid that I had -- even with improvements to Android, I don't want to go back...

Thanks again...

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
My prior Droid DNA and Galaxy Nexus allowed for talk and data simultaneously on vzw. My friends Blackberry Z10 also works on vzw. My iPhone 5 does not.

Jay2pt0

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Just want to add one more thing. Originally the iPhone 5 on Sprint and Verizon do have 2 radios. This allows you to switch or use it in a 3G only area. The problem was the antennas, there's just one. I know this to be true that most android phones that do this employ multiple antennas to do so. And on Sprint they are actually using SVDO which is CDMA rev B. This allows talk and surf on 3G. As you see the new 5c and 5s do support rev B in the CDMA model so there's hope.

Jay2pt0

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ignore the end of the last post. Did some fact checking. rev B is just more efficient 3G speeds and performance, which is good, but has nothing to do with your question. Its the SVDO that is the key and it doesn't seem Apple is using that or multiple antennas so best guess before trying is a very disappointing (and I have Sprint so it's VERY disappointing) no.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
iPhones have one radio and multiple antennae and can only use one antenna at a time... that's why there's no talk & surf over cellular.

Tre

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
This is why AT&T has a huge advantage still in my mind... not sure why anyone would even consider Verizon.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This is why AT&T has a huge advantage still in my mind... not sure why anyone would even consider Verizon.
AT&T has next to NO SERVICE where I live. Verizon has LTE. Is that a good enough reason to consider Verizon??

jtlundy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm with AT&T and due to the frequencies that are used in GSM, I cannot get reliable cell reception inside of my mostly metal and brick building (outside is fine). So here I am with the quandary of choosing between no voice while at work (I can take phone calls if I need to) or no data while on speaker phone. I think I can count the number of times on one hand when I've needed to use voice and data at the same time. So, unless the pricing due to corporate discounts works out much better in favor for ATT, I'm seriously considering jumping ship to VZW. I'm an Apple customer, we're used to making a few sacrifices here and there for the overall experience, right? I'm still too invested in apps to jump platforms yet though regardless of carrier.

jridgers

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

I had AT&T for many years and loved the service. I had dropped calls every once and awhile but nothing crazy. After I got married and we consolidated our accounts we decided to both be on Verizon. That's when I noticed a distinct improvement in reception and call quality on Verizon's network. I've never once had a dropped call on Verizon and people say they cannot tell I'm calling from my cell phone on Verizon and they did with AT&T (independent of the device I was using at the time). But different geographical areas are going to have different results.

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I know I'm in an unusual circumstance where I travel ALL THE TIME -- and run my company from the road -- I use between 60 - 90 Gigs per month in data -- so "unlimited" is a NECESSITY...

UNFORTUNATELY, Verizon is the ONLY carrier prevalent enough in the parts of the country I travel...

Regarding VoLTE -- will this make ALL plans unlimited???

Or will it do the OPPOSITE -- ELIMINATING those of us grandfathered in???

ALSO -- in THEORY -- will the iPhone5 (original) be able to accomplish voice/data at the same time???

DJBoxBaba

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
This is very much an Apple/iPhone issue now. Case in point: GS3, GS4, Note 2, Note 3, G2, HTC One, and even the thunderbolt can do simultaneous voice and data over LTE.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This is very much an Apple/iPhone issue now. Case in point: GS3, GS4, Note 2, Note 3, G2, HTC One, and even the thunderbolt can do simultaneous voice and data over LTE.
Except the voice isn't over LTE. It's over CDMA. And the data is over LTE. And those devices have two radios & antennae that the iPhone does not - by conscious choice by Apple to go with design considerations favoring device thinness & battery life over simultaneous voice & data - a limitation that intelligent users are able to work-around and get the performance and end user experience they desire.

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Your post sounds like you are challenging my intelligence -- lol...

I'll take it in stride -- especially since you know WAY MORE about cell phones than I do... ;)

However, I find myself in the predicament I'm in through circumstances beyond my control and my limited foresight regarding cell phone company gouging tactics...

I actually USED to have an "unlimited" mi-fi with Verizon -- but cancelled it when the Droid Razr2 accomplished BOTH purposes -- THAN, Verizon CHANGED their policies...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro