I completely misjudged the purpose of the iphone 5C

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am so miffed right now. Now only by my complete lack of interest in the 5S, but in the purpose of the 5C. I thought the reason behind the 5C was to produce a dramatically lower cost iphone to enter into emergining markets and take on the cheaper android handsets. All they seemingly have done is take an iphone 5, that they already had all of the manufacturing in place for, and move to a polycarbonate shell. They lowered the price a whopping $100. At $549 retail, that is still too expensive to tackle the markets I thought they were gearing towards.

I don't know. I don't make billions of dollars so who am I to question Apple's tactics. But given what they made known today....I would think just leaving the iphone 5, which its premium materials, at the price point of the '5C' would have been a better option.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I am so miffed right now. Now only by my complete lack of interest in the 5S, but in the purpose of the 5C. I thought the reason behind the 5C was to produce a dramatically lower cost iphone to enter into emergining markets and take on the cheaper android handsets. All they seemingly have done is take an iphone 5, that they already had all of the manufacturing in place for, and move to a polycarbonate shell. They lowered the price a whopping $100. At $549 retail, that is still too expensive to tackle the markets I thought they were gearing towards.

I don't know. I don't make billions of dollars so who am I to question Apple's tactics. But given what they made known today....I would think just leaving the iphone 5, which its premium materials, at the price point of the '5C' would have been a better option.

Agreed I think the 5C should have been even $100-$200 cheaper than they are now unlocked.

Especially for the amount of storage.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit that I was and still am blown away at the full retail pricing of the 5C. I thought it would be a little lower....

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I didn't see it being free in the US. I figured 99 on contract. Retail wise it had to be 450 or more with the subsidy. This was actually easy to predict.

However, this won't be the case in some other countries. It will be priced lower.

c_elliott83

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I think its a waste. Should've kept the 5 and just released the 5s. Most people buy cases anyway, so they market a colorful phone for the handful that doesn't want to protect the investment. Also why keep the 4s and lower the gb?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I think Apple will price it accordingly out of the US. US markets are predominately contract based unlike outside the US where no contract is the norm.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

So get an Android, and we'll see you back after you get miffed with that...

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
i guess iPhone 5c is not for developing nations. Its the way by which apple can make more profits than it could make on the iPhone 5 selling at the same price.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
i guess iPhone 5c is not for developing nations. Its the way by which apple can make more profits than it could make on the iPhone 5 selling at the same price.

Just think of this way. We'll be subsidizing those developing nations. It's kinda like Obamacare. And Apple is going to sell some 5C's. I'd be surprised if it didn't outsell the 5S.

seemaboss

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I think Apple will price it accordingly out of the US. US markets are predominately contract based unlike outside the US where no contract is the norm.

thats not true at all..the iphone 5 is sold in my country at a price of 750$ + for 16 gb... so its more outside. ..

Fidel Mercado

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I think they wanted to use the the iphone 5 chassis exclusively for the 5s, so they recycled the inner hardware from the the 5 to the 5c, slapped a plastic cover on it, preinstall it with iOS7, and market it as something cheaper. The reality is that its an iphone 5 with a plastic cover, its a continuation of the iphone 5 with a different chassis. A bit of a frugal move IMO.

anon(7808135)

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I think it might sell well in other countries, but for 100 dollars cheaper than the 5, its not really worth it. I would rather just get the Iphone 5s that has more to it. The 5c isn't to much of an upgrade when you look at the specs.

bitshifter1001

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

This just goes to show, that we all read too many rumors and analysts predictions. Apple never said they were going to create a cheap iPhone. We also don't know how well the current lineup of iPhones are going to sell in China and other emerging markets. Only time will tell. :)

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info

I think that was the rumored purpose of the 5C, but it appears that it was totally misreported.

It's obvious that Apple's strategy has not changed at all. It has always been to drop the previous 2 year's models by $100 and $200 respectively and this year is no different except that they put the iPhone 5 in a new color shell and spec bumped the facetime camera.

The purpose of the 5C is still to target more budget conscious people (that see $100 less as a savings) exactly as the iPhone 5 would have been if they had kept it instead of making the 5C. Perhaps Apple figured out that a majority of those "last year's $99 models" were going to teens and wanted to better appeal to that market.

The purpose of the 5C isn't what any of us thought it would be. This is the problem with putting so much stock in what analysts and rumors say.

Now, I think we can all agree that Apple probably should or could benefit from having say a $350 iPhone (off contract) if for no other reason that to slow the growth of Android sales. And we all wish Apple would do it. But Apple isn't and they apparently have no plans to yet.

The idea of a low cost iPhone (once called an iPhone mini) is not a new concept and has never come true.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
At first I thought...blah. Then I remembered how much I loved my red Palm Centro. Same concept. I've outgrown the colored plastic, but I'm sure there's still a huge market out there.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Most people get a case anyways. Which are some many colors to count.

If gives the user the choice if having something personal. Still with the solid iOS feature set.

Some may not like them. I don't. But that does not mean that Apple made the wrong choices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro