Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By the_stig#WN
  • 4 Post By Karenkcoulter
  • 1 Post By Irish Rose
  • 1 Post By Irish Rose
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,152 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Default So where's the 5-inch iPhone?: Via iMore Blog

So where's the 5-inch iPhone?

So it is obvious to me that Rene Richie took his time and a good amount of research on what he put into this article and after reading the entire article I was quite impressed at how he broke down 6-7 sub articles in one on what all this means by just simply why or why not Apple is or is not going to make a new iPhone to be announced Sept. 10th in terms of screen size. I think we all pretty well know what the phone itself will include other than the new iOS 7. Either way this a must read IMO so jump on over and form your own opinion and leave your own comments on what you think.

So where's the 5-inch iPhone? | iMore
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,072 Global Posts

Default Re: So where's the 5-inch iPhone?: Via iMore Blog

Good read.

I'm sure there is a bigger iPhone floating around in some lab. I'm sure at some point they will bridge the gap between 4 inches on the iPhone 5s and the 7.9 inch iPad Mini.

When this will be, is anyone's guess. But I can tell you this, if it's not with the 2014 iPhone, people are going to flip. No one is expecting a bigger iPhone this year (no leaks to go on). But I think that by next year, people will expect the option of a bigger iPhone.
    ladyc0524 likes this.

Global Posts
    7,021 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Maybe it's because I have both an iPad and iPhone, but I can never understand why people want a bigger phone. I have average size female hands and much higher wouldn't allow for easy use one handed. I guess a bigger phone would be better for video but I never use my phone for that except for brief YouTube clips. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to have options I just wouldn't want them taking away the current size option or making the current size "inferior" by not giving it the latest and greatest processor, memory, optics, etc.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

In my opinion the current screen size of the iPhone 5 is fine. I view most web content in landscape mode anyway. IF the iPhone does end up with a larger screen it won't happen till next year at the earliest....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.
    lovemyspanish likes this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,152 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

I believe the same as Rose but it will be interesting to see. I just see a new processor and a few more Hardware tweaks of course with the new OS.. Maybe next year on a bigger phone although the blog as a good article the the Apple board is pushing Tim Cook to develop products at a faster rate so it is going to be an interesting Sept. 10th.
    ~JAG~

iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,168 Global Posts

It is a good article with many well thought out responses making the case for the current and larger screen sizes.

Having used the Galaxy S3, and Note 2, iPhone 5, and now back to the 4S - I think the optimal screen size is somewhere in the 4-5" range. My last phone was the Note 2, so I'm struggling somewhat adjusting back to the smaller screen given aging eyes.

But, I'm holding out for the 5S as in my view the ecosystem, product quality, longevity, and support are overall great.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I wouldn't mind keeping the same and next year releasing a larger one I would also like for them to get on w schedule of a spring and fall iPhone release I'm just saying

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk 4
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Bigger is sometimes better, being a male it fits my hands perfectly, even with single hand use. Going to a larger screen will have to take some getting use to.
    If your a female or minor it would make it even harder, on the other hand millions use androids with large screens.

I'm comfortable with the size now
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

When iphone finally does a bigger screen I might come back,,,,,, been doing the Galaxy thing ever since I jumped the Apple ship (main reason was I wanted a bigger than 4" display) the 5" display on the GS4 is amazing to say the least for everything from texting to web browsing to watching YouTube video's.

When I play with friends iPhones these days I'm just stunned at how small the 4" screen is now,,,,, I love my iPads (and the Android tablets I have),,,,,,, but when it comes to a phone Apple really needs to offer more than a one size fits all.

I'll keep hoping for a 4.5 to 5" screen size,,,,,,,, someday it might happen,,,, but until then I will stick with Android.

Cheers
    Davyo
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,197 Global Posts

Some of us want a bigger screen because we are visually challenged. AKA we are older and cant see the small screens anymore.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts

Buy glasses
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    Buy glasses
    Unfortunately even with glasses a smaller screen is a challenge. Wish glasses solved it.

Global Posts
    7,021 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by CSI Guy View Post
    Some of us want a bigger screen because we are visually challenged. AKA we are older and cant see the small screens anymore.
    iOS 7 will have a nice accessibility setting for dynamic type size (in apps that choose to support it) where you set a text size in the settings and it changes in all apps.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,170 Global Posts

Buy glasses
    There's one in every crowd.
    As for me and my house we serve the Lord.
    Thanked by:
    Balooz (08-27-2013)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Buy glasses
    One should not have to buy glasses to read the text on a phone. Offering the ability to change the font will work just fine.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts

In the iOS 7 there is indeed a font size settings. It should be enough for those of us that are sight impaired.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts

I'd love a bigger iPhone. There are moments where a bigger iPhone would be better than an iPad. I think it would be great to have two premium phones in the lineup. One 4" (current) size and a 5" size. That way users who want the smaller screen could still have a premium device in a size they can hold.

Quote Originally Posted by deadp1xel View Post
    I'd love a bigger iPhone. There are moments where a bigger iPhone would be better than an iPad. I think it would be great to have two premium phones in the lineup. One 4" (current) size and a 5" size. That way users who want the smaller screen could still have a premium device in a size they can hold.
    I'm one that really likes the size of my iPhone 5, it just works for me and I wear glasses. But I also believe there's nothing wrong with choice.
    Taz323

Community Rules & Guidelines
    App and Developer Rules & Guidelines
    Marketplace Rules & Guidelines
    iMore Nanite

I think 4 inches is ok. I want a few things by 2014. I want 4k resolution, closer to 5 inch screen and i-wallet!! I want my iPhone to be pro-gamer that you can play ps4 quality games on it like you can on ps Vita.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 B4

Its in your head, where it belongs

Global Posts
    22,275 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So where's the 5-inch iPhone? It's probably in the "if-push-comes-to-shove, we'll-make-one" file cabinet.....
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Just to retort to those saying it needs to be bigger because of the sight impaired...my dad can't see for sh*t, but uses his iPhone and iPad perfectly with no complaints about the size of things on the screen (including texts)...in fact, after moving to the iPhone, he text messages SO much more than he did before.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,152 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

That is pretty cool and if a 5 inch screen came the next thing is going to be when the next size and so on. This phone works for me.
    ~JAG~

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

I personally like the size, maybe a tad wider would be nice but not by much. Call me crazy but when I am out I actually like to enjoy what I am doing and who I am with instead of being on the internet/watching videos/playing games/ect. If I need to look something up the 4" is plenty big enough and if I really wanted more screen size wherever I am that is where my LTE mini could come in handy. Save the internet browsing and whatnot for when you're at home and have access to computers and/or smart tv's. I think my absolute max would be around 5" for a screen size on a phone, the Samsung Note series is honestly one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.... buy an iPad or tablet at that point!
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

iPhone 6 64gb space grey . iPad air 64gb LTE silver . iPad mini 16gb LTE black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts

After coming to the iPhone 5 from the galaxy nexus, I appreciate the size and form factor of the iPhone. The nexus got too big after awhile.