Resale Pricing of older device at Launch

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I used a loophole to get an iPhone 5 with unlimited LTE data on Verizon. I insist on keeping unlimited data so I think the easiest way to swallow full retail price on the new 5s is to sell my iPhone 5 as close to launch as possible when resale values are still relatively good. This will be my first iPhone upgrade so I am curious what happens to resale values when a new iPhone is announced and launched. I fear the iPhone 5 will plunge in value which will make the upgrade cost more painful. Can anyone share their experience doing this with prior versions of the iPhone?

FYI - It is my intention to sell on eBay. My iPhone 5 is in mint condition. It has always been in a case and with a high quality screen protector. The phone is perfect with no scratches, dents or dings. Additionally, I will ship in the original box and include all factory documents, and never used headphones and charger. The phone is technically used but will hopefully feel like a new phone experience for my buyer. Hopefully I am able to fetch top dollar when my iPhone 5 sells.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Resale Pricing At Launch

The price that the iPhone 5 is currently going for will definitely go down once the new iPhone is released. However, the iPhones do tend to hold their value pretty well. Therefore depending on what GB model you have, you should be able to get a good amount for it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

For resale, getting your phone unlocked can raise its value significantly. Would probably only cost you 30-50 dollars at most, and maybe not even that much.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

There's no doubt the price of the iPhone 5 will drop at launch of the new iPhone. However, these phones hold value well. You should be ok.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I checked with a reputable place like Gazelle and for a perfect 4S I can get $200.00 for my 4S 16GB so if the new phone I presume for the same size is the same price I break even, By a new case unless same size as the 5 and Applecare+. I think i have it pretty well worked out on what I am going to do.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I checked with a reputable place like Gazelle and for a perfect 4S I can get $200.00 for my 4S 16GB so if the new phone I presume for the same size is the same price I break even, By a new case unless same size as the 5 and Applecare+. I think i have it pretty well worked out on what I am going to do.

winner, winner, chicken dinner.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you should be able to get 500+ still.

I sold the original iPhone back in the day to get the 3G for $500 really close to launch day so you should be fine.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Love this thread!! I do this every year and always come out ahead. I always do an international sale. I usually get $75-100 more on ebay. I always get the largest capacity just for the resale. I also am on VZW and plan to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

So The Verizon iP5 is already unlocked ?
If so I wish I would have know this before I bought a Jank Rogers wireless prepaid.

Yeah verizon comes unlocked already I don't know if it's internationally but it comes unlocked already.

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Well I noticed that Gazelle is offering $325 for my 32 GB Verizon iPhone so I signed up for the offer. I have until October 10 to ship my old iPhone to Gazelle. Assuming the release date of the 5S is on September 20, then that should give me a couple weeks to ship the phone. As I understand it I am not obligated to ship my phone to Gazelle so I think I will first try a 3 day auction on eBay to see if I can get more cash, but it is nice to know that I have a decent price lock through Gazelle.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
eBay will always pay more than gazelle .. Where do you think gazelle sells the phones they buy .. Lol
Last year although I used a upgrade I pre ordered my new iPhone 5 and listed my 4s while and set the auction to end on the iPhone 5 launch day .. Auction ended and I swapped phones wiped the 4s and put in the mail .. I got like 400 it was a 16gb .. So you should be fine your out of pocket about be real close to a upgrade price ..

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Gazelle offered me $315 for my iPhone 5 16gb. I have ATT. I might try eBay first.

Not bad. They are only offering me $350 for my unlocked 64GB iPhone 5. They gave me a lot more than that last year when I sold my 4S to them.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Gazelle is only offering my iPhone 5 64gig for 230.00 ?!.... Sigh . Sprint.

They offered me $350 for the same model, only mine is AT&T unlocked. Weird how they aren't paying out the same for the Sprint iPhone 5.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Not bad. They are only offering me $350 for my unlocked 64GB iPhone 5. They gave me a lot more than that last year when I sold my 4S to them.

That would be like 500 on eBay

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I just sold my iPhone 5 (64GB) on Amazon for $630. I sold my 4S last year for $440 right after the iPhone 5 was announced.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods