iPhone Name Change Rumor: What if?

Solamar

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It was reported on Cult of Mac today that the iPhone number scheme might be out the window.. Not sure if true.. but.. what if? What could they do.. I was thinking, and wondered..

I would not be surprised if they had 2 models.. 4" iPhone and a 4.8" iPhone Pro and just drop the numbers off the name. Now, screen size might not be differentiating factor.. might be like the old 'plastic' macbook and the aluminum macbook pro... Anyway.. you get the idea.

If they did this, wouldn't that kind of set in peoples mind, plastic means cheeper phone(Samsung). Would be an interesting move w/o actually saying a word about Samsung while addressing the number scheme that would seem to need a change.

Just me thinking... my 2 cents anyway..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It was reported on Cult of Mac today that the iPhone number scheme might be out the window.. Not sure if true.. but.. what if? What could they do.. I was thinking, and wondered..
Well, they did experiment with the iPad going from iPad to iPad 2, iPad 3 & then the New iPad. I think that's right...:)..They can do the same with the iPhone.

I would not be surprised if they had 2 models.. 4" iPhone and a 4.8" iPhone Pro and just drop the numbers off the name. Now, screen size might not be differentiating factor.. might be like the old 'plastic' macbook and the aluminum macbook pro... Anyway.. you get the idea.
Yep, & we will know soon enough if they opt for two concurrent models.

If they did this, wouldn't that kind of set in peoples mind, plastic means cheeper phone(Samsung). Would be an interesting move w/o actually saying a word about Samsung while addressing the number scheme that would seem to need a change.
You're assuming the alleged cheaper model would be made of plastic. We don't know what it will be made of if they indeed create a cheaper model.

Just me thinking... my 2 cents anyway..
It's all good, my friend...:)...Great post, by the way.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This was a rumor last year too...and it never happened. I wouldn't be totally surprised by it, considering their movement with the iPad naming, but honestly, I'd take this rumor (again) with a grain of salt. Differentiation is something important in the consumer market...a person wants a device, but if the name indicates that it might be better in some way, history has clearly shown that more money will go that direction.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner