What will the S of the 5S be?

moeyouness

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Well everyone got their iPhone 5 and now some are waiting for the successor that could be called iPhone 5s, what would this S mean this time? In the 3GS I remember that it is for speed and in the 4S for Siri what will it be for the 5S???

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No one can answer that question at this time, but it is safe to assume that if the next iPhone will be called the 5S then we will know what the 'S' will stand for soon enough...:)

moeyouness

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I am not asking for confirmed info I am asking about what people want it to be and if any read rumours about it. Sorry didn't make that clear.

RosscoPeecho

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I personally hope it means "screen" or "size" since I feel like that factor has determined a lot of iOS to Android transfers. Plus just a slightly bigger screen would satisfy a lot of people and could be paired with an iOS update which would be very welcome.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I like the "screen" idea. I personally doubt apple will enlarge the screen again no matter how many rumors I read about it. At least not this time around.....next year I could see it.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I think at this point in the life of iPhone, its possible that the S will just be there due to expectations. 3GS, 4S, then 5S is the logical progression and what people are expecting. Logically, the 5 should have been 6, but because of all the media and public hyping it as the 5, that's what Apple went with. It'll most likely be the same thing here.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
As much I would hope for the S to be screen, more likely it would be just speed and maybe shutter speed. Faster camera? Just an assumption. I hope that it's released end of June early July!!! Oh please.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
If its size then it's not going to mean for the screen size. It's taken Apple a long time to get developers to update their apps to support the 5 they're not going to make a bigger screen to go through the whole process again. It'll be for size of memory onboard (128gb) or for the battery size. lets just hope it's for the battery size.

Sent from my Jailbroken Facebook Machine using Tapatalk 2

Easy-G

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Major proprietary camera upgrade seems to be the trend now. Look at the Lumia 920 and HTC One. Apple has a great camera in the iPhone 5, but it's the same camera from the 4S - a large relative improvement in the camera would be feature-worthy.

But, yea, we would have to name it with an S... Apple have some great wordsmiths and S is a great letter. They could call it the Sight engine or Sex lens or something...

Chase Isley

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
There has been many rumors about a "budget" iPhone. I don't think they would add an S to that. I wonder what they would call it. I personally think it is a bad idea if the rumors are true.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I think they might go with "new iPhone" like they did with the new iPad. I'm hopeful like some other folks that they get to 128 gigs so I can finally put ALL of my music and movies on it. The cloud is certainly nice, but when I'm on a plane I always want to watch the movie I DIDN'T load on the thing. :p I'm also guessing that some new hardware feature will be thrown in, but I don't know if NFC has enough mass appeal to warrant adding it. Rest assured though, if Apple does add it they'll throw in some new software features that make it amazing enough to go mainstream.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully the S is for security. NFC is wide open for a company to come in and dominate if they can figure out a safe way to implement it. Sensors under the home screen, Bluetooth to the iBand for scanning and identification. Going based on hardware, then software cycles, if its not the 5s it'll be two years to get serious NFC security in a 6s. Of course if it stands for security, or even "secure" it better be rock solid. Big painted target.

KaterinaM

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My guess is also secuirity, especially taking into account the latest rumors that US government will buy iPhones for their purposes.