Does the next iPhone REALLY need to be thinner?

Should the next iPhone be thinner than the iPhone 5?

• Yes

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 50 86.2%

• Total voters

anon(1019781)

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I think there's a point where any thinner and your phone is just going to bend easily. I think the iPhone 5 is pretty much as thin as it should ever get. I tried it out and while it was quite a good feat of engineering, I couldn't help but think I could easily snap it in half with my hands if I wanted to. With the iPhone 4 you didn't get this feeling.

And don't you guys want more battery life? If you sacrifice the potential for more battery life in favor of aesthetics, you pretty much do a disservice to the users in favor of a few trendy hipsters.

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Definitely no thinner than the 5. If even be ok with the phones getting a little bit thicker (think 4S) as long as I get better battery life.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if they can realistically go any smaller... Yes anything can happen. But then you lose the reality of holding something that is almost not there.

Battery technology needs to come along and improve for size as well.

Only time will tell

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Thinness is limited by the size of the headphone jack. I know Apple put in a design/patent for a different size headphone jack, but nothing came of it to date.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Not only the headphone jack for size, but is physical button are used, that space has to be accounted for...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Heck, I'm satisfied with the thinness of the 4 & the 4S. I don't want a phone that is "paper thin" and the iPhone 5 is about as thin and, definitely, as light as I'd want the iPhone to be.

Eric808

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe we have about 2 more years until we reach a point where the iPhone hardware will reach it's maturity stage. I see the iPhone getting a little thinner and one more screen size jump. There will be no headphone jack as wireless headphones and wireless speakers are becoming the norm. Once we reach this point the major focus will be the carriers being able to meet the phones capabilities. This is just one of the major problems we face.

We all know Apple will introduce a new UI that will once again capture the hearts of the iOS family. New designers will be tasked with keeping things "fresh" and engineers will continue to raise the bar.

These are my thoughts anyway.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think they should make the screen a little larger maybe make it thicker than the 5 but thinner than 4/4s and including a larger battery.

DivadAB

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree. The thinness should stay the same. Instead, I think apple should focus on the screen to enhance overall user experience. Although the experience is already pretty good on the iPhone, more room and an improved OS interface is what I am anxiously looking forward for this year.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I wish they were the exact size and shape of the second generation iPod touches. Those things were thin and sleek and nice in the hands, if you add the taller screen without actually changing the height, and just utilizing the free space that's already there, I think that would make for a beautiful device.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I wish they were the exact size and shape of the second generation iPod touches. Those things were thin and sleek and nice in the hands, if you add the taller screen without actually changing the height, and just utilizing the free space that's already there, I think that would make for a beautiful device.

Until apple gets rid of the home button you won't see an edge to edge display. If they get rid of that the could make the whole front of e phone the screen and make it around 4.5 or so without changing the overall size of the phone.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
No thinner, please. I like the design and it feels great to hold but at some point utility has to win and that battery needs to get bigger. I'd take a bigger battery and a thicker iPhone with no argument.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Make it thick as a 4S and double the battery life. IMHO the 5 is to thin to use without a case.

I agree, when I take it out of the case I actually worry with how thin it is. Stick a larger battery in keep same size screen( maybe a little larger/wider) and make it no thicker than the 4s and that will be plenty. You don't see people complaining about the 4s being too thick.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen