Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default has the rumored 5s kept you away from upgrading to the 5?

i feel mr cook may be rushing things a bit. for all you 4 and 4s users have you thought about upgrading to the 5 but then realized the 5s may be here in a half a year and you want to sit back and see if it brings a wanted or needed difference?

just curious.

i own a blackberry so i can only update every 2 years when they release new phones.

Global Posts
    19,345 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: has the rumored 5s kept you away from upgrading to the 5?

I am very surprised at the fact that I haven't purchased the iPhone 5 yet. It is so unlike me. Anyway, to answer your question, I hadn't really thought about it before reading your post and now that I have, I will have to agree that the rumors of a possible iPhone 5s being released in Q1 of 2013 will greatly lessen my chances of buying the iPhone 5.

Global Posts
    11,434 Global Posts
    iOS Version

This discussion pops up with ever rumor of a new iPhone coming... the more things change, the more they stay the same...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    DaPhoneking and abaggy like this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

kch i understand but the 5s rumor popped up not even a month after the 5. seemed a little premature. at least give it 6 months...
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I am very surprised at the fact that I haven't purchased the iPhone 5 yet. It is so unlike me. Anyway, to answer your question, I hadn't really thought about it before reading your post and now that I have, I will have to agree that the rumors of a possible iPhone 5s being released in Q1 of 2013 will greatly lessen my chances of buying the iPhone 5.
    i think it may be more q2 of 2013. q1 would seem to androidish. lol

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Not really, I'm holding out for the next iPhone because I can't really see how the 5 will change my use much. I don't have LTE coverage yet and I want to see what Apple does to make the next iPhone stand out from the rest of the smartphone world.
    abaggy likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

I have a 4s and I'm patiently waiting on the 5s.. the S models are the best ones

Tapatalking up in ya
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well. yes & no lol.

Yes - I was interested in the 5. But for now no, because upon upgrading my 4S to iOS6 i'm very content with the way my phone functions, as well as battery life. No complaints what so ever.

Am i interested in what the 5S will be like? Absolutely! I plan on sticking with the iPhone for quite some time in the future unless something just really begins to bore me, OR some other phone that amazes me pulls me away....which as of now, i don't foresee happening.

Also, some of you commented on the 5S being release Q1 or Q2 of 2013. I'd say prob more closer to Q2 (june-july-ish) but again, thats just my opinion.

As far as myself upgrading when its released, i will have to see. My 4S runs great, and if next June/July rolls around, the 5S drops and my 4S is going strong - i prob will still hang onto my upgrade UNLESS the 5S has a whole lot more to offer than my 4S does at that time
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*

Global Posts
    19,345 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Well. yes & no lol.

Yes - I was interested in the 5. But for now no, because upon upgrading my 4S to iOS6 i'm very content with the way my phone functions, as well as battery life. No complaints what so ever.

Am i interested in what the 5S will be like? Absolutely! I plan on sticking with the iPhone for quite some time in the future unless something just really begins to bore me, OR some other phone that amazes me pulls me away....which as of now, i don't foresee happening.

Also, some of you commented on the 5S being release Q1 or Q2 of 2013. I'd say prob more closer to Q2 (june-july-ish) but again, thats just my opinion.

As far as myself upgrading when its released, i will have to see. My 4S runs great, and if next June/July rolls around, the 5S drops and my 4S is going strong - i prob will still hang onto my upgrade UNLESS the 5S has a whole lot more to offer than my 4S does at that time
    You went into greater detail than I did and you are spot-on, my friend. I am so content with my 4S to the point where I currently have no desire to upgrade. I can't explain it and people who know me best can't believe that I haven't gotten the latest device. Hahaha and if I still feel this way when the 5S is released, I suppose I'll have to make a doctor's appointment...
    Thanked by:
    ThePinkChameleon (12-09-2012)
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    kch i understand but the 5s rumor popped up not even a month after the 5. seemed a little premature. at least give it 6 months...
    The funny thing is, thereís always a rumor, and always gonna be a new phone. I have the iPhone 5 and will buy the next one...I got a family that needs phones... Dad (me) gets the new one and it rolls down the line... I canít see myself not buying the next, new phone... so rumors or not, I am not holding off.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,160 Global Posts
    iOS Version

5S wouldn't be a big change. I don't see this rumor holding many back. I hope a 5S comes out this Spring so a 6 comes out in the fall. I would rather have a 6 in the fall than a 5S.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,793 Global Posts

It doesn't matter to me. I own a 5 if and when the 5s drops I will sell the 5 and buy the 5s. I couldn't imagine not owning a 5. My wife has a 4s and you compare the 2 screens the 5 is much better. Same goes for the camera. I didn't really test until we were taking pics of our kids when they visited Santa and couldn't believe the difference between my 5 and her 4s. Especially in Low lighting the 5 is top notch!
    iMore Beginner

Do you think Mr. Cook may be shooting himself in the foot with all of these upgrades? I guess I will wait for 6 lol.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    5S wouldn't be a big change. I don't see this rumor holding many back. I hope a 5S comes out this Spring so a 6 comes out in the fall. I would rather have a 6 in the fall than a 5S.
    Ohh I know it won't be large. It's the apple trend with the reg and s models. But I do know according to people the 4 that I have is commonly referred to as a antique but the 4s is still very well respected.
    That's why I asked if people were waiting since the trend is that the reg model is kind of the beta tester for the s models to be everyone's favorite.

Sent using Tapatalk
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Slammers08 View Post
    It doesn't matter to me. I own a 5 if and when the 5s drops I will sell the 5 and buy the 5s. I couldn't imagine not owning a 5. My wife has a 4s and you compare the 2 screens the 5 is much better. Same goes for the camera. I didn't really test until we were taking pics of our kids when they visited Santa and couldn't believe the difference between my 5 and her 4s. Especially in Low lighting the 5 is top notch!
    I know you will man. That's what you do. Unless bb10 kills it for you. Hana

Sent using Tapatalk
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    The funny thing is, thereís always a rumor, and always gonna be a new phone. I have the iPhone 5 and will buy the next one...I got a family that needs phones... Dad (me) gets the new one and it rolls down the line... I canít see myself not buying the next, new phone... so rumors or not, I am not holding off.
    I understand there will always be a rumor but the other iPhones there was a 1 year span so the current model had a 6 month bake in period where this one barely had 1 month. I've followed tech for a long time and there was always a trend with jobs at the helm but I guess I'll have to restructure my internal calendar to the cook era. Lol

Sent using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    19,345 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by tlbaker1 View Post
    Do you think Mr. Cook may be shooting himself in the foot with all of these upgrades? I guess I will wait for 6 lol.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD
    That depends on his objective. Annual upgrades have served Apple quite well and sales of the device remains strong, in my opinion, so unless he fears that RIM's upcoming Blackberry 10 devices may reverse the current trend of businesses opting for iOS, I don't see the need for Apple to alter its annual release schedule. However, I concede that I don't have any inside information and therefore, what doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

That depends on his objective. Annual upgrades have served Apple quite well and sales of the device remains strong, in my opinion, so unless he fears that RIM's upcoming Blackberry 10 devices may reverse the current trend of businesses opting for iOS, I don't see the need for Apple to alter its annual release schedule. However, I concede that I don't have any inside information and therefore, what doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    i just read an article about a possible 2 new ipads and 2 new iphones per year. again rumor but at this point everything with the up and coming devices are pure speculation.

Global Posts
    19,345 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    i just read an article about a possible 2 new ipads and 2 new iphones per year. again rumor but at this point everything with the up and coming devices are pure speculation.
    We will know soon enough. Anyway, care to post a link to that article?
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

if i find it i will post it. it was a retweet from my twitter feed so ill try
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

found it.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (12-10-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

I couldn't wait but then again I was coming from a Galaxy Gio. The iPhone 5 really did seem like a great upgrade worth paying for. Curious to see what the iPhone 5s is like. Needless to say I will regret purchasing the 5!
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Theory View Post
    Think my iPhone 4 (Verizon) could last another year.

Google Maps just got released so I don't have to worry about no turn-by-turn navigation. Also all my apps/games still run fine.

Hopefully iPhone 5s will see these:
    - A7 chip (quad-core)
    - 10MP iSight camera
    - NFC
    - iOS 7 (revamped UI)

Not sure what else they could add...
    I use a sprint 4 for work. Is seems to do everything the newer ones do but just a bit slower. iOS is ios no matter how you slice it. Yeah with the 5 you get lte and Siri as well as the 4s.

All the core apps are the same either way. The messaging/email/phone portion doesn't change. So I agree sticking with the 4 right now is a pretty good choice until the 5s specs gets released.

Sent using Tapatalk
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I held off just as I signed a new contract and didnt feel like paying the unlocked price once again. I'm hoping the 5S lands as soon as possible. I will be getting it. Or the 6 or whatever the next one is.
    Giraffes are people too.
    Tip the scales... you know you want to.
    15" Retina MBP 2.6GHz / 512GB
    Game Center ID: Brenden
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

I'm still using a 4 and not a 4s. To me, I'm content with it and that is rare. The big thing is I am currently not due for an upgrade yet through Verizon and I also want to keep my unlimited data. I may buy a used 5 later if I see one cheap enough to allow me to keep my data. Other than that I am perfectly content for once in my life and I'll be hanging on to this one for some time.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast