has the rumored 5s kept you away from upgrading to the 5?

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to the iPhone 5 from the 4, and I must say I am very happy, I enjoy the larger screen size, LTE is pretty nice (my home just started picking up LTE a few days ago), the phone is very fast, My love is taking pictures and the camera is very nice. I started my smartphone life with the Thunderbolt, loved the larger screen but the battery life, ouch! I used another account to upgrade to the iPhone 4 after a year, LOVE the phone, but the screen took some getting used to for me. So I must say the iPhone 5 size seems to be perfect for me, it is not a tablet clipped on my belt, and I can see the screen fine. But if these rumors about new phone coming out soon are true, I must say I will be alittle depressed, not because I do not like my phone, but because I feel they will be going the route android went with frequent updates, and that can become really depressing for phone owners. I am sure anyone who has owned an Android phone knows what I mean. What a feeling to walk into Verizon and buy your NEW Thunderbolt for $250 bucks, then days later a new and BETTER phone comes out. Or look at the Razr, wow everyone wanted it, then Motorola comes out with the Maxx in a few weeks.. how does that make them feel. Even the Galaxy SIII now, that was the PHONE to have, but now the HTC DNA is being pushed as the phone to have with better specs.. On android this happens like everyday with every phone you buy! It dosent really feel great when you have a 'cool' phone for a few days, then you have yesterdays phone.. I myself liked the fact that Apple upgraded their phones once a year, I mean for $199 on subsidy or $650 for the phone I feel you should be able to enjoy a newer phone for that year.. Just my opinion :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to the iPhone 5 from the 4, and I must say I am very happy, I enjoy the larger screen size, LTE is pretty nice (my home just started picking up LTE a few days ago), the phone is very fast, My love is taking pictures and the camera is very nice. I started my smartphone life with the Thunderbolt, loved the larger screen but the battery life, ouch! I used another account to upgrade to the iPhone 4 after a year, LOVE the phone, but the screen took some getting used to for me. So I must say the iPhone 5 size seems to be perfect for me, it is not a tablet clipped on my belt, and I can see the screen fine. But if these rumors about new phone coming out soon are true, I must say I will be alittle depressed, not because I do not like my phone, but because I feel they will be going the route android went with frequent updates, and that can become really depressing for phone owners. I am sure anyone who has owned an Android phone knows what I mean. What a feeling to walk into Verizon and buy your NEW Thunderbolt for $250 bucks, then days later a new and BETTER phone comes out. Or look at the Razr, wow everyone wanted it, then Motorola comes out with the Maxx in a few weeks.. how does that make them feel. Even the Galaxy SIII now, that was the PHONE to have, but now the HTC DNA is being pushed as the phone to have with better specs.. On android this happens like everyday with every phone you buy! It dosent really feel great when you have a 'cool' phone for a few days, then you have yesterdays phone.. I myself liked the fact that Apple upgraded their phones once a year, I mean for $199 on subsidy or $650 for the phone I feel you should be able to enjoy a newer phone for that year.. Just my opinion :)

Your statements are spot-on and mirror those of many current iPhone users, myself included. At the same time, we must not forget that anytime we buy something, especially electronics, it becomes immediately outdated and that is why we must choose wisely beforehand, and with the economy the way it is, those words were never truer. From a business standpoint, the flooding of the market seems illogical, but I've learned long ago that what one person considers illogical makes perfect sense to another. I suppose one reason is to force buyers to buy outright instead of on contract to be able to keep up with their desire to always have the latest and greatest, but that doesn't seem to apply to the majority of users who buy on contract because it's easier. I don't know. Anyway, great post. Enjoy the rest of your evening. :)

Last edited:

creedub

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
So after all this chatter about the phone coming out early how does this article make you feel? iPhone 5s targeted for a July launch, iPads coming in October - GSMArena.com news Personally I know I'm buying the new phone whenever it releases. 450 one year 200 the next and then virtually nothing the following two years because I sell the older of the two phones to make up for the ensuing 450 so I end up paying ~100 or less.

Last edited:

JRDroid

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I am elligable for an early iPhone upgrade on AT&T and have a Lumia 900 right now. I was really considering getting an iPhone 5 (got my wife one for Christmas and it is the first iPhone I could see myself liking long term), but I'm elligable for a full upgrade in July. If I paid $450 for an iPhone 5 now and could have gotten a iPhone 5s for $199 by waiting 4 months, I'd be pretty upset. So since my current phone is working well and its rumored for an earlier release of the 5S than later, I'm holding off.

AppleSmart

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I have upgraded my iPhone every time a new one has been released. When the 5 was released, I just couldn't. I no longer have the luxury of just selling my iPhone to get another one (and profiting!). It's the trickle down effect in my household now. If I get a new phone, my old one gets passed down to children. My daughter's i4 was dying a slow death even when I had it. (home button) We just added a line last week and that's when I intended to get the 5. The person the line was intended for ended up getting a 4s as I couldn't swing the price of the 5 for myself.

My daughter's line is upgradeable in March and mine in July. If we can hold out her i4, we're going to do it. The potential for a substantially upgraded camera on the next version is enough to keep me at bay, for the moment. I think I'm of the mind that since I already missed the release of the 5, I might as well just go along for the ride and see where the road goes. My 4s is awesome but the screen size of the 5 still has me salivating.

jkomo001

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to upgrade to the 5 soon, as long as it will get the new os. 5S won't be that much better than 5 I feel like; I think the main thing will be iOS7.

Square85

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade on the 10th through Verizon and I'm upgrading to the 5 from my current 4. If I always wait for the "next big thing," I'll always be waiting. It will still be an upgrade for me no matter what. I also know the 5 will most likely be supported with sofware updates for the next two years as my 4 has been supported for that long. If I remember right, when I first got my 4 I had iOS 4.3 or something.

So I would say get the 5 and know you have updates coming for at least the next 18 months.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the iP4, iP4S and iP5, sold all them. They just didn't seem to hold my attention long enough and I don't feel Apple has put enough into them to justify the price. You get maybe 2 years before your will be fragmented in the iOS world, and yes it is fragmentation when you lose iOS features simply because Apple doesn't think your phone can run it. What I would like to see is major jump in the next iPhone, something that will bring back the golden days of 2007 when Jobs wowed the world with the first iPhone. Make sweeping changes and make it bold.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
There isn't going to be a 128gb iPhone anytime soon

Why do you say that? We never thought the iPad would get it and yet it finally did. Now I would say the iPad mini likely won't see 128GB for a a few years since Apple feels the big iPad 128GB is for corporate use, hate to break it to them, but its worth it for me and I want it as much for corp use as I do for personal use.

Apps are NOT getting any smaller, in fact the multiple resolutions the devs have to support on each iPhone now is requiring more and more space and if their app is universal then they have to account for the big iPad so for me I was using well over 32GB of storage on apps alone, forget the 20GB of music and podcasts I have. I need a device that can carry everything and not be on empty.

Spartan John-117

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to buy the 5S or 6, whichever gets released with iOS7 just so I get full functionality out of the new iOS. Rocking a 4S currently and upgraded from a 4 to it just for Siri so I didn't get another texting ticket...

vanadiumdroid

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I like the 4s very much, and more so than the 5, I don't know why. My best friend has the 5 and its great but using doesn't give the feeling of having less. The 4s gives me the feeling of having a solid work horse.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
5S rumor hasn't kept me from switching carriers (from AT&T to VZW) and with that a fresh new 5... CDMA 1429 version (will be selling the GSM 1428) Although I went contract free... We'll see if the 5S offers a compelling enough reason to get one... If same form factor then I'll probably hold off 'til the iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I like the 4s very much, and more so than the 5, I don't know why. My best friend has the 5 and its great but using doesn't give the feeling of having less. The 4s gives me the feeling of having a solid work horse.

I feel the same way.

The feel of the 4S is absolutely perfect for me. I love it.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Idk when the fiscal quarters are but I was expecting the 5s in September or October & was probably going to upgrade when my 4s contract expires in November. Not really rushed, but You guys think it'll be released earlier?

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I had the iP4, iP4S and iP5, sold all them. They just didn't seem to hold my attention long enough and I don't feel Apple has put enough into them to justify the price. You get maybe 2 years before your will be fragmented in the iOS world, and yes it is fragmentation when you lose iOS features simply because Apple doesn't think your phone can run it. What I would like to see is major jump in the next iPhone, something that will bring back the golden days of 2007 when Jobs wowed the world with the first iPhone. Make sweeping changes and make it bold.

Sure, but what could they do? I don't think there's much they can do.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Idk when the fiscal quarters are but I was expecting the 5s in September or October & was probably going to upgrade when my 4s contract expires in November. Not really rushed, but You guys think it'll be released earlier?

The rumor is summer (June/July??) for the 5S... Who knows... Look what happened with the iPad 4... Like 7 months after the iPad 3...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If you continually wait on new tech releases, you will never buy anything!

I think that if the UI had changed, if there had been the option for themes, or made the phone a touch wider I would have jumped.
The feel of the iPhone5 didn't appeal too much to me. It felt too light and out of balance to me.
Looking forward to what's next, but I do love my 4S.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711