Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,576 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default has the rumored 5s kept you away from upgrading to the 5?

Idk when the fiscal quarters are but I was expecting the 5s in September or October & was probably going to upgrade when my 4s contract expires in November. Not really rushed, but You guys think it'll be released earlier?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,576 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I had the iP4, iP4S and iP5, sold all them. They just didn't seem to hold my attention long enough and I don't feel Apple has put enough into them to justify the price. You get maybe 2 years before your will be fragmented in the iOS world, and yes it is fragmentation when you lose iOS features simply because Apple doesn't think your phone can run it. What I would like to see is major jump in the next iPhone, something that will bring back the golden days of 2007 when Jobs wowed the world with the first iPhone. Make sweeping changes and make it bold.
    Sure, but what could they do? I don't think there's much they can do.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,270 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Patricksmangann View Post
    Idk when the fiscal quarters are but I was expecting the 5s in September or October & was probably going to upgrade when my 4s contract expires in November. Not really rushed, but You guys think it'll be released earlier?
    The rumor is summer (June/July??) for the 5S... Who knows... Look what happened with the iPad 4... Like 7 months after the iPad 3...
    iPhone Intermediate

If you continually wait on new tech releases, you will never buy anything!
    Apple built it, so it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Caesar View Post
    If you continually wait on new tech releases, you will never buy anything!
    I think that if the UI had changed, if there had been the option for themes, or made the phone a touch wider I would have jumped.
    The feel of the iPhone5 didn't appeal too much to me. It felt too light and out of balance to me.
    Looking forward to what's next, but I do love my 4S.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup....
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" ~Socrates
    iMore Beginner

Default Re: has the rumored 5s kept you away from upgrading to the 5?

Keeping the 4S till it dies. I love the design, the look, the weight etc. Not a fan of the 5, too light & seems fragile to me.
    2012 Macbook Pro 13" 2.9 i7
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black
    iPad Mini 32GB White
    Social Network Status: Non-Existent
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

no, the iPhone 12. that's the one i am waiting for
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    5,141 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am actually hoping it announces at WWDC and sells 10 days or so later. My upgrades are in 6 weeks and while I want to migrate over to iOS again now I just can't justify not waiting for the newer phone due out a couple of months later. But will it really be June/July or Sept/Oct? That is the question.
    iPhone Nanite

Yes, I think iPhone 4s is better than iPhone 5, too.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    5,141 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm willing to wait for June/July if its a worthy upgrade on internal specs, as for waiting for the next major revision, I wouldn't wait that is a 18 months or so out. But I can't see using my April upgrade when it will possibly be out in June/July that to me is a waste of an upgrade. Who doesn't want a better processor, better camera, better flash, better battery and having the new one just two months or so later.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by JustinTimber View Post
    Yes, I think iPhone 4s is better than iPhone 5, too.
    i'd like to hear your reasoning behind this, but seeing that you only have 3 posts i doubt you'll even see this
    Slammers08 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    5,141 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Some people like the smaller screen, and the feel of the iPhone 4/4S. Personally I didn't care for the thinness of the iP5 compared to the 4/4S and I certainly don't care for the crappy quality control they have on the current generation of iPhones. If they design it so it can't be built without damaging nearly every case then they designed it poorly.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

I have dabbled with the 5, but didn't notice how light it was until someone mentioned it compaired to the 4s.

Back on topic......August is right around the corner.....I think that I'll just pull the trigger and get the i5.
    iPhone Beginner

Apple has absolutely dropped the ball with regards to the black IP5. You can't market a phone on the basis of it's superior esthetics and then ship out half of them scratched immediately upon unboxing. FAIL.

In addition, I've been shocked at how DIRTY these phones are right out of the box. Lint and dust everywhere on the phone once you open it!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    Some people like the smaller screen, and the feel of the iPhone 4/4S. Personally I didn't care for the thinness of the iP5 compared to the 4/4S and I certainly don't care for the crappy quality control they have on the current generation of iPhones. If they design it so it can't be built without damaging nearly every case then they designed it poorly.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flashhh View Post
    Apple has absolutely dropped the ball with regards to the black IP5. You can't market a phone on the basis of it's superior esthetics and then ship out half of them scratched immediately upon unboxing. FAIL.

In addition, I've been shocked at how DIRTY these phones are right out of the box. Lint and dust everywhere on the phone once you open it!
    Before you get hated on, lol. I agree to extent, the black one regardless of what others will say was prone to being chipped/scuffed out of the box and is a lot easier to scratch on the edges than any other iPhone I've owned.

My black iPhone 5 still looks basically new though. My first one had quite of few scratches on it when I opened it and I refused to use it.

Yes phones in time are going to scratch but I keep my stuff as nice as I can so when I first get my products I expect them to be flawless.

But I think once you get past the initial batch they have seemed to be pretty good.

I still think I like the look of the iPhone 4(s) better or only it was bigger.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

I still love my iPhone 4S, but I will strongly consider a 5S when it comes out. Hopefully Apple addresses the black housing issues, that was one of the main reasons I didn't get one. I am so picky about keeping my devices looking perfect.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I thought they both had the same camera??? Wrong, huh?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    5,141 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well I have officially given up on holding out for the iP5S and will be picking up a new iP5 next week, just sold off my Nexus 7, and Galaxy S3. For me it has more to do with specifc apps that work related from Cisco on iOS and that was the push behind it. Given how easily the black iP5 shows off marks and damge I am for the first time looking at a white iPhone, something I have never considered but I hate how easily the black iP5 shows off any scuffs or scratches.
    iPhone Nanite

I am in the USA, and my two year cell phone contract expiration seems to coincide with the launch of the iPhone "S" series phones, meaning I am still on the iPhone 4S. Previously, I was on a HTC Android phone for two years, which was pure hell. Battery life was nonexistent, and I did not put on any additional apps after quickly learning non-stock apps seemed to quickly compromise the stability of the OS.

I really like the form factor (larger screen but not wider) and noticeably lighter weight of my friends' iPhone 5 phones. I am pretty close to the end of my contract, so an upgrade to the iPhone 5 would run me $350 versus waiting until I am properly eligible and upgrading for just $200. Of course, by the time my contract expires, again, I expect the iPhone 5s to be going on sale,so the $200 upgrade will buy me the newest generation of iPhone (5S) and the iPhone 5 will drop to $100.
    iMore Nanite

I have been on the 'S' cycle and contract limitations has kept me from getting the 5. I know I can full price, but I don't want to, if I have a choice.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

"has the rumored 5s kept you away from upgrading to the 5?"

the rumored 5s is keeping me from buying both the 5 and the 5s to a certain degree. i'm not getting an upgrade til november so it doesn't matter really but point is the rumors around the 5s are unimpressive. Right now it sounds like nothing but a spec bump and the same form factor. I was disappointed that the shell didnt' change last time. I'd be really disappointed if the same thing happened this time. It wouldn't be a deal breaker but the 5 is good enough for me spec wise so if it's cheaper i'd probably just buy a 5 and not a 5s. But i can't buy a 5 because i'd need to wait to see the 5s (hopefully the 6). The real only big selling point for me is is upgrading to LTE. There is a chance i'd upgrade just to get lte. But that's not certain. upgrading a 64 gb is expensive.
    iMore Intermediate

My upgrade cycle is really controlled by my carrier, since I go for the subsidized phone. And that has worked great for me. There is enough distance between models that when I do get the new one it has some cool features that make the upgrade worth having and I can get excited about it.

In general, electronic devices are constantly being updated, outdated, obsoleted, and out-competed. If you need a device, just go with what meets your needs at the time. Unless you have money to burn (or are a tech writer), who can afford to buy every update?
    Derrick4Real likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

I'm getting ready to come back to an iPhone, but I'm not sure if I should get the 5 or wait for the 5S.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The thing is, if you're always waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never upgrade! Because when you go to buy the phone, there's something new and better just around the corner. So, if I was in a position where I could upgrade (I technically am, but that's because I'm on a SIM-only contract), and I was considering an iPhone, I would just get the 5. That way, I'm using the current latest and greatest, and when upgrade time comes round again, I'll choose then. It was why I chose the Lumia 920 despite the rumours of the Nokia EOS. Lumia 920 is current latest and greatest WP, so I'll get that. Do you buy a phone for what it offers you NOW, or what it could offer you in the future?
    User of Apple (iPod Touch/MacBook Pro), Windows (HTC TITAN/Nokia Lumia 920/custom build desktop/MBP BootCamp), and open-source (HTC Flyer - Android)
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    The thing is, if you're always waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never upgrade! Because when you go to buy the phone, there's something new and better just around the corner. So, if I was in a position where I could upgrade (I technically am, but that's because I'm on a SIM-only contract), and I was considering an iPhone, I would just get the 5. That way, I'm using the current latest and greatest, and when upgrade time comes round again, I'll choose then. It was why I chose the Lumia 920 despite the rumours of the Nokia EOS. Lumia 920 is current latest and greatest WP, so I'll get that. Do you buy a phone for what it offers you NOW, or what it could offer you in the future?
    I'm due for an upgrade in a few weeks and will be getting my first iPhone and I'm going with the current version of the iPhone. I don't see the need to wait another 5 months for the 5S when the upgrades are minor hardware improvements. Now if an iPhone 6 was coming out with iOS 7 with larger battery and the hardware upgrades associated with the iPhone then that would be worth waiting for.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast