Battery not lasting very long

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the iPhone 5C. I upgraded from the 3GS, you read that correctly, last year when the 5C was released. I've been very happy with it. Big improvement from the 3GS of course. One thing though, recently I've noticed that the battery is not lasting very long. For example, I leave my house to work with a 100% charged battery. In an eight hour shift I will run out of battery unless I have my charger on hand to recharge it. This is just from texting, browsing the web, a couple of tweets, and reading news articles on CNN app. Not much video or music streaming, if any at all.

My one year warranty expires at the end of September. Should I just buy a new battery and replace it myself, or go to the apple store about this problem? Does the one year warranty even cover a battery replacement?

Sent from my iPhone 5C using iMore Forums app

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the iPhone 5C. I upgraded from the 3GS, you read that correctly, last year when the 5C was released. I've been very happy with it. Big improvement from the 3GS of course. One thing though, recently I've noticed that the battery is not lasting very long. For example, I leave my house to work with a 100% charged battery. In an eight hour shift I will run out of battery unless I have my charger on hand to recharge it. This is just from texting, browsing the web, a couple of tweets, and reading news articles on CNN app. Not much video or music streaming, if any at all.

My one year warranty expires at the end of September. Should I just buy a new battery and replace it myself, or go to the apple store about this problem? Does the one year warranty even cover a battery replacement?

Have you tried any of the battery saving techniques? If you have and are seeing no improvement, I'd take in to the Apple Store. Another thing is to take some screenshots of your usage in Settings>General>Usage and show them that you aren't getting good battery life. :)

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I've tried the battery saving tips: lowering screen brightness, using wifi when possible, fetching for emails every hour instead of having emails pushed to device, disabling location services for apps that I don't use, and closing apps completely that I'm not using.

Besides these efforts I can't think of anything else.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. How is signal from your wireless carrier where you work? If is is struggling to maintain good signal, that can really drain your battery.
2. How many of your apps is using "location services"?
3. Is Bluetooth enabled when not connected to any devices?

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
1. How is signal from your wireless carrier where you work? If is is struggling to maintain good signal, that can really drain your battery.
2. How many of your apps is using "location services"?
3. Is Bluetooth enabled when not connected to any devices?

My signal is usually pretty good, 3-4 bars. Only a very few apps, 5 or so use location services. Bluetooth is always off.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
How many email accounts do you login in your apple native email? Did you set it in push notification?

I have 4 email accounts. All are set to Fetch new emails every hour. None are set to Push.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1406741890.166776.jpg

This is a screen capture of my Usage. Battery is at 100% percent charge. In a couple hours I'll post another pic with the Usage then.

lmd052300

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
No surprise. You use lte and 4 fetch email accnts. Your usage is pretty normal to me. That setup consumes battery fast. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
No surprise. You use lte and 4 fetch email accnts. Your usage is pretty normal to me. That setup consumes battery fast. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Maybe I'm confused but I thought fetch was better than push when trying to conserve battery.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have not. I'll try it.

Since my earlier post 3 hours ago, where I had 100% charge, I am now at 63%, and again, I have not used my iPhone much. A couple of texts, and browsing web.

Does LTE really drain that much battery?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the 4G is that much of a battery drain. If you're really having an issue I would take it to apple and have them check it. If it's less than a year old they will cover it. In my case I use a mophie. I have everything on, on my phone and use it a lot. I need the extra battery. I don't want to compromise what I have working for battery usage.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Your battery is fine. It's all in what all you do and for how long. I get between 7 and 9 hours per charge, depending on my usage. Videos and games are big users. But to just test the battery to make sure it's working properly, take this test. It comes from a former Genius Bar worker.
So here's the test: write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711