is iPhone 5c a risky buy?

Subh98

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi there going to buy my first i-device in a fe w weeks. I just wanted to know whether the iPhone 5c will last me for at least 2 years or not. I plan to play some games but not heavily, mostly plan to use it for music and reading and want a stable device after having terrible experiences with android and wp none lasting for more than 1 year.

If I don't care about performance do I need to save up for iPhone 5s 16gb or at that price I can buy a iPhone 5c 32gb

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to iMore.

The 5C will easily last you for two years. It's a great device. They have less customisation so less to go wrong. My iPhone 4 was not reset in the whole two year period I had it and my 5 similarly in the year or so I had it. There was no need, neither of them went wrong.

The only decision you have is which one of the fantastic colours you will go for! :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm in agreement with Highrisedrifter. For what you're wanting to do, the iPhone 5C will suit you fine and should indeed last you at least 2 years. If you can swing it, get at least a 32GB model if you'll be downloading music more than streaming it.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi there going to buy my first i-device in a fe w weeks. I just wanted to know whether the iPhone 5c will last me for at least 2 years or not. I plan to play some games but not heavily, mostly plan to use it for music and reading and want a stable device after having terrible experiences with android and wp none lasting for more than 1 year.

If I don't care about performance do I need to save up for iPhone 5s 16gb or at that price I can buy a iPhone 5c 32gb

I use my iPhone 5C constantly for Kindle book reading, Audible Audiobook listening, writing, browsing, video watching and it has never lost a step...

Indeed a very good phone in a beautiful polycarbonate build.

Subh98

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah thanks for the replies. Only think that is pushing me towards 5s is the built quality otherwise 5c perfect for my needs until I upgrade to iPhone 6s or 7. By the way does the iPhone 5c feels cheap or slippery due to glossy built or it feels premium. I am buying off contract therefore if I manage to save that 100 dollars I can plump up for a decent set of headphones.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah thanks for the replies. Only think that is pushing me towards 5s is the built quality otherwise 5c perfect for my needs until I upgrade to iPhone 6s or 7. By the way does the iPhone 5c feels cheap or slippery due to glossy built or it feels premium. I am buying off contract therefore if I manage to save that 100 dollars I can plump up for a decent set of headphones.

My wife has the blue 5c. It's great! Feels good in the hand. Don't get suckered in by those who call it cheap. The polycarbonate material is top notch. Unless you really want the fingerprint scanner, get the 5c.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. The 5C is an excellent choice and it should last at least 2 years. Nothing cheap about it and it does feel premium, but not as much as the iPhone 5S.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

The 5c should probably get two more major updates -- it's really the flagship of 18 months ago in a new casing, and Apple seems to give its phones three major updates (the iPhone 4 probably is on its last one with iOS 7, and it came out in 2010; the 3GS got updated till iOS 6, and it came out in 2009; the 4S should probably get one last update with iOS 8.).

So if we assume that Apple continues its past performance (not necessarily a safe assumption!) -- Fall 2014, iOS 8 and iPhone 6; Fall 2015, iOS 9 and iPhone 6s; Fall 2016, iOS 10 and iPhone 7.

It's unlikely that the 5c would get an update to iOS 10, but if past is prologue, then it should get iOS 8 and 9. So if you want two full years -- till spring/summer 2016 -- you should be safe with the 5c.

As for build quality and feel -- that's subjective. You should probably have a look at one in person. (I personally think it feels substantial enough, but I do use a 5s myself, and prefer having a metal phone.)

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

I agree with everyone in here, go for the 5C. That said, if you're too worried about the built quality difference, maybe pop in an Apple Store just to fiddle around a little and try them out. i'm sure you'll be very content with the 5C.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I prefer the 5/5S in terms of looks. But the 5C is significantly more comfortable to hold. It feels awesome in the hand. It doesn't feel cheap either, it feels more ceramic than plastic. If you see a color you like, you are all set. And yes it will be fine for two years, and most likely a little more.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the 5/5S in terms of looks. But the 5C is significantly more comfortable to hold. It feels awesome in the hand. It doesn't feel cheap either, it feels more ceramic than plastic. If you see a color you like, you are all set. And yes it will be fine for two years, and most likely a little more.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah. It's very smooth.

Subh98

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Well yeah even i know if we follow the pattern then iPhone 5c should definitely go till ios 9. But the problem is that ios has moved to the 64 bit architecture and second now big screen iPhones are coming which may threaten future updates and I doubt ios 8 will run smoothly on the 5c there are bound to be lags for sure as it will be clearly optimized for not one but three 64 bit iphones(iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 and successor of iPhone 5c(iPhone 5sc or may be iPhone 6c, but I doubt 6c as it will contribute to discontinuity as when 6s will release we will have 7c ir may, may this may be some other letter iPhone and the c will coincide with s series).

Subh98

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Well by the way though even my friends have the blue iPhone 5c it just too faded for my tastes a little darker would have been perfect. Actually that's the case with all iPhone 5c colours, I wish they were a but darker, only white seems good but it defeats the purpose of the colourful iphone. I went to check out both the phones and as one of my friends has iPhone 5 I know I like its design. As a matter of fact I even like the build of iPhone 5c as it feels like my Lumia whose built I like very much, just a little bit more slippery.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it feels cheap. But that's just me.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Well yeah even i know if we follow the pattern then iPhone 5c should definitely go till ios 9. But the problem is that ios has moved to the 64 bit architecture and second now big screen iPhones are coming which may threaten future updates and I doubt ios 8 will run smoothly on the 5c there are bound to be lags for sure as it will be clearly optimized for not one but three 64 bit iphones

True, the 4 was pretty bad on iOS 7.0.x. It's improved on 7.1, but it's still slower than many would like.

So if that's a huge concern for you, then perhaps best to protect yourself by getting a 5s, and buying your nicer headphones next year.

I'd still recommend getting at least 32 GB of storage; those phones fill up quickly!

Subh98

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
True, the 4 was pretty bad on iOS 7.0.x. It's improved on 7.1, but it's still slower than many would like.

So if that's a huge concern for you, then perhaps best to protect yourself by getting a 5s, and buying your nicer headphones next year.

I'd still recommend getting at least 32 GB of storage; those phones fill up quickly!
Well actually even though i listen to tons of music i can get by 16gb( i was recently using a moto g as my daily driver and even after loading it with high end games and music i still had 7 gb left, though i did'nt shoot much pictures and i definitely don't watch movies on my mobile, its boring rather i would just go the movie hall) but i do need fast and reliable performance for 2 to 3 years.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711