iPhone 5c durability

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Anyone that has held a 5C can tell you its one solid device. It feels like it weighs more than the 5s...and that's not a bad thing at all. However, the shell is plastic and we're not talking kevlar-ish, carbon-fibre, or aircraft-grade resins. If you don't put some type of case on it time is going to likely catch up with you and the grim-reaper is gonna come. She forgets no phone without a case and she loves to knock phones out of hands and onto concrete and such. Even if you don't have scratches or burrs that bother you you may one day drop the device on something harder than...plastic.

My advice for all of you that want to keep your phones naked. Strongly consider at least a Zagg Invisible Shield Full-Body (or equivalent) kit. It'll protect your 5c from scratches and will make it grippier too. The peace of mind and protection a case or a Zagg ISFB provides is worthy, IME.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Anyone that has held a 5C can tell you its one solid device. It feels like it weighs more than the 5s...and that's not a bad thing at all. However, the shell is plastic and we're not talking kevlar-ish, carbon-fibre, or aircraft-grade resins. If you don't put some type of case on it time is going to likely catch up with you and the grim-reaper is gonna come. She forgets no phone without a case and she loves to knock phones out of hands and onto concrete and such. Even if you don't have scratches or burrs that bother you you may one day drop the device on something harder than...plastic.

My advice for all of you that want to keep your phones naked. Strongly consider at least a Zagg Invisible Shield Full-Body (or equivalent) kit. It'll protect your 5c from scratches and will make it grippier too. The peace of mind and protection a case or a Zagg ISFB provides is worthy, IME.

After the Grim Reaper cost me $158 to replace a shattered screen.
I now use an Otterbox Commuter case.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I got the 5c specifically for my daughter's first phone. No way of give a middle schooler a sleek, easily dinged phone like the 5 or 5s. They're great and sexy but you feel like you have to handle them so carefully. With the 5c, you can just use it and it feels good in the hand and feels tough.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I got the 5c specifically for my daughter's first phone. No way of give a middle schooler a sleek, easily dinged phone like the 5 or 5s. They're great and sexy but you feel like you have to handle them so carefully. With the 5c, you can just use it and it feels good in the hand and feels tough.

The 5c may feel tough but the internet torture tests unfortunately show the screen shatters as easily as a 5s.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The 5c may feel tough but the internet torture tests unfortunately show the screen shatters as easily as a 5s.

I figured the screen was it's major weakness. It's just that it feels very solid in hand. Mine has survived a drop or two and shows no sign of it. Though of course I've got a cover and screen protector....

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It's very durable! Watch phone doctors drop test on YouTube. The 5c showed less ware from being dropped, then the 5s did.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm gonna have to look that up. My daughter does drop things a lot.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, yeah, I thought that as well, but it sure would've been nice. They could have made the Space Grey 5s all Space Grey with no black accents. (that'd have been slick too, IMO). ...but a black 5c would still eat into 5s sales and into sales of the other colored 5c's as well. It'd prolly have been the most popular iPhone.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I would have loved to have a black 5C. I just purchased a bunch of white ones for work.

On the original note I have dropped mine numerous times with only minor scratches and I don't use a case on the 5C.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I had a case on mine and it fell off the bed and the phone came out of the pink plastic Apple shell.

Not a case you by at the store and put on your phone, but the phone fell apart. I have the pink C and the pink part was in my clear plastic case but the guts of the phone were exposed after part of it came apart.

I was able to get it snapped back in place though and everything works just fine.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I had a case on mine and it fell off the bed and the phone came out of the pink plastic Apple shell.

Not a case you by at the store and put on your phone, but the phone fell apart. I have the pink C and the pink part was in my clear plastic case but the guts of the phone were exposed after part of it came apart.

I was able to get it snapped back in place though and everything works just fine.

Did you take pictures of it? I'm sorry, but it just sounds a little far-fetched as the casing is screwed in place.

crowordove

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Did you take pictures of it? I'm sorry, but it just sounds a little far-fetched as the casing is screwed in place.

As a resident blue shirt in the forums I can confirm that this can happen. I've seen it a few times and it usually happens when in a case. It pops out in the upper left corner as they are screwed in on the bottom and are held in place by a ridge inside the device on the top. Popping it back in can lead to some issues if your not careful though, there have been a few shattered screens brought in due to some badly applied force.

Last edited:

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
As a resident blue shirt in the forums I can confirm that this can happen. I've seen it a few times and it usually happens when in a case. It pops out in the upper left corner as they are screwed in on the bottom and are held in place by a ridge inside the device on the top. Popping it back in can lead to some issues if your not careful though, there have been a few shattered screens brought in due to some badly applied force.

I stand corrected. Apologies, Ginger. Crazy, I never would have imagined this happening.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I stand corrected. Apologies, Ginger. Crazy, I never would have imagined this happening.

If I had another phone and/or camera, I would have. I put a towel down on my night stand, flipped the phone screen side down and popped it back in place slowly with gentle pressure. It worked though thank heavens. The closest Verizon store to me is in another state.

And if it's far fetched or out there, it will happen to me. I have the worst luck.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Aside of the shattered screen. My phone was still in the case.
I got lucky, the phone did seperate at the top left corner.
But it did not completely come apart.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods