Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree39Likes
  • 2 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 2 Post By Dog5000
  • 1 Post By cwbcpa
  • 1 Post By thebizz
  • 1 Post By pr1nce
  • 2 Post By daisylin24
  • 1 Post By EmceeGeek
  • 1 Post By pr1nce
  • 2 Post By leslie haw
  • 1 Post By jmburke1982
  • 8 Post By daisylin24
  • 2 Post By iEd
  • 3 Post By ThePinkChameleon
  • 2 Post By jmr1015
  • 2 Post By Karenkcoulter
  • 3 Post By jmr1015
  • 3 Post By daisylin24
  • 2 Post By leslie haw
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Default Just ordered my teenage son an iPhone 5c

I ordered my teenage son a white iPhone 5c 16 gb, but he doesn't know it. My son will be 18, coming from android. I hope I'm making a good choice. He has a LG Lucid right now and loves the phone. That was his first smartphone and he's had it since it's launch. I have the 5s and I love my phone, so hoping he'll enjoy an iPhone as well. His Lucid only has 8gb (he isn't using a sd card), I believe, and is only a 5 mp camera. The 5c will have a better screen resolution, better camera, and 2x the gb. Should I have bought another android for him or do you think he'll adapt and enjoy the iPhone 5c?

Sent from my iPad using
    Super Sexy Sweet Space Gray
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

Default Re: Just ordered my teenage son an iPhone 5c

Hard to say ... kids are so unpredictable.
    Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous ...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,778 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

The good thing about this purchase is that he's used to the 4" screen size (since I think the Lucid was also a 4" screen)...the iPhone will be decently faster, better camera and a few other small details that were improved over the LG. The only thing I could see being a draw back is if he's heavily invested in apps on the LG (Android market), because he'll have to buy new apps on the iPhone to replace them.

It's hard to say though, my nephew was a full on Android fan...he had like 3 droid based phones before he was moved to the iPhone 5 (when my brother moved all of them to AT&T), and he loved the iPhone as soon as he got it. This may not be the same for you.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    daisylin24 (11-03-2013)
    nikkisharif and daisylin24 like this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    The good thing about this purchase is that he's used to the 4" screen size (since I think the Lucid was also a 4" screen)...the iPhone will be decently faster, better camera and a few other small details that were improved over the LG. The only thing I could see being a draw back is if he's heavily invested in apps on the LG (Android market), because he'll have to buy new apps on the iPhone to replace them.

It's hard to say though, my nephew was a full on Android fan...he had like 3 droid based phones before he was moved to the iPhone 5 (when my brother moved all of them to AT&T), and he loved the iPhone as soon as he got it. This may not be the same for you.
    I don't believe he has any apps that he had to pay for on his LG. He does have a lot of free music downloaded from a music app though. Since it was from a free app, I probably won't be able to save it to a computer? I could buy him an iTunes card to get him started, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,141 Global Posts

Getting him started with an iTunes Gift Card for apps, and letting him pick out a durable protective case might help ease the transition - if he has any doubts.
    Thanked by:
    daisylin24 (11-03-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    735 Global Posts

If his friends have iPhones he will love it. That is what keeps my teenage daughter on iPhone. She said she will never change because all her friends have iPhones and things like iMessage and photo sharing are easier for them on iOS. Obviously you can do those things on android but it is nice when everyone is on the same OS. Good luck. I bet he loves it. The first thing he will notice is how smooth it is compared to his old phone.

Sent using
    Thanked by:
    daisylin24 (11-03-2013)
    daisylin24 likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts

Good luck because this could swing both ways. If you want him to truly embrace the phone than do what an earlier poster said and get him an iTunes gift card and case. So he can start out on the right foot rather than looking for a bunch of free apps and having no music on his device.
    Thanked by:
    daisylin24 (11-03-2013)
    daisylin24 likes this.

Global Posts
    15,171 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's impossible for me to say if you made a good choice since I don't know your son. My son was 19 when I bought him his first iPhone and he loved it. But most of his friends were using iPhones. You know what your son likes. Hopefully, he'll like it.
    daisylin24 likes this.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Thank you for the replies! I understand you don't know my son, so it is impossible for you to say 100%. I just needed advice, or opinions rather. Hopefully, the 5c would be a great device for his needs/wants, and an improvement over his current phone, however, if not satisfied, I guess I could always return or sell it. Thank you again, your responses helped me reinforce my decision. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using
    nikkisharif and pr1nce like this.

Global Posts
    2,133 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Kids, you never know! Mostly everyone has iPhones now, so he just might like it because he'll be in the iClub with his peers. Lol! Does he like your 5s?
    64GB iPhone 6 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    daisylin24 likes this.

Global Posts
    15,171 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by daisylin24 View Post
    Thank you for the replies! I understand you don't know my son, so it is impossible for you to say 100%. I just needed advice, or opinions rather. Hopefully, the 5c would be a great device for his needs/wants, and an improvement over his current phone, however, if not satisfied, I guess I could always return or sell it. Thank you again, your responses helped me reinforce my decision. :-)

If your son is anything like mine he'll like it. My son uses his iPhone for texting, a lot of texting, camera, social apps like Twitter, Instagram and music storage. I bet he'll like it.
    daisylin24 likes this.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EmceeGeek View Post
    Kids, you never know! Mostly everyone has iPhones now, so he just might like it because he'll be in the iClub with his peers. Lol! Does he like your 5s?
    I don't think he has ever even looked at my phone lol! He's never been one to stay up to the current trends, I think he's oblivious to everything and everyone around him. It's good in a way that it saves me money, but I try to keep him up to date, however lol.

Sent from my iPad using
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Well I would love and appreciate anything from my mum Don't worry I'm sure he'll like it! It's a gift given with love
    Thanked by:
    daisylin24 (11-05-2013)
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

It may take some getting used to, and a period of adjustment...but I think he will like it. Like others have said...if he has friends with one he will enjoy it. An iTunes card is a good idea. If he doesn't like it, you should be able to return it within 30 days I believe.
    Thanked by:
    rryoung (12-23-2013)
    daisylin24 likes this.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Default Just ordered my teenage son an iPhone 5c

The 5c arrived yesterday...I let my son pick out a case, and he's been playing around with the phone quite a bit. He seems to really like the iPhone!

I do have to say, his phone was the first 5c I've seen or held in person...I really like it! I loved how the phone felt in my hand! May sound silly, but I liked the feel of it better than my 5s! I teasingly told my son I would trade him, lol.

iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,921 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yea the 5c is nice. My niece and nephew have them. It's a great phone. The blue looks really nice.

#Naked Tuesday
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,140 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by daisylin24 View Post
    The 5c arrived yesterday...I let my son pick out a case, and he's been playing around with the phone quite a bit. He seems to really like the iPhone!

I do have to say, his phone was the first 5c I've seen or held in person...I really like it! I loved how the phone felt in my hand! May sound silly, but I liked the feel of it better than my 5s! I teasingly told my son I would trade him, lol.

Great to hear your son is enjoying it I have the pink 5C, coming from the white 4S, and I LOVE IT !! I passed up the 5S myself because I preferred the way the C felt in hand
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts

Glad he likes the phone. I agree, the 5C is a really nice phone to hold. Really sturdy feeling plastic and the slightly thicker heavier feel versus the 5/5S somehow feels less fragile, even though the 5 & 5S are both metal.

Now you can FaceTime with him when you want to know where he is, and he can use the camera to show you!
    Thanked by:
    daisylin24 (11-06-2013)

Global Posts
    6,641 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by jmr1015 View Post
    Glad he likes the phone. I agree, the 5C is a really nice phone to hold. Really sturdy feeling plastic and the slightly thicker heavier feel versus the 5/5S somehow feels less fragile, even though the 5 & 5S are both metal.

Now you can FaceTime with him when you want to know where he is, and he can use the camera to show you!
    Or just make him accept a Find My Friends request and then you can always know exactly where he is.
    jmr1015 and daisylin24 like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Or just make him accept a Find My Friends request and then you can always know exactly where he is.
    Oh jeez. That too! I'm so glad they didn't have technology like they do now when I was a kid.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Haha! Oh goodness! I'm sooo glad I didn't have a cell phone growing up, I probably would've been in big trouble! I'm not sure what year caller ID became available, but my parents didn't get that until 1993! That was bad enough! Lol! 😜

Thanked by:
    mac2013 (12-01-2013)
    nikkisharif, iEd and mac2013 like this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Really happy to read that your son is loving the 5c! Yeah FaceTime him more often. Use it to grow your relationship with him 😊

I admit I have this soft spot for the 5c too! Though I'm using the space grey. I really love the smooth rounded contours of the phone 😊
    Thanked by:
    daisylin24 (11-08-2013)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,489 Global Posts

Wait a minute should I have kept the 5s for myself and given the 5c to my kid. No, I'm satisfied with the 5c while she sports the 5s. Besides when we purchased hers I decided to grab the 5c as a last minute buy.

I use it for only a few things anyway like the fitness apps that were not available on another platform.
    But I admit I'm loving this little powerhouse.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,327 Global Posts

I, too, think the 5c feels amazing in the hand. If they had the 5s innards in the 5c form factor I'd be so happy. My blue 5c will be my daughter's when she starts middle school in the fall. For now, it's my backup phone and I suspect I will go back to it quite a bit bc it's such a nice phone.