Just ordered my teenage son an iPhone 5c

daisylin24

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my teenage son a white iPhone 5c 16 gb, but he doesn't know it. My son will be 18, coming from android. I hope I'm making a good choice. He has a LG Lucid right now and loves the phone. That was his first smartphone and he's had it since it's launch. I have the 5s and I love my phone, so hoping he'll enjoy an iPhone as well. His Lucid only has 8gb (he isn't using a sd card), I believe, and is only a 5 mp camera. The 5c will have a better screen resolution, better camera, and 2x the gb. Should I have bought another android for him or do you think he'll adapt and enjoy the iPhone 5c?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The good thing about this purchase is that he's used to the 4" screen size (since I think the Lucid was also a 4" screen)...the iPhone will be decently faster, better camera and a few other small details that were improved over the LG. The only thing I could see being a draw back is if he's heavily invested in apps on the LG (Android market), because he'll have to buy new apps on the iPhone to replace them.

It's hard to say though, my nephew was a full on Android fan...he had like 3 droid based phones before he was moved to the iPhone 5 (when my brother moved all of them to AT&T), and he loved the iPhone as soon as he got it. This may not be the same for you.

daisylin24

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The good thing about this purchase is that he's used to the 4" screen size (since I think the Lucid was also a 4" screen)...the iPhone will be decently faster, better camera and a few other small details that were improved over the LG. The only thing I could see being a draw back is if he's heavily invested in apps on the LG (Android market), because he'll have to buy new apps on the iPhone to replace them.

It's hard to say though, my nephew was a full on Android fan...he had like 3 droid based phones before he was moved to the iPhone 5 (when my brother moved all of them to AT&T), and he loved the iPhone as soon as he got it. This may not be the same for you.

I don't believe he has any apps that he had to pay for on his LG. He does have a lot of free music downloaded from a music app though. Since it was from a free app, I probably won't be able to save it to a computer? I could buy him an iTunes card to get him started, I guess.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Getting him started with an iTunes Gift Card for apps, and letting him pick out a durable protective case might help ease the transition - if he has any doubts.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
If his friends have iPhones he will love it. That is what keeps my teenage daughter on iPhone. She said she will never change because all her friends have iPhones and things like iMessage and photo sharing are easier for them on iOS. Obviously you can do those things on android but it is nice when everyone is on the same OS. Good luck. I bet he loves it. The first thing he will notice is how smooth it is compared to his old phone.

Sent using Tapatalk

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Good luck because this could swing both ways. If you want him to truly embrace the phone than do what an earlier poster said and get him an iTunes gift card and case. So he can start out on the right foot rather than looking for a bunch of free apps and having no music on his device.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It's impossible for me to say if you made a good choice since I don't know your son. My son was 19 when I bought him his first iPhone and he loved it. But most of his friends were using iPhones. You know what your son likes. Hopefully, he'll like it. :)

daisylin24

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the replies! I understand you don't know my son, so it is impossible for you to say 100%. I just needed advice, or opinions rather. Hopefully, the 5c would be a great device for his needs/wants, and an improvement over his current phone, however, if not satisfied, I guess I could always return or sell it. Thank you again, your responses helped me reinforce my decision. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Kids, you never know! Mostly everyone has iPhones now, so he just might like it because he'll be in the iClub with his peers. Lol! Does he like your 5s?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the replies! I understand you don't know my son, so it is impossible for you to say 100%. I just needed advice, or opinions rather. Hopefully, the 5c would be a great device for his needs/wants, and an improvement over his current phone, however, if not satisfied, I guess I could always return or sell it. Thank you again, your responses helped me reinforce my decision. :)

If your son is anything like mine he'll like it. My son uses his iPhone for texting, a lot of texting, camera, social apps like Twitter, Instagram and music storage. I bet he'll like it.

daisylin24

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Kids, you never know! Mostly everyone has iPhones now, so he just might like it because he'll be in the iClub with his peers. Lol! Does he like your 5s?

I don't think he has ever even looked at my phone lol! He's never been one to stay up to the current trends, I think he's oblivious to everything and everyone around him. It's good in a way that it saves me money, but I try to keep him up to date, however lol.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It may take some getting used to, and a period of adjustment...but I think he will like it. Like others have said...if he has friends with one he will enjoy it. An iTunes card is a good idea. If he doesn't like it, you should be able to return it within 30 days I believe.

daisylin24

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The 5c arrived yesterday...I let my son pick out a case, and he's been playing around with the phone quite a bit. He seems to really like the iPhone!

I do have to say, his phone was the first 5c I've seen or held in person...I really like it! I loved how the phone felt in my hand! May sound silly, but I liked the feel of it better than my 5s! I teasingly told my son I would trade him, lol.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yea the 5c is nice. My niece and nephew have them. It's a great phone. The blue looks really nice.

#Naked Tuesday

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The 5c arrived yesterday...I let my son pick out a case, and he's been playing around with the phone quite a bit. He seems to really like the iPhone!

I do have to say, his phone was the first 5c I've seen or held in person...I really like it! I loved how the phone felt in my hand! May sound silly, but I liked the feel of it better than my 5s! I teasingly told my son I would trade him, lol.

Great to hear your son is enjoying it:) I have the pink 5C, coming from the white 4S, and I LOVE IT !! I passed up the 5S myself because I preferred the way the C felt in hand;):D

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Glad he likes the phone. I agree, the 5C is a really nice phone to hold. Really sturdy feeling plastic and the slightly thicker heavier feel versus the 5/5S somehow feels less fragile, even though the 5 & 5S are both metal.

Now you can FaceTime with him when you want to know where he is, and he can use the camera to show you!

daisylin24

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Or just make him accept a Find My Friends request and then you can always know exactly where he is.

Haha! Oh goodness! I'm sooo glad I didn't have a cell phone growing up, I probably would've been in big trouble! I'm not sure what year caller ID became available, but my parents didn't get that until 1993! That was bad enough! Lol! 😜

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73