Apple includes 5c and 5s numbers together

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Yet, we're getting all kinds of crazy stories. When the whole thing started, the media first said that Apple would be making a low cost version of the phone that would lose features and come with things like 3G and stuff like that.

When that didn't happen, they wondered why it was so expensive. Even though the phone is actually the high quality product you expect. On top of that, there is an illusion of sales numbers between the overproduced 5c and underproduced 5s. When the 5s arrived, only 2 to 3 gold models of the phone were available at any given store.

I could say, well, no one cares how many it sold. These are S and C models, neither are new new iPhones.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: The 5c is selling better than the iPhone 5 now.

The iPhone5 was 'discontinued'... as in they quit makin' 'em... makes sense that eventually stock would deplete... rocket science it isn't. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: No one knows how much the 5c has sold

When the 5s arrived, only 2 to 3 gold models of the phone were available at any given store.

This isn't true at all...some stores may have only received 2-3...I know for a fact that one of the Apple stores in Atlanta got around 50 of them on release day, and about a dozen each day afterwards for about a week (and now, have gold readily in stock for AT&T and Verizon, depending on which storage size you're looking for).

I could say, well, no one cares how many it sold. These are S and C models, neither are new new iPhones.

Both are "new" phones...a phone can be brand new without a complete redesign. In fact, since this is the 5c forum, I'd argue that the design aspect of the 5c is a pretty clearly NEW phone, given it's new design and external materials combined with a slew of new features on the inside.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I don't think the 5s was underproduced the high demand wasn't anticipated especially for the gold.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

Well anyway, since launch day, Apple received zero (0) SIM free unlocked phones at any of their stores. I was there. Does it really make sense that Apple would underestimate the demand for the 5s?

I think the supply is constrained because of the fingerprint sensor. If you wanted the 5s, you had to wait a month or two or three or longer.

Both are "new" phones...a phone can be brand new without a complete redesign. In fact, since this is the 5c forum, I'd argue that the design aspect of the 5c is a pretty clearly NEW phone, given it's new design and external materials combined with a slew of new features on the inside.

They're both refinements I had an iPhone 5 will scuff gate, I knew that if. I had gotten the 5s it would be the same thing.

It's a real mystery. For the 5s Is there the illusion of demand because the phone is underproduced?

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Well anyway, since launch day, Apple received zero (0) SIM free unlocked phones at any of their stores. I was there. Does it really make sense that Apple would underestimate the demand for the 5s?

I think the supply is constrained because of the fingerprint sensor. If you wanted the 5s, you had to wait a month or two or three or longer.

They're both refinements I had an iPhone 5 will scuff gate, I knew that if. I had gotten the 5s it would be the same thing.

It's a real mystery. For the 5s Is there the illusion of demand because the phone is underproduced?

Of course it makes sense they under estimated demand being that it was the best opening weekend ever for iPhone. They exceeded what they did last year. A totally new phone and redesigned OS.

As far as scuff gate. Once they got rid of black slate I knew that wasn't going to be a issue.

Unlocked phones? You just aren't going to have a lot of people dropping 6-800 bucks for a unlocked phone. Some people do though. A carrier would much rather get 2k out of you in 2 years. I don't believe unlocked phones are at the forefront of Apples strategy. Unlocked phones benefit the consumer.
The long money is in contracts and Apple wants the long money. If I was Apple or a carrier I wouldn't push unlocked phones. I would offer it but not push it.

But what is a 5c? The 5 in a new case. Essentially you are producing new cases for the 5. The 5s is new externals and internals.

So it's safe to assume the production rates would be faster on a 5c. This doesn't mean they were overproduced. It just means it's faster to slap a new case on a 5.

If you estimate a demand and the consumer exceeds that estimate you have the 5s. That doesn't mean it was underproduced.

The iPhone 6 production may be based on demand for the 5s. But what if more people switch or more decide to upgrade you have even more demand.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

So you're saying that the iPhone 5c should've gotten the fingerprint and the A7?

If the 5c is just the 5 in a new case then the 5s is the actual 5. It looks exactly the same. They just switched chips.

Already knowing full well that the A7 currently doesn't provide any additional benefit.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

You are 100% inaccurate with so many things you've said here I don't even know where to begin.

1.) Apple stores NEVER sell unlocked iPhone's this close to release dates...it's been this way since the iPhone 3GS.

2.) There's plenty of supply out there. And you can "think" whatever you want, doesn't mean it has any legitimacy at all.

3.) The 5S has no scuffing problems...it has nothing similar to what the iPhone 5 had after release.

4.) There's no illusion about the consumer demand for the 5S, it's blatantly in front of your eyes...clear as day.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

So you're saying that the iPhone 5c should've gotten the fingerprint and the A7?

If the 5c is just the 5 in a new case then the 5s is the actual 5. It looks exactly the same. They just switched chips.

Already knowing full well that the A7 currently doesn't provide any additional benefit.

You literally have no clue what you're talking about. Zero.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

You literally have no clue what you're talking about. Zero.

You seem a little bit "perturbed".

If I'm mistaken, can you help me? Why can you get an unlocked 5c but the unlocked 5s is not on their website at all?

Long story short, since day one, I could not get a 5s and I did not want to wait thirty days plus. It's at the point now where if you order a 5s, you don't know when you're going to get it, you'd have no idea.

This is supplemented by the fact that people everyday try to say, don't buy the 5c even though it is readily available and suits my needs.

Help me with this one too. Why should I desire to get the A7, when apps have barely gotten to the A6 level?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

3uvyryha.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Yet, we're getting all kinds of crazy stories. When the whole thing started, the media first said that Apple would be making a low cost version of the phone that would lose features and come with things like 3G and stuff like that.
Yet, I do not recall reading any quotes from Apple about it prior to its release.

When that didn't happen, they wondered why it was so expensive. Even though the phone is actually the high quality product you expect.
First of all, Apple sold millions of the iPhone 5C within days of its release. Still, Apple products are "generally" regarded as premium items, and it's not illogical to conclude that some people shy away from anything perceived as "low cost" or "for the budget-minded". Then there are people who've learned that the 5C is basically and iPhone 5 and "may have" opted to get the 5 and keep the "premium" look in lieu of the 5C. I "suspect" that stores are still selling the 5C and will sell even more during the Christmas shopping season.
On top of that, there is an illusion of sales numbers between the overproduced 5c and underproduced 5s.
Where is the proof that the 5C was "overproduced and the 5S was underproduced?
When the 5s arrived, only 2 to 3 gold models of the phone were available at any given store.
You're stating this as if it is fact without proof.

What? I'll cut you some slack with the 5C, but the 5S is indeed a "new model". Unlike the 4 and the 4S with no outward differences, the 5S has a fingerprint scanner that is clearly visible and distinguishable from the home button go the iPhone 5.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

Today Apple confirmed the two things I had thought all along:

(1) People read rumors that the 5c was supposed to be some kind of low tier phone, but that wasn't Apple's intention.

This was obvious to me. I guess, in their heart, people wanted Apple to address the lower price segment with the 5c but that's not what happened. That's what the 4 and 4S is for.

(2) The 5s supply is severely constrained.

He said it himself. Severe backlogs. I knew I wasn't crazy. I couldn't find a unlocked 5s anywhere. Apple didn't address the sales numbers of the individual phones. But both the duo of iPhones are out, you take what you can get.

With the iPhone 6 right around the corner, you have to play your options.

No one knows how much the 5c has sold, and it doesn't matter.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Today Apple confirmed the two things I had thought all along:

(1) People read rumors that the 5c was supposed to be some kind of low tier phone, but that wasn't Apple's intention.

This was obvious to me. I guess, in their heart, people wanted Apple to address the lower price segment with the 5c but that's not what happened. That's what the 4 and 4S is for.

(2) The 5s supply is severely constrained.

He said it himself. Severe backlogs. I knew I wasn't crazy. I couldn't find a unlocked 5s anywhere. Apple didn't address the sales numbers of the individual phones. But both the duo of iPhones are out, you take what you can get.

With the iPhone 6 right around the corner, you have to play your options.

I'm certainly not perturbed...I just think it's hilarious how you were spouting off about non-sense earlier when you spoke about the phones being no different...it was hilarious really, and a bit pitiful.

The iPhone 6 is not anywhere near "right around the corner", it's nearly a full year away, in technology terms, that's quite a while.

I'd address what you've pointed out, but you're seriously just rambling about non-sensical opinions you've come up with, and for some reason, you're hung up on the fact that you've not got a 5S yet. You're not making any legitimate points, nor are you raising any decent arguments...so what's the point in trying to show you reality? You'll just discredit it because it doesn't follow in line with your opinion.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

You seem a little bit "perturbed".

If I'm mistaken, can you help me? Why can you get an unlocked 5c but the unlocked 5s is not on their website at all?

Long story short, since day one, I could not get a 5s and I did not want to wait thirty days plus. It's at the point now where if you order a 5s, you don't know when you're going to get it, you'd have no idea.

This is supplemented by the fact that people everyday try to say, don't buy the 5c even though it is readily available and suits my needs.

Help me with this one too. Why should I desire to get the A7, when apps have barely gotten to the A6 level?

The 5S is sold unlocked. It's the sim-free version.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

I'm willing to bet that a bulk of orders were actually 5c models. Because how is anyone buying the 5s when it's back logged, not in stores and not available?

Not that it matters, I'm just saying. Take what you can get. To me, I'd rather get a 5c than wait for a 5s. When you put the two phones up against each other, the difference is not discernible. A7 and 64 bits does not offer any advantage for anyone now.

This was also addressed in the conference call. And till now, no one has been able to directly answer that question. The question of what someone would use an A7 for, when apps haven't even gotten to the A6 level.

Then I thought about it, and I said well if I was going to buy the 5S I probably would want to keep it when the 6 came out. I know I want the 6. So I decided to get the 5C and get the 6.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
No one knows how much the 5c has sold

I'm willing to bet that a bulk of orders were actually 5c models. Because how is anyone buying the 5s when it's back logged, not in stores and not available?

Not that it matters, I'm just saying. Take what you can get. To me, I'd rather get a 5c than wait for a 5s. When you put the two phones up against each other, the difference is not discernible. A7 does not offer any advantage for me now.

Dude do what you want to do who cares. I got my 5S Sept 24. Walked in got it.
I don't care what Apple is or is not selling. I'm not getting a cut.

#Naked Tuesday

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

Dude do what you want to do who cares. I got my 5S Sept 24. Walked in got it.
I don't care what Apple is or is not selling. I'm not getting a cut.

#Naked Tuesday

And let me guess, you got the space gray. That's because statistically, if someone says they walked to the store and got a 5s, chances are it wasn't a gold one. Because most stores did not get any gold at all.

You don't know the full story of what I actually did to try to get these phones but the fact of the matter is that there is no unlocked iPhone 5s Sim free that Apple is selling right now.

But I do have to take into consideration that most people actually do get iPhones on contracts. And most people actually don't buy unlocked phones so it's not really that big of an issue. For me, it is because I'm a business person and travel all the time.

I don't usually deal with carrier contracts, but even if I decided to try going onto a contract to get the 5S I would feel severely disappointed, and then what would I do when the iPhone 6 came out?

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

And let me guess, you got the space gray. That's because statistically, if someone says they walked to the store and got a 5s, chances are it wasn't a gold one. Because most stores did not get any gold at all.

You don't know the full story of what I actually did to try to get these phones but the fact of the matter is that there is no unlocked iPhone 5s Sim free that Apple is selling right now.

You're changing your tune. First you're saying unlocked. I provide evidence of unlocked and then you change it to "sim-free." Whether the phone has a SIM card in it, pay full retail, and it is unlocked. I've already bought two iPhone 5S's with AT&T sims and paying full retail turned them unlocked. Whether it's sim free or not, you're paying the same price for an unlocked phone.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

You're changing your tune. First you're saying unlocked. I provide evidence of unlocked and then you change it to "sim-free." Whether the phone has a SIM card in it, pay full retail, and it is unlocked. I've already bought two iPhone 5S's with AT&T sims and paying full retail turned them unlocked. Whether it's sim free or not, you're paying the same price for an unlocked phone.

You provided evidence of T-Mobile contract free. Can someone answer this question, where is the unlocked sim free version? Just look on the iPhone 5c page, it's there it's not there with the 5S.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yufengxing089