Will "c" series be every other year?

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I know no one knows but Apple but I was just thinking about when future "c" iPhones will release. Since the 5c released with the 5s, will the 6c release with the 6s? Meaning next year when the 6 releases there won't be a new "c" iphone. Or if the 6c releases with the 6, what would they call the "c" iphone that releases with the 6s? 6cs? I think about random things, hope that makes sense lol

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot depends on the success of the 5c. It it flops, would Apple be inclined to do another model? Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone 5 iMore Forum App

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking every year just to keep the slightly cheaper one year old model on sale, but in the added colored body. So next year it would the 5SC. That's my guess.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking every year just to keep the slightly cheaper one year old model on sale, but in the added colored body. So next year it would the 5SC. That's my guess

No, it would just become the iPhone 6C. Just like the iPhone 5 became the 5C. It's not the number that is important, it's a new model, remember? Even if they just upgrade the internals slightly and change the outer shell, it becomes a new model.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
No, it would just become the iPhone 6C. Just like the iPhone 5 became the 5C. It's not the number that is important, it's a new model, remember? Even if they just upgrade the internals slightly and change the outer shell, it becomes a new model.

I know, and there has never been an SC model therefore it would be the new model.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Depends on sales of this one... I can see them doing it again perhaps

Sent from my iPhone 5s

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I could see why Apple would do this every year because it brings in customers that don't want a plain black, silver, or gold iPhone. Honestly i played with the 5s and 5c before buying them and decided on the 5c just because it felt better in hand and you could get different colors. My hope is that it does sell well so Apple can continue or expand on the idea.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, this is a good one to ponder on Vin. I just upgraded my 4S to the pink 5C on Friday. The reason I chose it over the 5S is the body build ---> polycarbonate = no case(s) for me:) It was really only this summer that I started becoming comfortable with not having a case on my 4S, I would use just skins. (plus i didn't feel compelled to "have to have" the touch id)

So, I really hope that the C series does do well, and whether they have a new C model every year or along every "S" model year, that would be great. I feel more comfortable handling the C series in all honesty. (there is nothing cheap feeling about it !! ) As long as Apple continues to make the C series, when my next upgrade is due 2yrs. from now, I will most likely stay with this model style :)

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think that there will always be some form of slightly lower specced "C" model around. Whether or not it is the "6C" I don't know, but I think it is a safe bet that Apple will be keeping a two-model strategy going forward. It allows them the opportunity to promote a new model at a different price point and even flash it up a bit with different colors. From what I've read it really helps their margins to have a not so premium phone on the market.

Now where I think they could deviate from this is if the higher end model also became less expensive to produce - like if they went poly-carbonate on the next flagship. If they did that there is less pressure on margins to reduce the cost of "last year's flagship."

But I still think a "C" will be around anyway. It makes sense not only for margins but for perception. The iPhone 4S sold really well even after the 5 came out. Not only does that look a little bad for Apple's flagship it keeps old hardware and old standards, in that case the 30-Pin connector, around for longer than they'd probably like. Updating to a "C" (or whatever it is called) will give them a different advertising story to tell and also give a good impression of the latest generation of Apple products.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
But the thing is, the 5c is not old technology. It's current technology.

The 5s has the same screen as the 5c and the 5. And it also has the same front facing camera. They also all shoot the same megapixel photos.

8 megapixels and 4 inch retina display with the same resolution. The same LTE capabilities with the same software.

jamesedward318

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Apple should release a top tier phone initially and release the "C" series at launch as well. We all know that the "S" series is always a moderate to mild hardware enhancement. Apple could stand to make more $$$$ by releasing the "C" when the do the initial launch of the phone.

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
If they did, they should make things clear, because I'm seeing stuff like "the 6c has been released with the internals of the 5s", very confusing.

Either they rename it (iPhone Air / iPhone mini? *shrugs*) either they really make it clear.

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
If they did, they should make things clear, because I'm seeing stuff like "the 6c has been released with the internals of the 5s", very confusing.

Either they rename it (iPhone Air / iPhone mini? *shrugs*) either they really make it clear.

I agree about the rename. Maybe iPhone Air and iPhone C? Then they could just put the release year in the small print. So years later you would have iPhone Air (2013, '14, etc) and iPhone C (2013, '14, etc). Just a thought.

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It's not entirely impossible that they'll go with an iPhone Pro and iPhone C naming model and just note the year like they do with Macs.

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
It's not entirely impossible that they'll go with an iPhone Pro and iPhone C naming model and just note the year like they do with Macs.

I like iPhone Pro too! Hypothetical question, if they were to change the naming scheme which would y'all prefer? iPhone Air or iPhone Pro? Or something else?