Any reasons as to why the iPhone 5C isn't cheap

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This phone was never intended to be cheap it was and always will be a higher profit margin iPhone 5. A way for them to differentiate between the high end 5s and slightly lower end 5c. So you don't have the same issue apple had with the 4s and 4.

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that the iPhone is a premium or 'luxury' product, but I'm not surprised that Apple didn't make the iPhone 5C a cheap phone. It was meant as a replacement for the 5 and nothing else.

Apple already commands a huge share in the American market. They don't need to sell a low cost iPhone to maintain a leg-up on the competition, as the iPhone is doing pretty good as a phone. It's still one of the topmost selling smartphones on the planet, after all. iPhones aren't luxury smartphones but Apple has an image to maintain, which is one of high quality products. They won't make a low quality product for market share and ruin the brand. I don't care what people say, the 5C is mostly stainless steel. The plastic back is mostly for visual effect. You won't suddenly see Apple drop the phone's price by $200 for that.

As for emerging markets, Apple is a premium brand in some of those markets. It would damage the 'luxury' brand that Apple holds in those markets if they release a cheap phone.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that the iPhone is a premium or 'luxury' product, but I'm not surprised that Apple didn't make the iPhone 5C a cheap phone. It was meant as a replacement for the 5 and nothing else.

Apple already commands a huge share in the American market. They don't need to sell a low cost iPhone to maintain a leg-up on the competition, as the iPhone is doing pretty good as a phone. It's still one of the topmost selling smartphones on the planet, after all. iPhones aren't luxury smartphones but Apple has an image to maintain, which is one of high quality products. They won't make a low quality product for market share and ruin the brand. I don't care what people say, the 5C is mostly stainless steel. The plastic back is mostly for visual effect. You won't suddenly see Apple drop the phone's price by $200 for that.

As for emerging markets, Apple is a premium brand in some of those markets. It would damage the 'luxury' brand that Apple holds in those markets if they release a cheap phone.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd disagree. By definition, the iPhone, and pretty much everything Apple makes, are very much premium products.

Premium:
-6. of exceptional quality or greater value than others of its kind; superior.
-7. of higher price or cost.
-b. in demand.

Also, "Luxury" and "Premium" are often confused for one another, or at the least, thought to go hand in hand. Not always true. Things can be premium without being a luxury. Things that are a luxury should usually also be premium, but that is not always so. I do not consider Apple a luxury brand. I do not consider the iPhone a luxury device. The Vertu Constellation is an example of a luxury device.

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd disagree. By definition, the iPhone, and pretty much everything Apple makes, are very much premium products.

Premium:
-6. of exceptional quality or greater value than others of its kind; superior.
-7. of higher price or cost.
-b. in demand.

Also, "Luxury" and "Premium" are often confused for one another, or at the least, thought to go hand in hand. Not always true. Things can be premium without being a luxury. Things that are a luxury should usually also be premium, but that is not always so. I do not consider Apple a luxury brand. I do not consider the iPhone a luxury device. The Vertu Constellation is an example of a luxury device.

Ugh...Vertu. I had that in mind while writing my post but left it out. I guess it's inclusion was imminent, though...

Yep, I guess Apple products can be called premium. It's just that any gadget marked as a 'luxury' product just gets under my skin...and the iPhone happens to be my favourite smartphone. I guess I'm just a bit touchy there :D

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I understand it's business, the greed side but I also believe they are afraid of changes just look how long they took to release the iPad mini.

I knew C meant Color but like many I wanted it to be Cheap like Google's nexus line up. I love android but would've bought one as a Back-Up/iPod. Don't tell they couldn't price these at $399 & $449 unlocked.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I understand it's business, the greed side but I also believe they are afraid of changes just look how long they took to release the iPad mini.

How long they took to release the iPad mini? The original iPad came out in 2010. The iPad 2 in 2011. The first mainstream successful smaller tablets, like the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0, Kindle Fire, and Nook, also all came out and grew in popularity in 2011. Apple responded and released the iPad Mini in 2012.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
And as far as Apple's tax situation, they pay every dollar that they owe. They also take every tax break to which they are entitled. I’d wager that you do, too. So let’s leave the inference of any tax impropriety out of the discussion, shall we?

On that point, BS. Apple hides tons of money in off shore accounts. They don't pay every dollar they owe. No corporation in America does. in the 40s and 50s Americans were about hard work and paying their fair share. Now Americans are about doing the least amount of work and finding whatever hole in the tax code they can find to avoid paying taxes. That's the decline of the modern American. Every corporation and every person is greedy. Apple isn't a bit different. And i don't get any tax breaks. Sorry. I pay every dime of mine. Apple is one of the many corporate tax succubuses bleeding the tax paying American middle class and working poor dry. I don't have any bank accounts in Switzerland or account in the Cayman Islands to receive income. I don't have legions of accountants scouring taxes for loopholes. I got a pencil and a 1040. And I don't have lobbyist in congress rewriting tax code to provide holes for me to not have to pay. That this is an apple site full of apple lovers doesn't change that. they make good products that just work. Hell, so do oil companies. It ain't like the gas doesn't actually work.That don't mean they aren't cheats too. Apple lovers love to fellate the all mighty Apple and excuse all the bad deeds. They cult is one step off from the beliebers in their ability to excuse pad deeds. The tax code needs major reform to cut out all the loopholes that these companies use to hide money while good working people are forced to pay all their taxes without loopholes, tax havens or armies of accountants. That's the new America. Find me a way to not pay.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple doesn't "hide" money offshore. Get your facts straight.

Apple earns profits from their foreign business units, and continues to invest overseas in a large part because of the confiscatory tax policies of the US.

If they bring that money back to invest in the US, the government takes between 40 and 50% in taxes.

Anyone - business or individual - would be foolish to accept that, so they invest abroad.

Good for the company. Good for the stockholders.

The US can stop this by simply taxing corporations a reasonable rate for money's earned by overseas business units, however they have refused to do so, forcing any company who wishes to compete internationally to invest their foreign profits abroad.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll