iPhone 5c Prices

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5C Prices

The Apple event is going on right now, and they've just announced the iPhone 5c. They've gone through the tech specs, and now on to the pricing! Here's the deal:

• 16GB model - $99 (on 2-year contract)
  • 32GB model - $199 (on 2-year contract)

Could be a real sweet spot here for not only emerging markets, but families as well. A $100 iPhone? Who wants!?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5C Prices

The Apple event is going on right now, and they've just announced the iPhone 5c. They've gone through the tech specs, and now on to the pricing! Here's the deal:

• 16GB model - $99 (on 2-year contract)
  • 32GB model - $199 (on 2-year contract)

Could be a real sweet spot here for not only emerging markets, but families as well. A $100 iPhone? Who wants!?

That's a awesome deal on basically an iPhone 5 with a better from camera. I see them selling a lot of these. Good move Apple

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

Apple is very smart keeping a solid device at a attractive price point.. They will sell a ton

mase123987

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

I am reading stories regarding the 5c. Usually with stories like this, you get about half the people praising the Apple product and half blindly hating. With this, about 90% of those posting are saying it is over priced.

I honestly don't see how this will help sell that many more iPhones then what would have been sold before. While probably unrealistic, most people I heard talking about this before was hoping for a iPhone 5c in the $400 range locked and off contract.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

I am reading stories regarding the 5c. Usually with stories like this, you get about half the people praising the Apple product and half blindly hating. With this, about 90% of those posting are saying it is over priced.

I honestly don't see how this will help sell that many more iPhones then what would have been sold before. While probably unrealistic, most people I heard talking about this before was hoping for a iPhone 5c in the $400 range locked and off contract.

You get a $99 iPhone. People are paying $199 for a lesser phone right now. The 5c is a little better than the current 5 and its $100 cheaper!

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

mase123987

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

You get a $99 iPhone. People are paying $199 for a lesser phone right now. The 5c is a little better than the current 5 and its $100 cheaper!

Isn't that what the iPhone 5 would become as soon as the iPhone 5s comes out? Point being, it is just what it would be normally (5 and 5c are basically the same for all intensive purposes). It seems like normal prices to me and nothing special. (Correct me if I am wrong in this section).

As for the OP: James said it could be big for emerging markets. In most emerging markets, people are paying off contract for their phone. That is why you see phones like the Lumia 520-720 range really popular in place like India. With a $549 off contract price in the US (and more in other places), it isn't for emerging markets.

Personally, I think Apple would have been better off creating a colorful iPhone in the $300-$400 range if they wanted to expand in markets in which buying phones on contract isn't popular.

maj71303

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site

Wrong on that front as it is an 5 in a plastic body. The 5C is the same as the 5 but plastic body. The 5S has the new chip and all the new features, the 5C is a 5 with slightly bigger battery, tweaked camera to a degree but not on 5S level and color. Not much of an upgrade from a 5 imo.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I think the pricing point should have started at $79...and while that $20 difference might seem insignificant, consider this for the "cheaper" phones...the pricing point for smart phones with most of the carriers starts at $49.99, and that is typically for either refurbs or the junk class phones...and it goes up incrementally from there up to the $99 price point (which includes phones like the HTC One, Blackberry Z10, etc).

Now the iPhone 5C is obviously not a junk phone...so the entry point is a bit too low, but it's also missing function from being a top end release (which the BB Z10 and HTC One still include at the $99 price point)...so mid range at $79 honestly makes sense, not to mention looking more appealing to the budget minded families trying to get their kids a nice device that they want.

My only hangup is the competitiveness with the iPod Touch, and what I can only assume is an attempt to refrain from ruining sales in that arena.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

the problem is with the off contract price. If apple thought of gaining market share then I don't think iPhone 5C would be doing that.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

the problem is with the off contract price. If apple thought of gaining market share then I don't think iPhone 5C would be doing that.

It competes with the Android phones in the $50-100 range. It has better specs and features versus what you get from Android in that range. People will buy them up pretty quick.

mase123987

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

It competes with the Android phones in the $50-100 range. It has better specs and features versus what you get from Android in that range. People will buy them up pretty quick.

Look at the Optimus G Pro on AT&T for $100 on contract. It takes the cake as far as features go. It also runs smooth as butter.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Definitely wrong about having better specs, most android phones have better specs than the iphone 5 or 5c, and a lot of them are 99, doesn't mean they run as well as the iphone but they definitely have better specs.

Also I was hoping this would be cheaper off contract, maybe not 199 off contract like the nexus 4 but like 399-450 would have been nice.

mase123987

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Definitely wrong about having better specs, most android phones have better specs than the iphone 5 or 5c, and a lot of them are 99, doesn't mean they run as well as the iphone but they definitely have better specs.

Also I was hoping this would be cheaper off contract, maybe not 199 off contract like the nexus 4 but like 399-450 would have been nice.

I'm a tech guy and would have been happy to throw down on the 5c at $399 just to stay up with Apple, but not a $549. The last three phones I bought were all cheaper (Lumia 920, Z10, Optimus G Pro). It seems like Apple would want to gain more share below the high end by reinventing their cheaper offerings, but this isn't any cheaper.

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm a tech guy and would have been happy to throw down on the 5c at $399 just to stay up with Apple, but not a $549. The last three phones I bought were all cheaper (Lumia 920, Z10, Optimus G Pro). It seems like Apple would want to gain more share below the high end by reinventing their cheaper offerings, but this isn't any cheaper.
I checked at Amazon here in the UK yesterday and the Galaxy S4, the HTC One, the BB Z10, the Nokia 925 and the Sony Xperia Z were all available for less than an iPhone 5C. Now these are at discounted prices, but you already know that the iPhone will never be discounted. I have actually seen iPhones on sale at Amazon for more than what Apple charges, meaning that even the mighty Amazon can't get a discount out of Apple.

Last edited:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

I'm sure Apple will sell a lot of 5C's..... but the sweet spot in my opinion for an unlocked version would be $450 - 500 and $ 50 with contract in order to differentiate it better from the 5S..... $99 dollars will get lots of people, but what if you tell them all the things you get ( processor, camera, fingerprint, etc ) for only 100 dollars more??.... having said that, I know many many people just dont care, they see it's 100 bucks cheaper and go for it, price is a feature that many customers put on top of the list..

Saul1

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Iphone 5c is really a awesome phone and its available in very cheap price if you compare with 5s,.......

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

$399 off contract? lol...be realistic here, $399 off contract is not realistic, especially with an iPod Touch at the same pricing point.

People keep using this word "Cheap", this was never intended to be a "Cheap" product, this was intended to be a CHEAPER product, and that's exactly what it is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods