Battery and reception issues

jonsigler12

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Activated a 5 we had for our son at Christmas.

Several times we have found the phone not working (the telephone part of things). Can't make calls, calls go straight to voice mail, screen shows "no service" some of the time but not always when this problem is present.

Called Verizon several times and it always works when we got off the phone with them. It has been reprovisioned, hard reset, reset, and so on.

Last night we found the same problem and called. They ran some diagnostic test and said the battery has failed and that is the cause of the problems. We could buy a refurb 5s but they couldn't do anything else.

Found Battery Plus offers a replacement battery for $50 so we brought it there to try. Battery Plus said the battery might be failed but that isn't going to change the reception problem (as they diagnose).

Verizon being lazy and selling me a story or will the battery fix this? Find it hard to believe Battery Plus would give up the sale if that is the problem

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The battery, in my opinion, is not the culprit, especially when you experience the dreaded "no signal" and/or after contacting them, the problem gets resolved. With that in mind, do you have a protective case covering the iPhone? If so, how thick is it? Does the problem exist when not in the protective case? Have you tried resetting the "network settings" or restoring the device and then setting it up as a new device?

jonsigler12

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
The battery, in my opinion, is not the culprit, especially when you experience the dreaded "no signal" and/or after contacting them, the problem gets resolved. With that in mind, do you have a protective case covering the iPhone? If so, how thick is it? Does the problem exist when not in the protective case? Have you tried resetting the "network settings" or restoring the device and then setting it up as a new device?

Happens no matter the case or lack there of.

We have reset network settings and reset the device as new among the many things we have done with Verizon.

I make no claims that the battery is in perfect health, this is a used 5. Just don't think the battery is why the phone doesn't work.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I make no claims that the battery is in perfect health, this is a used 5. Just don't think the battery is why the phone doesn't work.

I agree with you. I think the problem is your location in regard to Verizon's wireless signal reception or lack thereof. Do they have a signal booster or something that can be installed at your location?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My kids had our old 5s and a battery replacement stopped problems but it was so bad at time of replacement the kid pretty much used the phone plugged in and not for talking.

It's hard to say with an older phone but my experience is Verizon support works just as hard to keep you happy for all devices. I deal with them for business so not everything's a new phone.

When I've taken devices to Apple Store they've done diagnostics beyond the battery. That would be your safest bet to know if you have a bad phone but the Apple Store battery replacement will cost a bit more. Again, it's from the volume of dealing with business but I've had Apple Store do repairs that failed and hand me a new or refurbished phone or device. With that experience I will at times go to Apple Store even though I do regular business with Batteries Plus.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW