L:isten to incoming text messages over car bluetooth

jay pugh

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone have the steps or know of a guide on how to listen to sms messages over a car's speakers via Bluetooth? My old Windows phone did read texts via Bluetooth over car speakers.

I have iphone5 and ios9.2 on the phone. It is paired via Bluetooth in a 2012 Nissan Altima. It does receive calls via Bluetooth.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Go to Settings > Bluetooth, tap the "i" next to your car's Bluetooth, and toggle on Show Notifications.
e7773accb2e60ccc69ec2a16b270c4de.jpg

jay pugh

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Well on my iPhone when it is connected to the car Bluetooth and you go to the settings you suggest that option does not even show up. What you suggest appears to be an OS option but it is not present on my phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well on my iPhone when it is connected to the car Bluetooth and you go to the settings you suggest that option does not even show up. What you suggest appears to be an OS option but it is not present on my phone.

I think it's based on the vehicle's hands-free capabilities, and thus, what appears on that particular screen will be different for many people.

jay pugh

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Here is another wrinkle to this mystery. I have paired a windows phone with 8.1 OS to the car in the past. When paired the Lumia would send/receive text message as well as phone calls over the cars speakers when connected. So I know the Altima vehicle is capable of reading out loud sms messages with the version of Bluetooth installed by Nissan. Could it be because the iPhone is a 5?? Does anyone know about 5S or the iPhone 6 and Nissan Bluetooth?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2