My iPhone 5 iOS 8.4 compass if frozen, how can I fix it?

I

iMore Question

Iphone 5 IOS 8.4 Compass Frozen

My compass has been frozen since day 1 of upgrading to IOS 8.4.1

I have tried a hard re-booting of the phone, turning off the "true North" setting and downloading other Compass Apps to no avail. The compass wont budge with those apps either!

I calibrate with the red ball but that changes nothing. If I tap the screen the numbers dim and if I touch again, the number become brighter. I have the location services on while using the app. If I tap on the East side the dial moves to 30 degrees but, when tapped again the dial stays at North permanently.

Basically, the compass is frozen. Help!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Iphone 5 IOS 8.4 Compass Frozen

Barring any physical damage to the device that may affect the compass, feel free to try any of the following:

1. Go to Settings - General - Reset, and then select "Reset All Settings".
2. Connect your device to your computer and restore it via iTunes and then set it up as new.
3. Make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to have them diagnose the problem for you.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Iphone 5 IOS 8.4 Compass Frozen

Welcome to iMore! Could be software or hardware. Try doing a soft reset of your device. To perform a soft reset, hold both the power button and home button down until you see the Apple boot logo. If that doesn't resolve your issue try to restore and preferably set it up as a new device. If that doesn't work then it's most likely hardware related.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Iphone 5 IOS 8.4 Compass Frozen

Welcome to iMore, it appears that you need to make a Genius Bar appointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2